Author Topic: 42 inch Perch Assualt Rod  (Read 2711 times)

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
42 inch Perch Assualt Rod
« on: Sep 18, 2017, 04:40 PM »
Read about these on internet. Rave reviews all around. Ordered one of the 42 inch for jigging 1/4 oz sonar blade baits. Was surprised at high quality for rather modest cost. Paid 23 for mine. Tested out in my minnow tank with jigging raps and slender spoons even up to some 1/2 ounce lures that I rarely use. Even with the 1/2oz the rod was not overloaded. Yet to try the real small stuff as I have other rods for that. Smallest lure I tried was demons size 4.

I would be hard put to make my own custom rod that satisfies this niche for me. Jumbo perch ,slab crappie ,walleyes 5lb and under think this rod will be perfect. Or as close to perfect as one can get.

Will do follow up once used in actual combat. Have rather high expectations.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 42 inch Perch Assualt Rod
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2017, 09:13 PM »
I bought one last year and it was great for Kokanee, even the little 6" ones were easy to see the bite. I'm going to get the 32" for inside the tent this year. I agree that it is very high quality for the cost.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2017, 10:01 AM »
Who makes these?  Are they made like a custom rod by a builder, or are they manufactured like the St Croix?  Just wondering.  Just did a search on these and not alot of information on them.  Looks like the only way to get is through EBay.  Impressive looking, and the price seems to be pretty good.  Have a Ticklestick to try this year, and this looks like it may be on my radar.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2017, 10:09 AM »
Hey cwavs1982 - talk to Mike Howe aka PERCHASSAULT on this forum,. He will get you lined out with any questions you have about this rod series.
Also check this link... http://perchassault.com/

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2017, 10:12 AM »
Thanks!  Will take a look at the link and see what I can hide under the XMas tree! 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2017, 06:01 PM »
I got the 32" cork handle 2 years ago and I love it! The sensitivity is pretty decent and seeing the bite is very easy. For about 20 bucks shipped you cant go wrong. I fish mine mostly with spoons and 4lb line. I catch a ton of white bass, white perch, crappie, walleye, and yellow perch in the lake I fish and this rod is perfect for them all. Biggest fish I caught so far on it was a 35" northern, that was exciting haha.

I Just really wish they would make the 42" with a cork handle, Ive never been a fan of the foam handles with reel seats :-\
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2017, 10:39 AM »
are these rods light or ultra light action? noodle rods? Butt and tip diameters?

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2017, 07:24 AM »
PerchAsssault - PM'd you for the link on the rods.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2017, 08:13 AM »
I just bought one on eBay.  But maybe he has other ways to sell that don't cost him as much in processing fees.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2017, 12:55 PM »
Could not wait for ice to test this rod. Went over to neighbors pond and fished off his dock. Really wanted to tie into 2-3 lb bass to give rod a test for the reasons I bought it. Unfortunately the bass had other ideas. So decided to test for how sensitive tip and rod are. Rod passed with flying colors. 3-5 inch light biting gills fell victim to the rods sensitivity.

Upon returning home, being an old rod builder, I decided to personalize the rod a little.  Found a royal coachman fly decal and applied it. Always liked that fly and the decal  too

Also going to build another 42 incher using a MHX blank from Mudhole. Gives me something to do whille awaiting the first Alberta Clipper.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2017, 04:24 PM »
I just bought one on eBay.  But maybe he has other ways to sell that don't cost him as much in processing fees.

My "Derch Assault" rod came today.   I am not sure what to think, a part of me thinks the chinaman who built it spelled Perch wrong, part of me thinks Mr Howe made it and the P was really big and the bottom dropped off.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2017, 10:55 AM »
Curious, did you try contacting the seller threw ebay? Besides the misspelled name, what do you think of the quality of the rod? Thanks.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2017, 12:55 PM »
Curious, did you try contacting the seller threw ebay? Besides the misspelled name, what do you think of the quality of the rod? Thanks.

No I didn't try contacting him.  It has a good feel to it and i figured for $23 I would try it this winter.  My other 32" rod is a Beaver Dam glass noodle, that I absolutely love, it cost about $30.  I am not a big spender when it comes to rods. They break easily, thus I bought a Striker Ice transporter last week.

I am sure it will work fine, if it does i will buy more.  If not then oh well.  I have wasted money on more expensive stuff that didn't turn out or I didn't use. 

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2017, 02:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply, so do you know which reel you might pair up with the rod?

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2017, 11:02 AM »
No, but likely a #8 CGI that I bought last year and never got to try.  But I also plan to try and find a 13 Freefall, if I can find a good price for one.  I kick myself for not buying one off Amazon last year for $88.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.