Author Topic: Jig Wrap  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jig Wrap
« on: Sep 19, 2017, 04:57 PM »
Anyone have a nice homemade jig wrap or inexpensive purchased system, used to wrap a jig to keep it from getting hooked on everything when not fishing?

Just bought a Striker Transporter bag and heard sometimes they catch the hooks.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Jig Wrap
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2017, 05:00 PM »
Just go to a craft store and get a wide strip of Velcro.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2017, 06:06 PM »
i push the hook into the butt of the cork or rubber ends of the rod handles. then i use a sheath (rod slicks) over the rod and line and use the bungee on the end of the sheath to hold the reel handle in place and i place the handle so the line and handle face up to the tip of the rod.
this keep snags and any other problems away. i keep 6 rods like this in a bucket and no problems with it this way.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2017, 07:25 PM »
3300, what kind of sheeths do you use?  Id like to see that set up.  I usually just clip the jig off and retie....I make my own rods, and usually put hook keepers on them, but seems like something always shakes them a bit loose.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2017, 07:55 PM »
i use 13 fishing wicked rods only. i don't use hook keepers because they don't work for me.
here's the rod slicks i use. you can buy them almost every where.

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/accessories/rod-slick/ice-rod-slick-2-pack-black-pink-blue.html

www.cabelas.com/product/CLAM-ICE-ROD-SLICK/2368059.uts

just push the hook into the end of the rod. i use spinning reels, so i grab the bail and spool and line it up so there is light pressure on the line and the bail stop lines up the line so it faces up the rod and so does the handle. then i use the bungee cord over the handle to hold it straight up the rod.
it works nice.

10$ is average cost for 2 of them. comes in a few colors too.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2017, 06:04 AM »
They make lure wraps or you can go to the craft store and make some , far as rod slicks my better have made me some for my ice rods and soft water rods

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2017, 06:25 AM »

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2017, 08:03 AM »
I used to use tinfoil, it's not perfect but it is definitely cheap. Heavy duty stuff worked better than the thin stuff.
Da Pack!

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2017, 08:19 AM »
I was thinking about this topic the other day driving home from a weekend of camping. I plan to try foam insulation rope, thin enough to fit in a Plano stowaway box.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2017, 09:17 AM »
I use the Clam Rod sheaths.  Same ones that 3300 uses - these keep the jig and line in place.  I used to use the jig wraps, but they kept sliding off the jig, then snagged everywhere.  The sheaths come in different colors so I use this to keep track of my line weight on each rod.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2017, 10:05 AM »
i have a giant roll of expandable sleeving and make my own "rod slicks"

Catchin' Fish

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2017, 11:19 AM »
I bought my wife a sewing machine for xmas last year, i know, such a romantic, and so Im going to go look for some clothe....Is there any special kind of cloth one should use for this?  Matzilla, is 'expandable sleeving' a real thing one can buy?? 

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2017, 12:12 PM »

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2017, 12:55 PM »
probably inch and half if buying bulk/spools?

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2017, 03:17 PM »

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2017, 03:35 PM »
Awesome find... I'm in! What size do I need... 1/4",,, 1/2",,, ?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 20, 2017, 04:56 PM »
I'll check the diameter of the stuff I have and report back

Catchin' Fish

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Sep 20, 2017, 05:29 PM »
Anyone have a nice homemade jig wrap or inexpensive purchased system, used to wrap a jig to keep it from getting hooked on everything when not fishing?

Just bought a Striker Transporter bag and heard sometimes they catch the hooks.

I have the Transporter Bag ...and they do snag...the tubes pull out so that's helpful ...I use Clam tackle pouches

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/search/SearchDisplay?categoryId=&storeId=15108&catalogId=12301&langId=-1&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&fromPage=Search&searchSource=Q&pageView=&beginIndex=0&DSGsearchType=Keyword&pageSize=48&searchTerm=clam+tackle+pouch#bazaarRating:&facet:&productBeginIndex:0&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&facetCategoryId:&fPrevCatId:&

I also use HT rod tubes in my center bag are of the SI Transporter..and in my other bags ...also use golf bag tubes

http://www.cabelas.com/product/HT-ENTERPRISES-POLAR-ROD-GUARD/2338803.uts?productVariantId=4803124&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=BingPLA&WT.z_mc_id1=04564018&rid=20&gclid=CLmJsYXmtNYCFYiyswodYMsNTA&gclsrc=ds
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Catchin' Fish

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 20, 2017, 08:24 PM »
I use a butane or propane torch to melt the ends, just like melting the ends of a nylon rope, then shrink wrap the top

Catchin' Fish

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Sep 21, 2017, 08:04 AM »
so you don't fold them to make a hem and put any thing on them to hold them on?

found some you tubes on them

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 21, 2017, 08:23 AM »
I've never had an issue with them coming off

Catchin' Fish

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Sep 21, 2017, 08:49 AM »
okay thanks!

i will need to figure out how they add bungee to the rod slicks version so it holds the reel handle in place. this helps from the reel spinning in the bucket or from pulling others out of it. if the reel spins it will pull the rod tip down. maybe changing the drag would stop that, but i'd rather not have to.

update:
i measured my rod slicks and they are 1 inch wide. they did sew a rolled hem and made 4 stitch points. two hold the bungee and hem and two hold the hem only on opposite sides or every 90 degrees. the roll in the 1/2 width hem is rolled maybe 3 times at most. this holds the bottom open. i think the 1 inch wide material could be smaller for sure. they also sewn the top closed by laying a piece of nylon cordura wrapped it over both sides and then stitched it on and they added a hang strap using the same nylon and stitches. the bungee is one piece with a bungee lock added before sewing it on.
they measure 21 inch finished product. the bungee cord is 1/8 inch wide and 15 inch long. these fit perfectly on my 19 inch 13 fishing wicked rods.
after watching some you tubes on making them, some say it's better to use smaller diameter so they fit tighter and this uses less space in the storage space.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Sep 22, 2017, 08:24 AM »
Wow, lots of these to try and experiment with. 

Last year i made some sheaths out of 1 inch cpvc piping.  I put an end cap on it and notched the open end so the reel base would go up inside it.  That way the rod was completely recessed inside the pipe with just the reel sticking out.  But when I shoved the reel in it pulled on the line and the pipe was big enough to allow the rod tip to bend back completely...cracked the tips of two noodle rods. 

I tried that because I had a hard case from MTM and another from somewhere else.   I didn't notice a rod tip sticking out and snapped the tip off two rods on different occasions when i shut the cover to lock it.  Last year was very hard on rods!   Plus loosening the handles on reels to fit them in the case is a PITA.

Thus now the transporter bag.   

Thanks folks
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Sep 22, 2017, 10:35 AM »
Wow, lots of these to try and experiment with. 

Last year i made some sheaths out of 1 inch cpvc piping.  I put an end cap on it and notched the open end so the reel base would go up inside it.  That way the rod was completely recessed inside the pipe with just the reel sticking out.  But when I shoved the reel in it pulled on the line and the pipe was big enough to allow the rod tip to bend back completely...cracked the tips of two noodle rods. 

I tried that because I had a hard case from MTM and another from somewhere else.   I didn't notice a rod tip sticking out and snapped the tip off two rods on different occasions when i shut the cover to lock it.  Last year was very hard on rods!   Plus loosening the handles on reels to fit them in the case is a PITA.

Thus now the transporter bag.   

Thanks folks

I made a similar tube case for a 50" rod that's too long for my Otter case.  Works fine so far.  I just press the release on the in-line reel when putting the rod in it to keep the exposed line from creating tension and bending the tip (I engage the reel again after the rod is in the case.)  I also use a soft reel case that goes over the reel and tube to hold it all together.

With any rod that has a lure small enough to fit through the guides I slip the lure down a couple of guides before transporting or casing the rod to keep the reel from accidently pulling the tips down if it turns - especially on noodle rods...

Dan

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Sep 22, 2017, 11:01 AM »
Do you guys not have issues with treble hooks from spoons and jigging raps getting caught in the expandable sleeves? I used to use them but got sick of trying to compress the sleeves to make the holes big enough for the barb to fit through when my fingers were numb in the cold...It'd be nice if the sleeves had a solid coating on the inside or something or am I the only one with this issue?
Da Pack!

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Sep 22, 2017, 07:02 PM »
Do you guys not have issues with treble hooks from spoons and jigging raps getting caught in the expandable sleeves? I used to use them but got sick of trying to compress the sleeves to make the holes big enough for the barb to fit through when my fingers were numb in the cold...It'd be nice if the sleeves had a solid coating on the inside or something or am I the only one with this issue?

Try liquid plummers tape, I expand the end by the reel so it fits over the rod handle up to the reel freely and then coat the expanded part with LPT.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.