Author Topic: Cost of a Ice Shack  (Read 19363 times)

zachums2002

Cost of a Ice Shack
« on: Dec 09, 2002, 09:23 AM »
I was wondering if anyone out there knows an approximate cost to build a permanent shack. I am also looking for ideas for it as well.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re: Cost of a Ice Shack
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2002, 09:31 AM »
How big? Insulated or not? Wheels or skids? A few more details and I can give you a ball park. I just finished mine...it's 5'x8'. I have pic's on my web page if you want some ideas.

Esox

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2002, 11:45 AM »
I have seen guys build 2 holers for about $100.  People have some for sale that range anywhere from $250 to $20,000.  Some of the nicest fishhouses are on Mille Lac's in Minnesota.  A few of the actually made the 10:00 news.  I believe they have competitions up there.  One actually had a gas fireplace in it...

Jon

« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2002, 03:35 PM »
 When my Boss(The BETTER HALF) and I we're building our current "Allagash Condo", she talked to a place I think they called Ralph's R/V she found it on the web it's up around Mn. somewhere and Ralph said the one he was just finishing up was $26,000. Just so you know we don't have that in the "Condo" it's 8x16 completely custom, every thing but a flush toilet and a sat. dish and our cost was $2,850.00 and I was just asked today if I would take $5,000. for it.
  Yup you guessed it We are proud of it!!!
  We don't think it matters how much, how fancy,or how big just build what will suit you and your family, pack all the kids up with you and get FISHING!!! When you HOOK A KID ON FISHING, you hook'um for life!!!   Have fun and BE SAFE!!!

Victor Truman

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2002, 04:34 PM »
I just finnished a 6x7 for $700 Canadian including siding and foam seats

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2002, 10:23 AM »
Most people around my neck of the woods put their houses on 4x4's.  I saw something on Lake Mille Lac's a few years ago.  They usually have a flooding problem on the lake when they start to get a lot of snow on the ice.  What they do is they have a floating set of runners under the fishhouse.  They build a frame to set the main part of the house on.  If for some reason someone decides to drill a hole next to their house to use it as a wind block and ends up freezing the house to the lake they just pull the fishhouse off the skid and put it on another one.  Of course they make sure they build two skids identical before they put the house out...  I just thought it was a good idea.  There have been many years where people burn the houses down cause they can't get them off the lake...

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2002, 11:01 AM »
You can prevent freezing to the ice in one of two ways-1) bring some spare pcs of scrap 2x4 with you and place under runners each time your out fishing:2) just move it each time to solid ice,even if you make a circle thruoghout the season.It has worked both ways for me.
Good Luck -Good Fishing
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

walleye_fever

« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2003, 06:27 AM »
i built an 8x16 this year..hydraulic lift..tires on the inside..30 year white tin on the outside..low e insulated windows. 36 inch steel door..11 gauge 2x8 steel runners 30,000 btu garage heater...fold down hitch on it ...cost me $3,000...2x4 walls ..insulated with paneling inside...didnt need that big of a heater...it keeps it 85 degrees at the lowest setting...all i need to do now is put bunks in it..etc

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2003, 07:13 AM »
i built one last year 2 by 6 ski's poly pipe on the runners 2 by 4  floor supports 5/8 inch plywood floor and a foor up on the sides 1/4 inch plywood like stuff sides 2 by 2 supports and a tin roof oh and plexi glass sliding windows cost was about 150 bucks its 6 by 8 and is a 4 holer with 10 inch holes havent gotten it out on the ice yet
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Dihardfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WISCONSIN GOATS!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2003, 04:40 PM »
My father and I built a Ice shack this year and it is 8'x6'.  It has four holes that can be drilled by a 10" augur.It has a sloped roof with tar paper on top.  It is really nice.  The walls are made out of 2x2's w/ 2x4's for the corners.  It is completly insulated except for the roof and door.  It is heated by a Mr. heated with a hose that goes to the tank outside.  It stays real nice and toasty.  It cost about $200.  

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re:Cost of a Ice Shack
« Reply #10 on: Jul 05, 2003, 07:26 AM »
built a hut style this past year. 4x8 cost about 100.00 dollars works real well.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline blundell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2006, 06:59 PM »
My father and I built a Ice shack this year and it is 8'x6'.  It has four holes that can be drilled by a 10" augur.It has a sloped roof with tar paper on top.  It is really nice.  The walls are made out of 2x2's w/ 2x4's for the corners.  It is completly insulated except for the roof and door.  It is heated by a Mr. heated with a hose that goes to the tank outside.  It stays real nice and toasty.  It cost about $200.  
                     I have been looking for somthing like this for along time. think u can give me some hits or maybe even i can buy the plans from u.thank you

Offline fishingwithkids

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pop your magic twanger froggy........
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2006, 07:52 AM »
a few years back my dad and i built an 8-10.it has aluminum framed windows we got at a home salvage place a custom made door a 30000 BTU propane heater and foundation foam insulation 2 in. thick.we had all the studding cut at a saw mill paid cash and wood was 1/2 price[greenbacks talk]total build approx....1000$ this house will sleep 4 adult males big guys!!!       i will try to get pictures of it .not much ice in southern NH so it may remain a shed this year...

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2006, 09:25 PM »
Built an 8*12 with my friends this year and ended up spending around 3000 on it. It has 2.5 inch square tubing frame along with winch up/down wheel system. 2*4 walls, 2 inch foam insulation walls and floor. 2 bunks, 30000 btu garage heater just to name a few things.

Offline hunter13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2006, 10:37 PM »
nice shack drabbit  we just built a pop up camper into a shanty we have $200 into it right still need to insulate it

hunter13

"Grab your rod and git-r-done!"  VERMONT

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2006, 09:58 AM »
we built an 8x12 3/4 " treated floor 2x4 walls one 8fter the rest 7ft  1/4 inch sheeting steel roof we spent approx. $650.00 give or take $50 got the steel for nothing also we bought 1" styrofoam for insulation. we built it on an old camper frame its but its pretty heavy.
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

grumpymoe

« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2006, 07:39 PM »
Don't invest too much time & money on a shack that will be sitting on the Red. Sooner of later it will probably be vandalized or knocked over.
...Location....Location....Location.....5 yrs on the Red....the last was in 2002......never had a problem......the reason is the proximity to eyes.....(not walleyes)....but the EOM within view, pretty much keeps the creeps away.....Grump

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2006, 11:52 PM »
My 6 x 9 has so far cost me about $96... $80 for 5 sheets of  foam insulation and $16 for assorted nails and screws .
A lot of the material was donated by my son(used lumber and tin roofing ) the rest I mostly had on hand or scrounged .
I gotta buy one more sheet(4x8) of insulation to do the ceiling and pick up 2 more 1/4 OSB panels and some tin from my kid's place to finish off the ceiling and roof (so far only have the trusses up)
The walls and gable ends are completed ....finally ...it's a bummer working with this cold/flu ,  that's been hanging on for 3 weeks ....

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:55 PM »
nice shack drabbit  we just built a pop up camper into a shanty we have $200 into it right still need to insulate it

I would love to see your pop up shanty as im making one soon.check your email or private messages.thanks

hunter13

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:59 PM »
cost is nothing!  peace of mind away from the house and other thingS  priceless      100 and up you set your limits or start cheap  and constantly improve!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Thestanimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Learn How to Work Kid"
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2006, 03:38 PM »
I spent about $500 on a modified 6x8 shack.  You can check out pics on other threads.
"Hope is the last thing a person does before they are defeated"  -Henry Rollins

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.