Author Topic: Base layers  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Base layers
« on: Sep 19, 2017, 09:17 PM »
Im sure ill get as many opinions as there are options, but whats the best base layer out there for the serious ice fisherman? There are a ton of options out there, looking to get something nice for some comfortable hole hopping this season.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Base layers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2017, 09:45 PM »
I used Under Armour cold gear. I'm sure there is better, but this works for me with a wool shirt. wind proof jacket and i'm good to go

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2017, 09:53 PM »
I like a thin wool base layer next to skin, then fleece over that usually.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2017, 11:25 PM »
x2 on the Under Armor Cold Gear. I picked up a top and bottom from Glen's Army/Navy at 1/2 off around the end of last ice season and they are waaaaay better than my cheapo thermals I used to wear.

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2017, 05:03 AM »
I have under armor base 2.0 and 3.0.  it better be really cold if you put on the 3.0 or you will be to hot.  Look on under armor website black friday I got them 1/2 off and free shipping last year

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2017, 05:24 AM »
as a base layer, under armor or silk. Then MERINO WOOL. If you have a good ice suit or cold weather hunting suit you won't need too much wool. I have a light merino wool shirt for under my hunting jacket when it's cold and a very nice merino wool sweater for when it's not too cold with little wind but I pack the jacket just in case the weather turns. For my feet, I use poly pro sock liners, merino wool socks and a pair of Gore-Tex cold weather boots.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2017, 07:59 AM »
Another vote for the underarmor. I use the 2.0 and only wear the pants when it is below zero or I get too hot. I have insulated pants and frabill I3 bibs which is plenty for the lower half without a base layer.
Da Pack!

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2017, 09:18 AM »
Yah, another vote for the Under Armor Cold Gear. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2017, 09:30 AM »
I use (heat last) from Cabela's , comes in a 3 pack,tops and bottoms ,  silk weight , med and heavy ,

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2017, 09:58 AM »
cabelas ecwcs heavy/polar weight with the Polartec power dry material - best baselayer I've ever had. They have some merino wool versions too. I wear that with a normal t or long t shirt and a sherpa lined hoodie...no bulky coat or suit

Catchin' Fish

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2017, 10:44 AM »
I absolutely love my Cabela's ecwcs too and am getting more....

Offline English

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2017, 01:37 PM »
Do either come in big man sizes? I see a lot of brands up to 3X but I need a 4X shirt and 3X bottom. Very frustrating trying to find some items. I know, I know I could go on a diet but I don't want to!

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2017, 02:14 PM »
I use Cabelas Polar Weight MTP tops and bottoms.  If you keep an eye out they have them on sale sometimes.  Normally around $60 and ive gotten them for as low as $15 before.  Very comfy and warm.  Would like them more if I didn't keep getting fatter and having to buy more but I don't think ill blame the clothing for that  ;D

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #14 on: Sep 21, 2017, 10:39 AM »
Been running UA Base 4.0 for 2 seasons now. It's all I wear under my Striker HW bibs and Climate parka.

Offline Ice-Bing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Sep 21, 2017, 03:36 PM »
Underarmour cold gear, maybe a pair of long johns as well if it's real cold and fleece over those.

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 21, 2017, 04:45 PM »
I really like the ECWCS polar weight baselayer from Cabelas. I have the older version and I just picked up the newer style on sale yesterday. They are supposedly lighter and warmer than the previous version.

I usually where them under jeans and  fleece/hoodie with the older frabill ice suit unlined bibs.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 21, 2017, 05:06 PM »
icebreaker is the best there is in my opinion.  260 weight keeps me warm even up here!

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 01, 2017, 07:58 AM »
I feel kind of bad here. My base layer is plain old sweat pants. Never had anything else. Sweat shirt on top.  When below zero or hole hopping I wear my carhart bibs and coat. Same clothes I work outside in.  Steve

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 02, 2017, 09:49 AM »
I feel kind of bad here. My base layer is plain old sweat pants. Never had anything else. Sweat shirt on top.  When below zero or hole hopping I wear my carhart bibs and coat. Same clothes I work outside in.  Steve

There's nothing wrong with that! My carhardt bibs are just as warm as my frabill bibs, only reason I don't wear them anymore is because they aren't water proof. Carhardt bibs with a sweatshirt and carhardt vest used to be my go-to and I had no complaints! Maybe a flannel over the top if it was really cold.
Da Pack!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Oct 02, 2017, 12:04 PM »
I use UA also. Super light and warm. I move around a lot.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 03, 2017, 08:07 AM »
My go to is merino wool, especially when active.  I got my last two shirts from Amazon, a brand called Minus33.  About the same price as UA, maybe cheaper.  They make multiple weights in shirts and long underwear and Tall sizes.   

Plus my girlfriends are all pretty smart and they all wear wool coats, baaaaa!
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 03, 2017, 05:14 PM »
My go to is merino wool, especially when active.  I got my last two shirts from Amazon, a brand called Minus33.  About the same price as UA, maybe cheaper.  They make multiple weights in shirts and long underwear and Tall sizes.   

Plus my girlfriends are all pretty smart and they all wear wool coats, baaaaa!
Where did you get the Velcro mittens??  ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.