Author Topic: Creepers  (Read 16283 times)

Offline STRIKEMASTERS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Taking my girls fishin'
Creepers
« on: Mar 11, 2003, 07:31 AM »
After this weekend on Conesus I think a pair of creepers are in order!  Any suggestions on type or brands?  Any one have used ones they want to sell just e-mail me.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
Re: Creepers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2003, 07:43 AM »
Find an EMS or other sporting good store that sells Yaktrax.  I just got a pair this year and they are the best!  You dont even know you have them on and you dont slip at all.  $20 a pr.  They are (so they say) designed around the ones that the Everest Sherpas make and use?  No more walking around on spikes, talk about sore feet and legs!!!!

Check them out at  www.yaktrax.com

Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2003, 07:46 AM »
After using 4 or 5 different kinds over the years, I have decided that I prefer Corkers (Korkers?). They have replaceable golf type spikes and will dig through a hard ice. Also, if there is snow on top of the ice, they don't clog up like others that I've used. They are comfortable to walk or stand in. I got mine @ Dick's Sporting Goods 6- 10 years ago.
Pete Lewis

Offline STRIKEMASTERS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2003, 07:52 AM »
Every one is out of them now.  I guess I should have got them when I saw them last month.  Didn't want to spend the $ seeing that I just bought the shanty, auger, and other gear to get started in this great sport.  Oh well she will get over it!

Fargin_Icehole

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2003, 08:22 AM »
getting warm put on golf spikes and buy the creepers next year

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2003, 08:25 AM »
Now that I think about it, you may be able to find a pair of golf rubbers. They used to sell them and they went over a normal pair of shoes but had spikes in the bottom. If they don't sell them, let's make some up. They sound like they'd work great.
Pete Lewis

Offline jack

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2003, 08:26 AM »
hey strikemaster,
you could try corkers.  they might work.  like for salmon fishing.
cut felt maybe ???

jack

Offline STRIKEMASTERS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2003, 08:29 AM »
eyedoktr

I'll have to call some of my suppliers in China and see if they can make or get them for us!  Good Idea!

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2003, 09:18 AM »
I use Korkers. They're kind of expensive but they wear like iron. I've had mine for 15+ years and they're still going strong. Plus you can use them on slippery trout streams as well.  

Offline STRIKEMASTERS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2003, 09:26 AM »
Checked them out! Thanks for the link.  My big feet probibly wont fit in those though.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2003, 10:31 AM »
Very flexable even in the frigged cold.  They get big :o

Offline rex

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish till you drop
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2003, 01:01 PM »
i agree, i have the korkers also, cant wear them out or beat them. they are on the expensive side, but the are great, i use mine for ice, and streams. never go ice fishing without bringing them in my sled

Offline STRIKEMASTERS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2003, 01:15 PM »
I've tried Wally world, Dicks, and Galyans and they are out.  Anyone know who has any inexpensive ones still in stock to get me thru the next couple weekends?

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2003, 01:53 PM »
  Korkers are what I have , had them for about twenty years.

you'll never need another pair.
  Good Luck
   Shark :'(
How's the ice

rgfixit

« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2003, 03:08 PM »
If your Ice boots are dedicated to only Ice fishing, You might want to consider studding the soles with 1/2" x #8 hex head sheet metal screws...I've had Korkers and Creepers  and gave them up for this method. They're cheap, very effective, always there and you walk naturally..The guys My partner fishes with on Champlain use them on their Micky's.

RGFIXIT

kpage

« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2003, 03:41 PM »
just adding to rgfixit's post...you can also go to a motorcycle shop that sells dirt bikes and get ice screws  (they screw them into knobbies to race on ice) for your boots...alot sharper than regular hex screws but the same

Offline STRIKEMASTERS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2003, 03:42 PM »
Great cheap idea!  Need new hunting boots so I think that is the cheap and easy way out!  Good call!

Offline Retired ECO

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2003, 03:52 PM »
The hex sheet metal screws and dirt bike screws is all that I have used the last 30 years. Took a pair of deep lug snowmobile boots with felt liners and they are my ice fishing boots, work great and are a cheap way of going. Leaves more green for jigs, ice augers etc.!!!!!    Retired ECO

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2003, 05:38 PM »
i use korkerz and will never go back to anything else.

of the other kinds, the chains rust and break, the pressed metal cleats also break and bend.  

also, korkerz are great for wading.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 11, 2003, 05:48 PM »
So with these screws, why do they need to be hexhead? Do you run them in from above or what? A little more explanation for us uneddykated types thanks.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2003, 02:22 AM »
Yes Tony B I have a pair of artic spurs and they are a big improvement over the old style creeper!  But still if you are running tipups or walking way out (Oneida or Cayuga with no motorized help) the comfort level is still very low.  I have done the hex screw thing and agree on the snow also when the temp is very cold and you are drilling your holes the slush freezes the screws in when you kick it out of the way.  The solution is to clean the bottom of your boots after you set every tip up.  Korkers are great but a little costly.  I must say again my Yaktrax are a whole new generation of antiskid protection that outshines all others.
Dogfish

rgfixit

« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2003, 02:43 AM »
Tony's right about those conditions. There's no perfect answer I guess. Maybe Crampons! On average though, I find them very comfortable, easy on my old knees and CHEAP!

Mr. S,
The screws are applied from the bottom so you're walking on the head of the screw. We use Hex head because when they're formed they have an indented head with a nice ridge around the rim of the head that provides the traction.
RGFIXIT

Offline STRIKEMASTERS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 12, 2003, 03:08 AM »
Easy to do!  I used some sheet metal screws and my cordless drill to do it last night and it took all of 5 min to do both boots.  I tried it on my old sorels but the sole was to thinso I got a surprise when Itried them on!  We will give it a try on Sodus Saturday!  Thanks guys!  

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2003, 03:26 AM »
strikemasters, yeah, you definitely need a thick sole if you use screws. Another suggestion. Get some ShoeGoo (I think that's what it's called) and coat the screw with it before screwing it in. It will help keep the screw in place and also seal out any water.
Pete Lewis

Offline STRIKEMASTERS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 12, 2003, 03:29 AM »
Very good point!  They might leak now.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 12, 2003, 04:48 AM »
Good point Tony.  The Yaktrax spring const.  Is SS coils and "should not" become flatened by weight say under 1000 lbs.  That is if they used a quality material? ???  This is my first year with them and have worn them alot with no visable probs with them.  Give them another year or two.....who knows?  I do always have my artic sp's in my sled for back up. ;D Dogfish

qflies

« Reply #26 on: Mar 12, 2003, 08:04 AM »
I use korkers and pull on style over front of your boot these ones i slip alot ,korkers are the way to go . :o :o :o
i have a extra set they yust need laces!!!!!!!!!!! :'( :'( :-*

Offline STRIKEMASTERS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 12, 2003, 08:07 AM »
Qflies do you want to sell?  We are going to Sodus Saturday if you are interested?  By the sounds of it a few people from this site will be there also.

Mike

Bill_O

« Reply #28 on: Mar 12, 2003, 08:17 AM »
Take 3/8" sheet metel screws and srew them into the heels of your boots. Works fine for me. Bye.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #29 on: Mar 12, 2003, 08:45 AM »
Just got back from Dicks in Hamburg, where they sell the waders they have 2 diffrent kinds of ice creepers forgot the names (must be old age again) . But one pair sold for 25.00 and the other was 40.00 wow. guess I am old. anyways they both looked like they would work fine with out slipping off your boots. Or you can do like I do let my son pull the sled and I ride on it. Let the kid do all the work after all I got to feed him!

cold feet

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.