Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel

Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors

Visit MarCum
Sep 19, 2017, 08:34 AM
Team Iceshanty Mock T's
Full chest logo/iceshanty.com printed down the sleeve.
Iceshanty Proshop

Author Topic: Flasher suggestions  (Read 90739 times)

Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Re: Flasher suggestions
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2006, 09:03 PM »
Seems like a cadillac of flashers to me.

Yes, I agree, TGF.

Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2006, 09:42 PM »
For extended battery life on any flasher, unhook at least one of the leads going to the battery when you're not going to use it for a few days or longer.  If you leave battery charge status indicators hooked up to the battery, they will slowly drain the battery.  With the vex ultrapack, just turn the masterswitch to off(since battery is enclosed). Just remember to rehook the connector before using it again.
Ken                                          

oleycow

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2006, 05:10 PM »
One of the things I have not seen addressed is the way the Vex has the float with the stopper on the transducer cable and it appears the Marcum has an arm that extends out to hold the transducer cable.  I have the Vex and I like to set my transducer in the hole with the float and then let some cable out and set the Vex up on a bucket next to me.  I have never used a marcum but if this is not possible with the marcum then I'm glad I have the Vex.

LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

• Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2006, 06:28 PM »
One of the things I have not seen addressed is the way the Vex has the float with the stopper on the transducer cable and it appears the Marcum has an arm that extends out to hold the transducer cable.  I have the Vex and I like to set my transducer in the hole with the float and then let some cable out and set the Vex up on a bucket next to me.  I have never used a marcum but if this is not possible with the marcum then I'm glad I have the Vex.

I did this myself last season .. here's a link : Marcum with Float 

Those who are brave are free ..

oleycow

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2006, 10:48 PM »
Great info guys.  I have the FL18 which I love but after reading these post If I was buying today I might go with the LX5.  Maybe after a few more years I'll give my FL18 to my son and pick up an LX10 ;D

PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #25 on: Jul 17, 2008, 05:34 AM »
Some great info for a future flasher owner... only question is how does the wattage affect the performance?  In other words how much different is an 800 watt unit compared to a 2400 watt unit?

Thanks
PCB
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #26 on: Jul 17, 2008, 02:51 PM »
Mostly, it allows for better definition and signal response.  More wattage allows it to more finely distinguish fish that are hugging the bottom, or two or more fish holding next to each other. Minor fish movements are also more noticeable with the higher wattage. It also helps to eliminate interference from other nearby flashers.
If you fish deep water, the higher wattage comes in handy as there will be minimal delay response. The higher the wattage the quicker the signal is processed. 
Ken                                          

travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #27 on: Jul 18, 2008, 03:23 AM »
You make it so much easier for us to keep up on the latest and greatest.  Thanks for all the time and effort you put in to keep us up to date.
Travis

PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #28 on: Jul 18, 2008, 05:39 AM »
Thanks again for all of those who have the time, energy, and will to help the rest of us out... i think i speak for all of us when i say thank you!!
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

CNC Mike

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #29 on: Jul 19, 2008, 04:07 PM »
I noticed that the Auqa-Vu ShowDown is missing from your list. As a happy owner, I find that interesting. Especially since Nature Vision, Owners of Auqa-Vu bought Marcum.

Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic

« Reply #30 on: Jul 19, 2008, 04:25 PM »
Show Down is not a flasher. ;D

youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular

• EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #31 on: Jul 30, 2008, 04:45 PM »
i have a question on the lx5. i know they have alot more power than the vex. but i notice the vexilar tell you  the 275 milliamp hr. draw and approximate length of time a full battery will last. around 32 hrs per manual i think. i didnt notice marcum having draw info in ads and was wondering maybe the battery doesnt last as long because of power.      just something i was wondering about.
youngster

Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #32 on: Jul 30, 2008, 06:07 PM »
I have a FL-8 and a LX-3 flasher. I know my Marcum will only last about 8 hrs per charge, before getting to low to work properly and the FL-8 will last days.  That being said, the Marcum has better definition of what I am looking at below.

At least for me.  Pro's and con's to both.   

Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #33 on: Jul 30, 2008, 07:41 PM »
i have a question on the lx5. i know they have alot more power than the vex. but i notice the vexilar tell you  the 275 milliamp hr. draw and approximate length of time a full battery will last. around 32 hrs per manual i think. i didnt notice marcum having draw info in ads and was wondering maybe the battery doesnt last as long because of power.      just something i was wondering about.

I have the info on battery draw for the LX-5 listed in the first post.   
Ken                                          

youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular

• EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #34 on: Jul 31, 2008, 07:23 AM »
thanks  bean.
youngster

dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #35 on: Sep 04, 2008, 08:55 AM »
I see Thorne Brothers now has the Hummingbird Ice units on their site.

Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #36 on: Sep 04, 2008, 09:44 AM »
I just called our sponsor Fish307 and they will be carrying all 3 brands of flashers (Marcum, Vexilar, Humminbird) this winter and the NatureVision Showdown. They should have all in stock in October.  They don't have their website updated yet, but you can call them if you're interested in these(1-800-347-4307).
Ken                                          

ice dawg

• Team IceShantyholic

• Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #37 on: Sep 04, 2008, 10:25 AM »
Some great info for a future flasher owner... only question is how does the wattage affect the performance?  In other words how much different is an 800 watt unit compared to a 2400 watt unit?

Thanks
PCB
I found this little ditty that explains some of this stuff.

A flasher, such as a Vexilar, has a multi-color display to clue the operator in on size of the bait/fish/target, the orientation of bait/fish/target in the water column, and the mood of the fish or baitfish present.

The subtleties of the colors or strength of the color tells the operator in real time if the fish is getting closer to the center of the transducer beam, cone or farther away....this relates to mood.

Some criticism has been voiced on Vexilars being "Not as crisp" as in comparison to other flashers and "More fuzzy" a reading on the dial....my response is..Kewl...I like it that way.

Ah...Why....well..beca use the devil is in the details, and the fussy details at times spells out if your calling fish in or spooking them away.

Example: Did that pesky nuisance sauger just pick your shiner off your 3/8 oz jig in 50' of water...or not? Well...the "fuzzy factor" will tell you this by the multi-color bleed when your gain is properly set. Your green/orange jig...just went orange...Ah-HA!...bait picked...you see it live... even if you did not feel it. A definite Vexilar flasher advantage.

Back to the "Fuzzy Factor". What some claim to be a "True Color Display" in a flasher is in fact by design limiting the operators ability to read the subtleties that a Vexilar flasher will clearly show.

The processors in these "True Color" models have a set mission..paint targets 3 colors...no bleed...no exceptions..it is what it is, it ain't what it ain't...no exceptions...ignore information that does not fit these parameters...this does not compute.

So, in essence it is telling you only what it wants to tell you, not what is available to be told, it wants to think for you....(I hates that...Eh). Most simply put, it averages the info to be X-Y-Z..no exceptions/no subtleties....No-soup for you.

I also have a rant on power too, but I'll try to keep this short. More power/watts does not mean better performance in a flasher...period. It most certainly means more power usage and lessens battery life...that's a fact. A better processor and lower watts paints a cleaner signal in most conditions 40', or less. In open water applications the LP or Low Power mode on the Vexilar is critical to get clean readings and help to fine tune the gain to tune out alga, bubbles, suspended particulates, and bug clutter. More watts just increases/highlights the problem of clutter and diminishes your ability to read fish. For deep water more watts may help at times, but the pulse rate and interval is a more critical factor.

A good flasher on the ice or open water is a extremely handy tool. In bow mount applications, shoot through the hull installations, and especially on US2 trolling motors, it truly excels and enhances your ability's.

I hope this helps clear up some misconceptions, and highlights advantages and disadvantages
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

bart

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• I love you, Deb
« Reply #38 on: Sep 04, 2008, 12:12 PM »
I purchased my first Flasher last season, the Marcum VX-1. Absolutely happy with it, it's amazing! :thumbsup:
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #39 on: Sep 04, 2008, 01:28 PM »
The most important thing is that the user knows how to setup the unit properly and how to read what the units telling them. It doesn't matter how  fancy, expensive or features the flasher, TFT, LCD and etc has if the user doesn't know how to use it or read it, its useless. Read up on how the unit works, how to set it up and hit the water to put the theory reading to use. Its always helps to buy the most unit you can afford.

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird AcmeTackle
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved