Author Topic: Vexilar FLX 20?  (Read 11942 times)

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Vexilar FLX 20?
« on: Sep 18, 2017, 08:28 AM »
Anybody heard or know anything about these? I used a standard fl 20 perch fishing deep water with a guide last winter and realized my fl8 isn't going to cut it if I want to fish deep water perch. I was looking at an fl18 but a flx 20 might be going on my want list this year!

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Vexilar FLX 20?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2017, 08:43 AM »
If your gonna spend that kind of cash, just go with the flx-28 and be done with it. Best decision i made.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2017, 09:18 AM »
The auto zoom feature on the Fl18 and Fl20 is hands-down the best reason to upgrade from the FL8. I use my AZ pretty much in anything over 10 fow. It's nice being able to get a detailed view of the bottom and the whole fishing column on once screen. I know that the 20 offers two different AZ settings and if you're doing any fishing really deep (50+ feet) for whitefish or lake trout it is nice to have the option for the 12' AZ but other than that I'm not sure what the benefit of the 20 vs 18 is.
That being said, the FL20 was a present from my father a couple years back. If I were purchasing it myself, I'd agree with Dakota. If you're already spending close to $600 you might as well get the best of the best and get the 28...
Da Pack!

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2017, 09:38 AM »
I thought I heard somewhere that they were going brushless on the flx-12 and flx-20, but I cannot find any info to back that up. But anyway, here's a video comparing the different models...

http://www.vexilar.com/pages/product-comparison

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2017, 09:43 AM »
I thought I heard somewhere that they were going brushless on the flx-12 and flx-20, but I cannot find any info to back that up. But anyway, here's a video comparing the different models...

That's what I was curious about. They have a video up on their website with the flx 20 and 12 but it's the standard what's the right one for you. I am leaning heavily towards an 18, does everything I will ever need and is way less change!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2017, 10:20 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/TimMooreOutdoors/videos/1618299161535772/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2017, 11:12 AM »
I agree with getting the flx28.im sure the flx20 is a awesome flasher but id go for the Cadillac flx28 depending on the price difference.ive got a fl18, fl20,fl22hd and flx28 at they  are all great at what they do but the flx28 is so easy to start fishing,just turn on auto mode and start fishing most times.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2017, 07:14 PM »
Guys. The new stuff always seems like it's better. I own an FL18, FL20, FL22HD, and an FLX 28 double vision. I have 4 units so when I take the wheel house fishing everybody can have one to use. Same with fishing poles, lures, and sleeping bags/pillows. We can just hook up and go with everything 4 guys would need, and it stays in the shack so nobody has to worry about not having something.

While each vexilar flasher is a great unit, They all work well and do the things that I found to be expected/nessasary in a good flasher. The bells and whistles of the newer later products are nice, but nothing that I really miss or feel I need when I fish with my FL18. From what I can tell the FLX20 looks to be a hybrid of the FL20 and FL22HD with a brushless FLx28 style face. What I don't understand is why the digital depth isn't in the head unit in the FLX20. The digital depth is in the head/face display on the FLX28. which is nice.

When it comes to needs here is what I found I feel I need for options.
1. Bottom zoom
2. Multiple Transducer beam angles
3. Digital depth
4. multiple interference rejection settings.

First after fishing with bottom zoom and being able to pick tight bottom hugging fish out is a huge deal for me. It has helped me see walleye and jig them up off the bottom that I wouldn't have done without bottom zoom.

Second multiple transducer beams have really help with dialing in the proper window of the water column for fishing. In deep 30ft water I'm able to narrow the beam so My buddies lure isn't showing up on my flasher. When a fish shows up nothing is worse then when you have a buddies lure covering either the fish signal or your lure signal trying to entice a bite. Then being able to widen that beam when you move into 15/10/7/5 foot of water to show a decent amount of the water column while fishing next to your buddy without showing his lure. allows for a bigger picture then if you were on a 9* beam.

