Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | KitteryTradingPost | Cabelas
Sep 30, 2014, 11:56 PM
Support Iceshanty...
Get some great gear and forum goodies...
Join The Iceshanty Militia

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?

Author Topic: Home made Tip Up Lights  (Read 11985 times)

brujharr

• Team IceShanty Addict

Re: Home made Tip Up Lights
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2006, 06:40 PM »
I'm, still trying!!  >:(

pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2006, 11:25 PM »
You can buy something called a rollerball tilt switch for about a $1.00.  They operate on the same principal as a mercury swith but they're a sealed unit with a ball bearing inside. 

Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2006, 12:47 AM »
Never heard of them, but I'll have to look for them. Thanks Pontiac :)
Wishin' I was Fishin'

gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Tip Up!!!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2006, 04:20 AM »
I have some tip-ups in the garage that I used the christmas lights on years ago. My buddy got some mercury switches from some equipment they tore out on a job site. They were an ugly sight, but the lights were very bright. I put them on my walleye rigged tip ups so after dark, I would just pull my beaver dams with my pike rigs and drop in these baby's ready to go! It made for a quick, easy switch over with no messing around with lights. I stopped using them a while ago because of the mercury, and now a days I have the strike sensor pager system, but I will dig them out of the garage and post some pics of these ugly devils for you guys.
If you jig it...... They will come.

brujharr

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2006, 06:34 PM »
Almost, there. Material list and pictures.  :unsure:

Go Fish

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2006, 08:14 PM »
Do any of you have any problems with the 9 volt battery freezing. I have tried AA batteries and they would always freeze.

beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2006, 08:48 PM »
Unfortunately, i did have problems with the battery getting cold.  I connected a new 9 volt battery to the light.  worked really well inside, but once it sat out in the cold, (less then 15 min.) the light dimmed down to the point I couldn't hardly see it..   But in all honesty, it was a cheap battery so My advice is to purchase GOOD batteries.  I plan to get some and try it again.

Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2006, 08:55 PM »
Go Fish, I've never had a problem with the 9volt batteries freezing. The only drawback is the price. I had a free supply when my wife was working at the hospital. They change them regularly in the med equipt. I went to Radio  Shack today to try to get a few of the super bright LED's that run on 2-3 volts but they didn't have any. I figured I could use two 1 1/2v AA batteries to save a few bucks. Still looking.

PS: beeverfishing posted while I was typing this. I used Duracell alkaline batteries. They went the whole season with out a problem. Just keep them out of the water if it is sloppy out. If it was wet I took them from the clip and rubber banded them to the flag spring.

beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2006, 09:09 PM »
I used Duracell alkaline batteries. They went the whole season with out a problem.

Thank you dblsshtr, I"ll pick up some tomarrow and give it an other try.  I should have known better, trying to save a buck and end up spending twice as much.  Never fails...

gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Tip Up!!!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2006, 08:15 AM »
Hey guys, here are some pics of my old christmas light tip-ups.

I made a styrofoam holder for the 9 volt, seemed to help with freezing, but I also learned quickly that batteries is not the place to try and save a buck :P. The mercury switch was just the right size so the flag would still pop despite the weight, I just had to make sure it was set the right way in the wind.

Merry Christmas everyone! and tight lines!
If you jig it...... They will come.

Go Fish

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2006, 12:38 PM »
Just a thought I had to maybe keep the battery from freezing was to use two different colored lights. Use one color when the tip up is set and another when it is tripped. Thinking the battery would always be active. Any one ever try this?

jb7mmstw

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #31 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:38 AM »
If you wire it up for AA bateries you could use Lithium batteries which arn't affected by the cold.  I use them in my trail camera in the winter and there good for over 900 pictures.  Regular batteries in the cold won't last one night.  There alot more expensive but should last all winter and hey... if we wanted to save money we'ed go to the store and BUY fish ;D.

macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:19 AM »
Just took down the Christmas lights last night and had a string that was not working up to my wife's specifications.    ;)   Lucky me....  So I grabbed a tip-up, a 9 volt battery and headed to the shop.  My problem was that 9v was too much for the light and it would quickly burn out (i.e 2 - 3 seconds).  Have any of you had that problem?  My solution was to gang 4 lights in parallel.  Now when the flag goes up there is enough light to read by!  The down side is the size of the contraption.  It it too much to put by the flag, so I'm working on a removable stand that will have a quick attach mechanism to the base of the flag spring.  I'll be modifiying my prototype and will post pictures if I get it to my liking.
My plan is to make something that will be removed when not in use.

Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2007, 04:14 PM »
Macker, Try the bulbs from a 25 light or fewer string. They handle more voltage.

macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2007, 07:45 AM »
Hmmm.  25 or fewer lights on a string...I'll have to see if we have any of those.  If we do I'm certain that that sting will experience "issues" and need to be replaced.   ;)

saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular

• team CanAm
« Reply #35 on: Jan 11, 2007, 12:06 PM »
I took Muski Nuts idea but went one step farther and also added an old smoke detector to it now it shines and screams like a banshee............... .
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #36 on: Jan 12, 2007, 07:22 AM »
Smoke detectors....hmmm yeah, I have a few of those in the house.  One or two might experience some technical difficulties....   ;)

Thanks for the advice.  I picked up some parts at Radio Shack last night and will be tinkering in the coming weeks.

Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #37 on: Jan 13, 2007, 07:34 AM »
Anybody know where I can find those ball switches that are replacing the mercury ones? No luck at my local Radio Shack.

Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2007, 12:21 PM »
Well, since I started this thread, I've gotten alot of excellent ideas from you.  I especially like the smoke detector idea.
Macker, hope to see some pics of your rig.  ;D
Wishin' I was Fishin'

saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #39 on: Jan 17, 2007, 06:59 PM »
Here try this page i had my dad working on a setup up for me and my son.
http://www.mouser.com/search/Refine.aspx?Ne=254016+1447464&N=1323038%20254113&Ns=P_SField&RefType=Header

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved