Author Topic: Humminbird ice helix 7  (Read 19156 times)

Offline Zimmerman

• IceShanty Rookie
Humminbird ice helix 7
« on: Sep 19, 2017, 03:30 PM »
What does everyone think about this new unit. Thinking of picking one up when they come out.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Humminbird ice helix 7
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2017, 05:55 PM »
It was out last year and was so well liked due to the larger screen they dropped the ice helix 5 for this year.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2017, 10:54 AM »

Catchin' Fish

Offline Zimmerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2017, 03:05 PM »
Yeah that's the one I was talking about.

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2017, 06:19 PM »
That looks nice.  Wonder how it compares to the Marcum LX7/6 and if target separation is closer now?

The new CHIRP version is even better
https://www.humminbird.com/Products/ICE-HELIX-7-CHIRP-GPS-G2/

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2017, 06:47 PM »
Target separation is 1.5".

Offline Zimmerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2017, 04:53 PM »
How big of deal is that

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2017, 06:50 PM »
Huge if you're fishing for Guppies in 60 FOW. No big deal for me.  ;)

Offline Zimmerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2017, 06:55 PM »
Mostly perch and walleyes in under 20ft

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2017, 07:02 PM »
Perch, Walleye, Crappie and Gills for me usually in less than 30'. I get along fine with an FL18 and an LX5 since both my Helix 9 Chirp and Helix 7 Chirp are down imaging units.

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2017, 06:31 AM »
Thanks, so Marcum LX7/6 still have better target separation.  Not sure it is a huge deal, but I mostly ice fish for Perch and some bluegill.

Target separation is 1.5".

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2017, 08:54 AM »
its a complete non issue...I would use those down image Helix on the ice in a heartbeat. Mine works great ice fishing. That target separation is a best case on both devices using the narrowest cone angle. If you compare the 20 degree to the 20 degree on either the separation would be nearly identical

The new Helix Ice Chirp is much different than a Marcum - Helix has chirp, much better screen (brighter, higher quality), more resolution, GPS, LakeMaster/ChartSelect maps, Navionics maps, etc.

Catchin' Fish

Offline Herms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2017, 12:20 PM »
I just picked one up from Cabelas.  It showed up Friday and I got it put together and running.  Im really excited to put it to use the GPS looks like a great feature along with the base map package. 

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2017, 03:30 PM »
Anyone have experience with interference rejection on these units?  My hesitation in using an LCD as a flasher is they don't always have the best interference rejection when used close together with other units but my only point of reference is an older Lowrance Elite unit. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2017, 03:33 PM »
The non chirp versions have off, low, med and high IR settings...you can clean things up quite a bit by manually setting depth, adjusting switchfire from max mode to clear, adjusting surface clutter, etc. I rarely use the IR settings

If you have a DI Helix you never need to worry about IR - if you get interference on 200khz just shut it off and use 455 narrow beam. Even with the 200khz on, I can usually fish right next to my buddies and their noisey vexilars and marcums

The new chirp models should have very little interference within 200khz since it is sweeping from 130 to 250khz

Catchin' Fish

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #15 on: Oct 30, 2017, 03:37 PM »
Sorry for a dumb follow up question...do they make an ice pack/portable pack for the Helix?  Does it have a flasher mode in addition to the graph?  Thanks!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #16 on: Oct 30, 2017, 04:02 PM »
Sorry for a dumb follow up question...do they make an ice pack/portable pack for the Helix?  Does it have a flasher mode in addition to the graph?  Thanks!

Yes, Humminbird makes an ice unit. It does have a flasher mode, same as the stand alone 7.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #17 on: Oct 30, 2017, 04:11 PM »
Thanks 52.  Looks like a great set up.  I fish with a Vex 28 right now.  One of the things I like is I can turn it on and fish.  Are there a lot of "settings" that you need to mess with on the Helix to get it dialed in or is it pretty much turn it on and fish once you've got it set for winter?  Thanks!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #18 on: Oct 30, 2017, 04:16 PM »
Thanks 52.  Looks like a great set up.  I fish with a Vex 28 right now.  One of the things I like is I can turn it on and fish.  Are there a lot of "settings" that you need to mess with on the Helix to get it dialed in or is it pretty much turn it on and fish once you've got it set for winter?  Thanks!

To be honest, I haven't played with the flasher in anything other than open water on the unit I have on my boat and it worked perfect as soon as I selected the flasher screen.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2017, 04:29 PM »
I mess with mine a bit the first time out each season to dial it in pretty decent - after that i only adjust as needed for IR or very deep or very shallow. I never use the circular flasher view, however.

