Author Topic: Humminbird Proflasher  (Read 9424 times)

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
Humminbird Proflasher
« on: Oct 07, 2006, 02:26 PM »
I was recently given a Humminbird Proflasher.  Does anyone here have any experience with these? 
Darkhouse

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Humminbird Proflasher
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2006, 02:30 PM »
 I have a Hummingbird Pro Flasher Jimmy Houston Modle that I used for several years.
 It worked very well as long as I was not too close to guys with more powerful units that would put a lot of interference on the screen.
 I used it on my boat in the summer and on ice in the winter.
 I had it rigged with a portable battery and made a carry case for it out of a plastice tub.
 I didn't have an ice ducer for it and used the skimmer that I had on the boat which I rigged to hang in the hole off of it's own cable.
 I caught a lot of fish with it and my buddy went out and bought a vex when they came out after watching what my little pro flasher was able to do
 I still have the operating manual if you have any questions I may be able to help.
 Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2006, 05:15 PM »
Thanks winchester.  I went to the  Humminbird web site and downloaded the manual.  I look forward to using it this year.  I need to rig up a case for it, get a new battery, and remount the transducer, but for the price (free) I think it is a good deal.
Darkhouse

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2006, 09:37 PM »
darkhouse...
 If you go to page 57 of the general forum there is a section called"How to construct a transducer rod" that has a lot of info which can help you set up the Proflasher.

Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?

The book of Job.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2006, 06:14 PM »
Thanks again winchester.  When it was given to me, it was mounted in a  broken tackle box, I am not sure if I want to mount it in another tackle box or something else.  It has the transom mount transducer that is jerry rigged to a piece of PVC pipe with a hole in it that a 1/2" dowel goes through to make it hang from the tackle box.  I was thinking of using some foam and remounting it so it would hang/float in the hole like the Vex's.  It had a motorcycle battery with it, but it will no longer hold a charge so I thought I would replace it w/ a similar battery.  I think once I get it all squared away I will really enjoy it.  I hope to use it on my canoe during the summer months as well.  Like I told the guy that gave it to me, in a few years I can tell the wife that my "old" fish finder just isn't working as good as it used to, and I'll be able to upgrade to a vex w/ out her getting as upset. ;)  At least it's worth a shot anyway.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2006, 10:17 PM »
Sounds like it should work fine.....ive seen one used open water before and it worked good. Love the avatar BTW ;)

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2006, 11:42 AM »

I ditched the old tackle box and fabricated an aluminum tray to hold everything.  Picked up a new battery and set up the power cord w/ alligator clips.  Superglued the transducer cable to the the top of the transducer to make it hang level.  Had an old camouflage duffel bag that everything fits in real nice.  I've got an old DC converter for a CD player that I will put alligator clips on to charge the battery so I don't have to take a battery charger w/ me.  I sure am looking forward to using it. 
Winchester 88 do you have a fuse on your flashers power cable?  Thanks for the help.
Darkhouse

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2006, 07:10 PM »

dark...
 Nice job on setting up your proflasher..
 Yes I do have a fuse on my power cable. Go to Radio Shack and get a in line buss fuse holder with a 1 amp buss fuse (I looked it up in the Proflasher manual) and splice it between the red batt term and the red wire in the power cable.

Also if you want a neat way to suspend the transducer that is like the one that the vex and lowrance units use here is what I did on my new lowrance.
 Get a piece of 3/8 plastic plumbing pipe and cut it the same length as the front of the base that you made for your unit.
 drill a 3/16 hole thru it 1/2" from one end and 1" from the other end. Keep the same center line for both holes.
 On the second hole cut a slot from the end of the pipe back to the hole that you drilled. Make the slot wide enough to slide the transducer cable thru from the end of the pipe into the hole.
 Mount the pipe to your base at the left front side with a screw, flat washer and a wing nut.This will make an arm that you can swing out over the ice hole then put the tran cable in the slot on the other end and loop it back over the top of the pipe and the weight of the tran will hold it at what ever level you choose.Mine works slick.
Good fishin..
 Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?

The book of Job.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2006, 09:28 PM »
Thanks Winchester that's a great idea.  You have been more than helpful, thank you.
Darkhouse

trapperdirk

« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2006, 03:20 AM »
Nice package you have put together there darkhousefisher and very workable . I rigged something similar with a graph of mine and it still gets used at times by friends .  Good job lad . ;)

TD

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2006, 09:47 AM »
thanks TD.  I hope to someday get a flasher w/ zoom, but until then I think this will be real nice.  Now all I need is some ice ;D
Darkhouse

trapperdirk

« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2006, 10:08 AM »
thanks TD.  I hope to someday get a flasher w/ zoom, but until then I think this will be real nice.  Now all I need is some ice ;D
Darkhouse

I hear ya lad with the ice . ;D You will do fine with what you have and the longer you can stick with it the better and I in no way ever mean to imply that one must have the latest and greatest on the ice to survive . Long as you can see the jig and fish your a contender in the hunt for fish .

I have a buddy we always tease when icefishing because when he shakes out his gadgets etc it's like watching the antiques roadshow . Now his graph definately is ancient but was THE UNIT of the day and he certainly has no problems catching fish with it or deciphering their moods . He was our Crappy Fest King last year and was among many in a crowd who owned alot of the latest and greatest in sonar tech . ;) That old unit also likes to kick out a fair bit of interference and he laughs even after I put my LX-3 transducer in the same hole as his and his old graph had no issues and just kept on working just fine to my surprise . LOL :o ;D I've seen my LX-3 completely black out a bottom buddy before but it sure didn't his antique . LOL

TD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.