Author Topic: Flasher suggestions  (Read 175404 times)

Offline dkozyra15

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Flasher suggestions
« Reply #240 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:10 AM »
Landlockedviking there is a simple fix for you and your buddy with another bird is one of you goes on single beam and one on dual beam should work just fine then
A bad day of fishing is still better then a good day @ work!

Offline xtrymefire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #241 on: Feb 02, 2013, 05:51 PM »
I posted a question about getting a flasher or not and everyone was very helpful.  I decided a need one and cant decide on a Marcum lx-5, lx-3tc, Vexilar fl-18, or fl-12.  YOu guys are always very helpfull and hope you can help me dicide.  Mostly for ice fishing from about 7'-about 45', Thank you  ;D
A winner never quits, and a quitter never wins.

Offline scotthey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #242 on: Feb 02, 2013, 05:56 PM »
Between those choices i'd go with the fl-18. If I had my way though I would buy the lx-6 or lx-7.
You never know how strong you are until strong is the only option you have.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #243 on: Feb 02, 2013, 05:57 PM »
All of the above will work great, customer service from both are top notch you wouldn't go wrong with either brand. That said, I switched from Vexilar to Marcum last year as I feel the Marcum units show lure/fish with finer lines than the Vexilars do, also the Vexilars that I had would show bottom about 4 to 8 inches above where bottom actually was, fish that looked like they were on top of your lure were actually 4 to 12 inches away from the lure verified by underwater camera.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline royjboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #244 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:07 PM »
Actually, for your first one, you should consider buying a cheap used one like a FL-8 and learn ow to use one, figure out exactly what more you want and the resell and buy exactly the one thats right for you.

Offline xtrymefire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #245 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:11 PM »
I have used one many times.  I am very comfortable with one and just want to get the best my money can buy.  Thank you for everyone's input, sorry if I came off a little rude in this comment. 

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #246 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:14 PM »
Nothing wrong with an LX 5.

WS

Offline royjboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #247 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:25 PM »
I don't really know All I can afford is a fl8. But, Hummingbird just came out with some 360 degree flasher of some sort if you want to check that out.

Offline keithire2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #248 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:04 PM »
Lx 5

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #249 on: Feb 02, 2013, 08:33 PM »
i'd go lx5 out of all you mentioned.  i'd not even consider a fl12 if i fished over 40'.  a zoom is a necessity.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #250 on: Feb 02, 2013, 08:38 PM »
I really like my Lowrance x67c. Graph, Zoom, AND flasher. New units are the Elite series 4 and 5's. Best of both worlds. Then in the summer you can fit them to your boat.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #251 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:07 PM »
i'd go lx5 out of all you mentioned.  i'd not even consider a fl12 if i fished over 40'.  a zoom is a necessity.

x2

Offline Slam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #252 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:20 PM »
I am still on my first one, LX-3tc, which I purchased four years ago.  I love it!  Would like to have the dual beam transducer of the LX-5, but outside of that, no regrets.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #253 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:59 PM »
Of all your choices listed the 12 and 18 would be my last 2 choices and the 12 wouldnt even be a consideration in my book....Of those listed the 5 would be my top choice but as someone else stated go for the 6 or 7 they are simpley amazing....

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #254 on: Feb 02, 2013, 10:16 PM »
Bird ice 35 you get dual beam and zoom for the price of an fl 8 or vx1. Just throwing that out there. on my 4th year with mine and nothing but happy.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline xtrymefire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #255 on: Feb 02, 2013, 10:44 PM »
Bird ice 35 you get dual beam and zoom for the price of an fl 8 or vx1. Just throwing that out there. on my 4th year with mine and nothing but happy.

I heard somewhere that people had problems with their flasher face freezing up on the humminbirds in really cold weather.

Offline nodakclam19

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If ya can't catch em, break out the beer.
« Reply #256 on: Feb 02, 2013, 11:00 PM »
I had the FL-12 and upgraded to the LX-6 but even the LX-5 would trump the FL-18. The LX-5 has all the zoom functions you need. It can zoom throughout the entire water column, has better target definition and way finer lines over more of the vexilar "blob". I never thought I would stray away from the Vexilar's but I am happy that I did.
Fall: Duck/Pheasant/Bow Hunting
Winter: Hardwater Fishing
Spring: Snow Goose Hunting
Summer: Musky/Walleye Fishing

Offline iceauger57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #257 on: Feb 02, 2013, 11:07 PM »
I've only been ice fishing for 3 years and just this year i purchased a showdown i found it very easy to use and it's idiot proof and can be upgraded my son has no trouble using it i recommend you check it out on the marcum site and u tube

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #258 on: Feb 03, 2013, 12:44 AM »
You can't go wrong with the Hummingbird 55, Marcum LX-5 or the Vexilar FL18, Fl-20 or Fl-22. All are nice units and will be a great tool that will help you put more fish in your bucket  ;D

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #259 on: Feb 03, 2013, 04:09 AM »
I really like my Lowrance x67c. Graph, Zoom, AND flasher. New units are the Elite series 4 and 5's. Best of both worlds. Then in the summer you can fit them to your boat.
:thumbsup:

by far the best deal for your money!!! the zoom is awesome, flasher is great and the graph works wonders in the summer!!! really if you want to put fish on the ice and in the boat this is the model to choose.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Pathfinder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #260 on: Feb 03, 2013, 06:39 PM »
LX-5

Offline MTTravis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #261 on: Feb 03, 2013, 09:09 PM »
i have the vexilar fl-18 pro pack with a dual beam transducer and couldnt be happier with it.

Offline Cwab_LX5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #262 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:59 AM »
lx5 best flasher on market for price enough said get it bro wont be dissapointed

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #263 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:15 PM »
best in his opinion!    ;) ;) ;)
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #264 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:20 PM »
LX5

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #265 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Actually, for your first one, you should consider buying a cheap used one like a FL-8 and learn ow to use one, figure out exactly what more you want and the resell and buy exactly the one thats right for you.

Agree!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #266 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:35 PM »

Why? Why make it cost you $100 to "learn" when you can learn on a better unit. I guess if you can afford to upgrade every year it would be fine. But most people I have taught how to use a flasher picked it up in 5 minutes, and it was not on a fl-8.

Just does not make any sense to me!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #267 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:46 PM »
I got my wife an 18 to learn on, she hated it and couldnt understand it.... she could though easily understand my LX-5 and made me get her one and sell the 18 after 20 minutes of use....She will be running a LX-7 next season...

Offline bwana72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #268 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:53 PM »
LX5
Good Things Come To Those Who Bait

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #269 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:53 PM »
Why? Why make it cost you $100 to "learn" when you can learn on a better unit. I guess if you can afford to upgrade every year it would be fine. But most people I have taught how to use a flasher picked it up in 5 minutes, and it was not on a fl-8.

Just does not make any sense to me!

Because after I bought the FL-8 I realized the rest is a waste of money FOR ME. 1- I've never jigged in over 30ft of water. 2- We all know that fish like to suspend so seeing the bottom 6 or 12 feet is not worth paying the extra money for when it's not always needed. 3- I can recall many of years fishing with none of the stuff we have now and making it just fine so anything extra is a bonus.

This is just my opinion not saying it's right.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.