Catchin' Fish

luv2fish2

« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2017, 05:19 AM »
i've been looking at the helix so i can use it in summer i've got a couple questions , they say it is not real time the graph mode ls slighty behind . is the flasher response in actual time or is it also behind also , also what is difference between di and regular ? also if i use the gps if this mounted on a sled or atv ( plugged into accessories outlet ) when unplug it will i lose the route if its powered down to put back in ice pack thanks again

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2017, 08:49 AM »
There is a verticle graph on the right side of the screen that shows what is happening in real time before it moves onto the screen as history. The flasher response should be real time. DI shows what is on the screen as what it actually is. A tree lying on the bottom looks like a tree lying on the bottom. A sunken boat looks like a boat. You can have down imaging on one side of the screen and normal sonar on the other if you choose. When you power it down it saves the trail that is on the screen. You have to remove the trail manually to get rid of it. I would purchase the Helix 7 Chirp ice unit if I were buying it. Hope I helped a bit. I have a Helix 9 Chirp Di Gps G2 on one boat and a Helix 7 Chirp DI GPS G2 on the other. Great units for me.

luv2fish2

« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2017, 12:59 PM »
thanks so much that cleared it up you rock "ice dawg"   , so wouldn't the down image unit show greater detail ,I'll be using this on my boat in soft water i don't see a helix 7 di in an ice unit even though i don't need it on ice it would be nice summer time i guess if i so desire i'd buy that and convert it to ice correct ? i don't mind spending a little extra if i can double duty with it  ;)

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2017, 01:53 PM »
I have the Helix 7 g2 si. Just ordered the portable kit with iceducer from 307.  There is a big update available for the original helix g2 that will update the unit plus improve base maps. The original maps where almost useless. Went to Cabelas to check out the new ice unit, but it was not on display yet. What little is on youtube looks really good.
Ice Dawg was spot on with his decription. I run Navionics and can walk right to my spots and be right on target. No wasting time trying to figure out if I'm there or not.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2017, 02:28 PM »
thanks so much that cleared it up you rock "ice dawg"   , so wouldn't the down image unit show greater detail ,I'll be using this on my boat in soft water i don't see a helix 7 di in an ice unit even though i don't need it on ice it would be nice summer time i guess if i so desire i'd buy that and convert it to ice correct ? i don't mind spending a little extra if i can double duty with it  ;)
I don't believe you can use DI for ice fishing since the ice transducer is a 2d transducer. My Helix units aren't set up for ice fishing, but I may buy the ice ducer and shuttle for tbe Helix 7 Chirp DI. I would call Humminbird customer service and ask about using a DI unit with the ice ducer. I think it has to be set up for 2d which is just a setting.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #25 on: Nov 01, 2017, 02:33 PM »
Sitting here wondering if I'm better off with my Vex 28 and my cell phone with the Navionics map on it or switching to a Helix.  I do probably need a new sonar for my boat so this might be a nice option.  I'm hesitant to give up a dedicated ice tool (Vex) for more of a "hybrid" device (Helix) but maybe I should be more open-minded about it.....

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 01, 2017, 02:50 PM »

there's a catch...humminbird di uses 200khz (28 degree cone) and 455khz (16 degree cone) for 2d sonar. Humminbird doesn't make a 200/455khz ice transducer. You have 3 options to use a di finder on the ice. Use the DI transducer that came with your Helix - it is kinda large but no additional cost. use a 2d 200/455khz skimmer transucer and loop the cord - fairly cheap, works great and gives you both frequencies which is way better than only having one. use a 200khz ice transducer - fairly cheap but doesn't give you the narrow 455khz beam.

I use a helix 5 di/gps on my boat and on the ice. The DI transducer stays on the boat and I have a XNT-9-28-T on the ice with the cord looped. 
https://www.humminbird.com/Products/XNT-9-28-T/

The 455khz 2d sonar is very nice because:
You'll never ever have interference on this frequency
It is a narrow beam which works best in 15'+
You can use switchfire when you have both frequencies
You can dual a 200khz/455khz split screen view which lets you know if fish are moving closer to your bait from the side (your screen displays returns as distance from the transducer, not depth, sometimes when you think fish are rising to your bait they are actually swimming toward your bait laterally)

The DI is nice in the summer time to hunt out brush piles, weed lines, rock piles, etc. and mark for ice fishing

All this being said, I'd rather have the G2 Chirp helix over what I have now lol

The graph and circular flasher displays are true real time on all Humminbird fish finders. All also have an A-scope view option that can be added to the normal graph views. The A-scope shows sonar returns and their strength on a cool little amplitude graph...this is very similar to a Marcum Showdown display but has a history graph right next to it

Catchin' Fish

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #27 on: Nov 01, 2017, 02:57 PM »
Sitting here wondering if I'm better off with my Vex 28 and my cell phone with the Navionics map on it or switching to a Helix.  I do probably need a new sonar for my boat so this might be a nice option.  I'm hesitant to give up a dedicated ice tool (Vex) for more of a "hybrid" device (Helix) but maybe I should be more open-minded about it.....
I use my Humminbird for navigation on tHe ice while using my FL18 and LX5 for jigging. I may have to check into an ice transducer with an extra long cord so I can use my Helix Chirp for fishing out of my side by side. At my age I think both the FL18 and the LX5 may outlive me though. ;)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #28 on: Nov 01, 2017, 03:29 PM »
To use a Helix 7 di unit for ice fishing you will need the xi-9-20 transducer which is an ice ducer (about $70). Set user mode to advanced, set digital depth source to 2d element and turn ice fishing mode on. Just hung up from asking Humminbird Tech Support since I may want to use my Helix 7 di on the ice.

luv2fish2

« Reply #29 on: Nov 01, 2017, 06:04 PM »
wow thats a whole lot info thanks a bunch everyone if i get one for xmas i'll be sure to ask you guys with experience

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.