Third digital depth. Sure it's a nice option, and doesn't seem like a must. However, after fishing for a few years with one it actually helps like bottom zoom on a flasher. When over a hard rocky bottom, even on zoom it can be hard to tell if a walleye is hugging bottom or if it's just the normal signal return. If your in question simply look at the digital depth and it if it reads a bit less in depth you know there is a tight hugging fish. Fishing Upper Red on a slow bite where a guy really had to work a fish up off the bottom was a nice advantage that allowed me to notice the walleyes on the bottom that I wasn't sure if it was a fish or not. Some took a few min. to get worked up and get a light bite.

Fourth the more interference rejections the better. Once you get 4 vex units going it can be a bit of a trick to get everyone on a different signal that doesn't interfere with the other units, The new units with more rejection setting work really well for this.

Weed mode is nice on the 28 but nothing I can't live without. A lot of the other options like  the night/day setting, multiple zooms, multiple signal colors, different depth displays, and other options are nice. However, I haven't found that I miss them to the point that I would grab one unit over the other. If anything, I found that getting use to a display and getting really good at being able to understand and read it well tends to cause me to have a preference for a unit. Since my first unit was a dual beam FL20 50th anniversary unit I learned to read and understand the display on that unit the best. So, I tend to do most of my fishing with the FL20, and let others use the other units in my wheel house. I do use my FLX28 double vision though when I'm fishing with a buddy out of the flip over so we have a camera if needed. I do have tri beams on all my other units.

I guess to make a short point of a long story, don't beat yourself up they all do a great job if you get the "must have" options on them. So just pick one that fits your budget and go. When it comes to catching fish with them, I found somebody always seems to have that hot hole. The unit they use doesn't tend to have an impact on the guy having that lucky horseshoe up his arse.....I've fished with plenty of guys that had units from FL8 to Marcum LX7/9 and had it plenty of times when the so called lesser units caught more fish. (I still wouldn't give up bottom zoom though) Of course I've sat and fished myself with $1000 plus setup that I stared at for hours only to catch 90% of my fish a bobber and lead head jig 1ft away with a minnow. LOL.....at least The flasher kept me occupied.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2017, 09:34 PM »
Great explanation! I used a fl 20 with a guide in okoboji last winter and had a blast using a flasher with zoom. He took one look at my fl8 and said you are going to want this.... that being said once I figured out how to catch those light biting little perch there I had no problem the next day when all I had was my fl8. But fishing in 40 FOW it is a little more fun with zoom. Because of my geography I will most likely go with the fl 18, it does everything I need it to and the price is right. I plan to give the fl8 to my son, and use it for others when he doesn't want to go, he is 7 so he won't want to go all the time. Plus I kind of like being the guy who has all of the toys and gear.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2017, 06:24 AM »
Saw the new flx line after ICAST was waiting to see the price. After seeing how much they are going for I decided to stick with my FL-18. Not as many bells and whistles but it does everything I need it to. Saving the cash on that purchase will allow me to really upgrade my flip over!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 19, 2017, 08:18 AM »
Great explanation! I used a fl 20 with a guide in okoboji last winter and had a blast using a flasher with zoom. He took one look at my fl8 and said you are going to want this.... that being said once I figured out how to catch those light biting little perch there I had no problem the next day when all I had was my fl8. But fishing in 40 FOW it is a little more fun with zoom. Because of my geography I will most likely go with the fl 18, it does everything I need it to and the price is right. I plan to give the fl8 to my son, and use it for others when he doesn't want to go, he is 7 so he won't want to go all the time. Plus I kind of like being the guy who has all of the toys and gear.

Yeah when those perch stack up off of bottom the zoom really is nice. If you want to save some money vexilar has refurbished units that are like brand new for a very decent cost.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 19, 2017, 08:56 AM »
Dont forget to look for used ones if you're not going for the newest new model i saved 300 bucks buying one that was a year old and works like a charm after my buddy paid the full price tag.....great machine s all of them
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Sep 19, 2017, 09:09 AM »
Love my FL18 ... 2003 model ..gave it an upgrade several seasons ago to an Ultra pack from its original Pro pack...added a Tri Beam transducer a DD 100...a pole holder and a cup holder.

