Author Topic: Portable heater  (Read 8104 times)

wsb_bwhntr

Portable heater
« on: Dec 26, 2002, 03:25 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a little heater soon.  I'm getting a Frabill Venture and want something to keep it warm without being huge.  I know some of the heaters advertise that you can also cook on them.  Are they just talking about a pot on top of the element or cooking directly on the wires.  Seems kinda messy.  Anyways just looking for some input as to which portable heaters are lightweight, run good and reliably, and put out enough heat.  Also does anyone have any input on heaters with electronic ignition versus without.  How long does the ignition work? (i.e. is it like all gas grills that work for 2 months and then you have to replace the igniter).

thanks,
bill

p.s. I did just get the Coleman Sportvat for xmas, but think I'm going to need something a little higher up the food chain:}

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
Re: Portable heater
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2002, 04:22 PM »
I have an old Zebco propane heater, its a 10,000Btu heater, I used it in a large tent when camping during deer season, I tried it in the ice shanty, way too hot! I then used a coleman lantern, then went to a coleman one burner gas stove, which puts out heat and is great to cook on, but does have some fumes.
This year I bought a Coleman sport cat, I set up the shanty in the yard on a cold day, fired up the heater and went into the house. I came out a half hour later, and the inside of the shanty was as cold as the outside. I took it back and bought the Blackcat. Ive been out about everyday, and its does fine, but, it really hasnt been that cold yet. I still take the one burner stove, and use it for cooking and boiling water for coffee/tea/hot chocalot. If I only had one to take, I would opt for the stove, it takes up very little room, and is veritile. I take extra gas in an emty one quart oil bottle.

wsb_bwhntr

« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2002, 04:28 PM »
Thanks Kenelz,

That's the kind of info I'm looking for.  I've been looking at the Blackcat too, but was unsure of how good the electronic ignition works.  Basically is it reliable and worth the extra bucks.  Does anyone out there know the BTU's on the different colemans and how they compare to the Buddy Heater?

Thanks,
bill

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2002, 04:50 PM »
The sportcat is 1,000 Btus, the Blackcat is 3,000 Btus. Mine doesnt have the electronic ignition, so I cant help you there, but, it only takes one match to light. The Buddy heater is real popular, but is about twice the price of the cat and I'm not sure of the btus of it.

Offline Fish247

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • So many fish, so little time!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2002, 12:43 PM »
I have a heater buddy and it works great.  The low setting puts out 4000 btus and the high setting 9 or 10,000 btus(I forget).  I rarely use the high setting though.  The electronic ignition works great.  I even dropped it down the stairs and it still ignites like a charm.  In my opinion it's a good buy.

Eric
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more serious than that!!

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2002, 07:49 AM »
I use a Mr Heater that has 3 heat settings.  The bad thing is they can depleat the O2 out of your shanty in a hurry if you are not careful (we call them the widowmaker)  Anyway a friend of mine uses the Buddy Heater.  It seems to work good and does not fume like the Mr Heaters will.  You can also connect it to a propane tank if you don't want to use the 1lb disposable tanks.  He likes it but I don't have the money to get one so I will still use the Mr Heater.  

polaristriple650

« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2003, 06:12 PM »
wsb_bwhntr
i have a black cat and in the coldest part of deer season and never got cold and i have a nunting shack the size of a four man portable so im thinking id go with the black cat

fishfinder1

« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2003, 03:40 AM »
I have a Buddy heater High end is 9000 BTU. It doesn't get hot on back side so you can put it close to the wall without burning the canvas. I use it in my Frabill Cub and it heats it just fine. Usually keep it on medium setting once the chill is out of shanty. It also has low oxygen sensor built in. They are kinda expensive at 98.00. But worth it to stay on the ice longer.

3RivAnglr

« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2003, 05:40 AM »
  Tried my Coleman BlackCat out last nite on Weilhelm.Didn't work well at all I'll be taking it back to D i c k s sports on Mon . I have a FishTrap and untill I fired up the lantern it really strugled to give me mcuh heat. I don't know if its maybe a bad 1 or what. Only a small part of the cerramic looked like it was lit.   Jim C.

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2003, 05:05 AM »
get a mr. heater buddy, you wont be sorry

Offline rabcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2003, 05:46 PM »
I have a Clam Pro & a Mr. Heater it is all  I need run it on low 1 Lb. tank will last about 1.5 days. Been fishing this week & it has been cold & windy, high temp. of 5 F. And just bought a 11 gal. tank & hose from Cabela's. It sould last couple of week!! Very Pleased. Rick :)

iceman670

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2003, 07:27 PM »
I was at WAL-MART last week,{chicago area} and just by dumb luck found a BUDDY HEATER COPYCAT for 50 bucks.
I have the orig. and now have the copycat {DYNAGLOW}
work the same and has same setting  {HI-LOW}
low O2 shut off.
REG 94 BUCKS WAS ON SALE FOR 50 bucks.
Hope you can still find them.

RonP

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2003, 02:36 PM »
I have a Blackcat with the electronic ignition and it works great (fires up everytime and REALLY gets the shanty toasty).  Only suggestion:    I wish there was a heat adjustment knob.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2003, 04:55 PM »
I just came back from Amherst, New Hampshire at the Walmart supercenter. I bought the buddy heater knock off the Dyna_Glo Tag a long portable heater.It heats up to 8000 btu's has the low oxygen shut off and shuts off if tipped over and safe for indoor use. They had it on clearence for 30.00 , thats a great deal. I was using a colman dual mantle fuel lantern to heat my shanty but when it got down to 0 degrees it wasn't doing the job so I bought this. I heard alot of good on this unit on here and NEsportsman.They are selling out fast, I called them and had them hold one for me. They only have one left.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2003, 02:31 PM »
Tried out the new Dyna-Go heater today it was around 32 degrees in central Ma. where I was fishing and I had my heater on low for a few minutes and it got too hot in my shanty, so I had to shut it off for a while it was about 70 degrees in there. I can't wait until it gets really cold to see what this thing will do. I am very impressed with it so far.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.