The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: wood stove in shack  (Read 4464 times)

Offline JohnPorter

• Team IceShanty Regular
wood stove in shack
« on: Mar 04, 2006, 10:42 AM »
Just picked up a woodstove a kid made at the local high school in welding class. Anyone else use a woodstove? Hopefully this won't be to much for my 4x6 smelt shack. Guess tonight will be the true test.
MY COMPETITION STANDS NO CHANCE !!!!!!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: wood stove in shack
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2006, 11:40 AM »
Just picked up a woodstove a kid made at the local high school in welding class. Anyone else use a woodstove? Hopefully this won't be to much for my 4x6 smelt shack. Guess tonight will be the true test.

i have used them in the past and fiddlehead gave me a nice little woodstove i plan on putting in the crappieshack. cheap dry heat and incineratoer all in one.  :D

Offline JohnPorter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2006, 11:59 AM »
thats what I was thinking

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2006, 12:06 PM »
lots of scrapwood at my disposal and the stove rich gave me weighs no more than thirty lbs.  gonna put it  in the off season. hope no one steals it  :(

Offline JohnPorter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2006, 12:20 PM »
yes scrap wood isnt a problem here especially since I live right next to paper company land..LOL

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine member since 2003
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2006, 05:27 PM »
I used a home made wood stove for years. Just went to a K1 heater, this season and love it. no mess. burns evenly. No going from 110 to -10 when it burns too hot or goes out. and no lugging tons of wood out to the shack and having it take up 1/2 the space.

that being said... I sure do miss the smell of a good fire on a cold day on the ice...

good luck and enjoy it!!
Scott Wright

Offline tougeslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2006, 05:31 PM »
Wood stoves are nice and warm, heat you right out in the middle of a mid winter night while smelting wont get cold hands and feet thats the good thing.   :D
Let the dog run or the reels run?  Winters toughest dilemma!

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2006, 07:16 PM »
nothing like the smell of woodsmoke.....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline phisherdude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Maine
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2006, 10:30 PM »
I just put a woodstove in my 6x8 this season and I must say it's the bomb.  I used to run the mister heater buddy but it would go out constantly and didn't heat things that well.  To save space what I did is picked up an old water tank at the dump cut out a good sized door, welded on hinges, legs and put on a 4" connector for stovepipe.  I have it set up vertical to it only takes up a little more than 2 feet in the corner of the shack.  There's nothing better than coming in after checking traps in sub-zero temps and kicking back by a nice toasty fire. The absolut best part about having a stove though is throwing a hotdog on a stick, coating it with some beer and cooking to a golden crisp.....mmmmmmm beerdogs in the shanty.

Offline silverbullet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2006, 03:00 AM »
The only complaint I have about a wood stove is the heat regulation.  There were times this winter where I was shedding layers like a mad man.  Also suffered a little smoke inhalation until we were able to get the chimney squared away. :-[

Offline lake-rapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2006, 03:01 AM »
I have to say, I wasn't much for a woodstove, was going to go with propane, but I was talked into a woodstove by a freind. I bought one on Ebay. It's called a WOODSMAN..It took a while to ship from Canada, but it is awesome. You can cook on it, but I find myself down to a t-shirt too often.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2006, 05:49 AM »
I thought about the woodstove  but held off didnt want my grandkid to get too close to it this year next year Im planning on one sorta like this  but make a basket and burn wood pellets in it
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2006, 05:11 PM »
This is my first year with a wood stove and this is how I made out.
Good points
   1. Windows do now steam up like they do when you use propane.
   2. I can cook on it.
   3. Helped hold my shack down. Weighs about 60 lbs. with fire brick.
   4. Gives you something to do while waiting for flags.
   5. Good hot heat you can regulate with drafts.
   6. Used dead dry maple and ash found in area.

Bad points
   1. Cost about $100.00 to build. Made out of 1/8 plate steel, 3/16 angle iron and 11 fire brick.
   2. Hauling in firewood if not out in the wilds of Maine. Summer people don't like it when you cut down their Japanese Maples.
   3. Could forget the damper open and burn down the shack, or something could fall on it and catch on fire.
   4. Heat the shack just right and you fall asleep missing that one flag you had that day.
   5. Burn your finger trying to open the door to put more wood in.
Steve

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2006, 05:20 PM »
GREAT POST STEVE...MY CAMeRAS BUSTED OR ID POST SOME PICS OF MINE BUT ITS JUST A LIL OLD POTBELLY WEIGHS ABOUT 30 -40 LBS. oops just looked up ,sorry for caps, lol got some plans already for the offseason. as much as i thought i thought of everything when building the crappie shack theres alway room for improvement.

Offline JohnPorter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2006, 07:03 PM »
well set it up Saturday and used it that evening--phew, did it ever work.

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2006, 09:33 PM »
I thought about the woodstove  but held off didnt want my grandkid to get too close to it this year next year Im planning on one (Image removed from quote.) sorta like this  but make a basket and burn wood pellets in it

ok really like your stove idea was wondering if you could give me some details, when you burn wood in it you have it sit on the chair like shown? or how far off the floor of ice shack?  also wondering how far from walls of shack to put stove?  Dont want to get anything too hot and burn the thing down lol.

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2006, 08:09 AM »
Nothing cleans, like a good fire. Kids love fire, and should be taught to respect it. When it gets to hot, open a window. I LOVE wood stoves. I pray they do not regulate this. Warms the heart to see the smoke comming from the chimney.  ;) paul
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2006, 08:31 AM »
One thing I did so that I could put the wood stove close to the wall was to install some metal reflector on the wall. I also put fire brick in the bottom and sides of the stove. No only will this keep the sides and bottom cooler the fire brick store heat. I like my wood stove, but I wonder if i will need it this year. :-\
Steve

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2006, 08:39 AM »

It may look big in the pictures but it's only 12"Hx131/2"Wx16"L.
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.