With the New FlX12 and FLX20 being introduced some of the FL12 and FL20 stock may get a reduced in price to move in the new stock so keep an eye peeled.

Vexilars tend to remain pretty price steady..deals are few and far between.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2017, 12:47 PM »
I ended up going a different route and picked up a reconditioned unit directly from Vexilar- Same warranty as new with a fraction of the price. I was going to get a FL18, but for the money I decided to go to the FL22. I have never fished in more than 60' of water and figure that I have my old FL8 if I ever do. Seemed like a no-brainer a month ago... but now I see the FLX units!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2017, 03:51 PM »
I ended up going a different route and picked up a reconditioned unit directly from Vexilar- Same warranty as new with a fraction of the price. I was going to get a FL18, but for the money I decided to go to the FL22. I have never fished in more than 60' of water and figure that I have my old FL8 if I ever do. Seemed like a no-brainer a month ago... but now I see the FLX units!
I'm eager to try my fl22hd out this year too being the deepest ive ever fished in my 30 plus years icefishing was 39ft.but I'm not willing to let my flx28 collect dust,fl18 and 20 might tho.lol

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 19, 2017, 04:16 PM »
I'm eager to try my fl22hd out this year too being the deepest ive ever fished in my 30 plus years icefishing was 39ft.but I'm not willing to let my flx28 collect dust,fl18 and 20 might tho.lol

Yeah I think most guys don't go deeper then 40. My favorite depth is that 15-25 foot.I have fished 70ft on West O. Once you get to that point the perch bladders come right up outta the mouth and make unhooking them a trick. At 70ft I thought they'd explode. lol

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 02, 2017, 11:33 PM »
Sportsman guide has the flx 20 pro pack at $494 for members. Makes it very tempting, an 18 would be plenty for me but I like the flat face and the brushless aspect of the flx20. The noise reduction would be nice, I just don't see the added value of the 28 when the 20 does almost everything and comes with the dd-100 that shows depth anyway. Decisions, decisions. Dual beam transducer would be nice but I can add that later. I wish ice would hurry up and get here though, this is shaping up to be an expensive off season.

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 03, 2017, 01:14 AM »
Something to consider if you think you might want the tri-beam later (personally I prefer these)...a year or two ago when I was shopping for a second Vex, I called them and they were willing to keep the Proview ducer and swap it with the tri-beam at no cost (and that was on a refurb unit). 

Just something to consider if you're thinking you might upgrade later.  Everyone I've heard that bought a refurb unit from Vex got a unit that could easily pass for NIB if they didn't know any better. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 03, 2017, 07:39 PM »
One thing for the OP all the units have an LP mode.....to get the LP mode on an FL8 you need a seperate cord to do so. I've found in shallow conditions the LP mode can help a lot.

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 03, 2017, 10:42 PM »
Sportsman guide has the flx 20 pro pack at $494 for members. Makes it very tempting, an 18 would be plenty for me but I like the flat face and the brushless aspect of the flx20. The noise reduction would be nice, I just don't see the added value of the 28 when the 20 does almost everything and comes with the dd-100 that shows depth anyway. Decisions, decisions. Dual beam transducer would be nice but I can add that later. I wish ice would hurry up and get here though, this is shaping up to be an expensive off season.

I was able to get a 22 HD refurbished from vex for $399.  Would have been nice to be able to beyond the 60' mark, but I've never fished over 60' in my ice fishing career. That being said, I prob would have throw the extra $100 at it

Offline barrelslime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 05, 2017, 03:32 PM »

Nailed it.  FLX20 is all you need.  It does everything the 28 will do. 
Biggest Crappie 17 1/2 "

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 05, 2017, 03:56 PM »
Nailed it.  FLX20 is all you need.  It does everything the 28 will do.

