Author Topic: Homemade depth finder??  (Read 2434 times)

Offline 2inchofice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mass hick and proud
Homemade depth finder??
« on: Sep 15, 2006, 03:31 AM »
Hello, Last season I saw a guy with a homemade icefishing depth finder.  It was made from a boat's depth finder.  He basically had the monitor mounted to something like a tipup. It seemed to be one of those $100 ones.  It seemed to be working fine, but the guy wasn't very fluent in the english language.  Does anybody know if this system works cuz I'm about to try it. Thanks
NObody understands ice the way we do.

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
Re: Homemade depth finder??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2006, 04:56 AM »
I,ve used that system before ice fishing fishfinders were available and they work great.Cut down the support arms on a tip-up to a little longer then the size of your hole, remove the reel and add your transducer.

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2006, 06:09 AM »
 before buying my vexilar, i used my eagle, it works ok, but the lcd is not as cold tollerent as the flasher. it is kind of neat to watch a laker come off bottom and hit your jig, with a lcd unit.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2006, 09:01 AM »
Used a Humminbird 300TX for a while till finances (and wife) allowed a flasher into the house.
Inside a shack, keep it relatively warm, and it works reasonably well.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2006, 09:53 AM »
Ive been using my humminbird lcr 400 past few years    upgraded this year to a lcr 4000d  lolthe 400 worked fine for me   of course I used it in my shack where it is warm!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline molsonport

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2006, 01:27 PM »
i use my old eagle it works fine in my scout,must keep the battery warm. made transducer pole out of PVC 3/4pipe this works great also.

trapperdirk

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2006, 05:41 PM »
Yeah I used to use my old Eagle Magna 11 on the ice and just attached the transducer to a set of crossed wooden poles and it still gets used on occassion in winter if someone comes fishing with me that doesn't own a sonar .  ;) Works when setup right just not as sweet a package as compared to those that are specially prerigged for icefishing by the manufacturer . ;D

TD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.