....With the exception of auto-ranging... And the digital depth is displayed via the DD-100, not around the center bezel.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #22 on: Oct 05, 2017, 04:36 PM »
....With the exception of auto-ranging... And the digital depth is displayed via the DD-100, not around the center bezel.
don't forget weed  mode too..i thought the same thing about my vex fl20 can do everything that a flx28 can but was pretty impressed with the flx28 auto range and weed mode.and more levels of ir also.cant go wrong with either model tho.

Chute82

« Reply #23 on: Oct 05, 2017, 05:18 PM »
don't forget weed  mode too..i thought the same thing about my vex fl20 can do everything that a flx28 can but was pretty impressed with the flx28 auto range and weed mode.and more levels of ir also.cant go wrong with either model tho.

Flx-20 now has 20 levels of ir like the 28

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 05, 2017, 05:43 PM »
auto is not all that important to me and the low power combined with the multiple color pallets can help you with weed mode as well. As far as having the digital depth it's not that big of a deal for me, all I care about is seeing fish and having decent target separation.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 05, 2017, 07:28 PM »
auto is not all that important to me and the low power combined with the multiple color pallets can help you with weed mode as well. As far as having the digital depth it's not that big of a deal for me, all I care about is seeing fish and having decent target separation.

What I like about auto mode is you can get a 15ft range break vs being either 10 or 20 ft range. I find myself fishing in a lot of 12-15ft water and it lets a guy use the dial display fully vs having 5-8 ft of dead area on the display when being in the 20ft range.

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 05, 2017, 08:46 PM »
What I like about auto mode is you can get a 15ft range break vs being either 10 or 20 ft range. I find myself fishing in a lot of 12-15ft water and it lets a guy use the dial display fully vs having 5-8 ft of dead area on the display when being in the 20ft range.
I assume you are fishing IGL mostly, I also fish NW Iowa 90% of the time. I really find there is zero reason to ever take a Vexilar out of zoom. Other than the odd crappie suspended near Templar (even that is pretty rare to be above 6'), everything you're going to catch around here is going to be in the 6' zoom window, most of it 3' or less. My main FL-18 that I use most of the time will go all year around and never come out of zoom. Until you get to deeper stuff in SD, Northern MN, etc., you're not going to see fish outside of the zoom window and the range scale isn't relevant. That's one reason that I tell people when they ask to get a FL-18 bare minimum because it will do everything you need to catch as many fish as your ability allows. Anything above that is creature comfort with diminishing returns.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #27 on: Oct 05, 2017, 09:01 PM »
I assume you are fishing IGL mostly, I also fish NW Iowa 90% of the time. I really find there is zero reason to ever take a Vexilar out of zoom. Other than the odd crappie suspended near Templar (even that is pretty rare to be above 6'), everything you're going to catch around here is going to be in the 6' zoom window, most of it 3' or less. My main FL-18 that I use most of the time will go all year around and never come out of zoom. Until you get to deeper stuff in SD, Northern MN, etc., you're not going to see fish outside of the zoom window and the range scale isn't relevant. That's one reason that I tell people when they ask to get a FL-18 bare minimum because it will do everything you need to catch as many fish as your ability allows. Anything above that is creature comfort with diminishing returns.

I fish the IGL maybe once or twice a year. I don't waste my time with those over rated lakes.

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Oct 05, 2017, 09:19 PM »
I fish the IGL maybe once or twice a year. I don't waste my time with those over rated lakes.

I'm with you on the Lakes being overrated, but the point remains if you're fishing anywhere around here. The bottom 6' is all you ever need.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 05, 2017, 10:02 PM »
I'm with you on the Lakes being overrated, but the point remains if you're fishing anywhere around here. The bottom 6' is all you ever need.

I would disagree with that. We have some barrow pits/ponds/gravel pits around and the fish can suspend well off bottom all the way to the top of the ice almost. Depends on the time of season, the O2 content, and water temps.

My buddy and I also fish a lake just across the Minnesota boarder. Our spot is 13ft deep we fish it at night and have really good luck with walleye and every so often a crappie comes through in the top 7ft....guessing the shanty lights bring some food up towards the top and the crappie follow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.