Author Topic: Solo icefishing  (Read 2650 times)

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
Solo icefishing
« on: Sep 15, 2017, 08:28 AM »
When my area is lucky enough to have fishable ice,I'm faced with solo fishing more often than not.Most if not all ice fishermen in this area only hit the ice for stocked trout,ignoring other species of fish,this leaves many days with the lakes void of people, once the stocked trout are caught,the interest level drops to nearly zero.
  For those who live in extended ice seasons,this is apparently not as much of a problem,longer seasons understandably draws a larger audience from retailers to those pursuing a larger variety of species .Everytime I step on the ice I take as many precautions as I can.My equipment load is light,I use a spud,wear cleats,and carry picks, but reality is,with some injuries I've endured,self rescue is getting moe doubtful .
  I'm always looking for ways to improve my safety while on the ice,any suggestions from others who solo fish would be helpful.One thing I'm considering is either tying off to the bank,or perhaps driving an ice anchor and tying off,but I'm not positive that is a reasonable benifit,any thoughts?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Solo icefishing
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2017, 08:39 AM »
not much help but bring standard safety equipment,spud, ice spikes,common sense, maybe a whistle and get a float suit.no ice is safe ever but packing ahead with these items could save your life.i also bring a float cushion with rope in case others go in.and if the ice is so iffy to tie off to the bank then stay the hell off it.lol

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2017, 08:46 AM »
Granted i live in extended ice area but i go early and extremely late at times best for the walleyes. On my ice jacket I had my wife sew on two velcro loops to the outside of my cuffs. Then i took a 6 inch eye bolt (light duty) and ground the ends to a point. I then attached a stout lanyard to the eyes and ran the lanyard threw the coat rack loop by the tag and down my sleeves and then out the sleeves to the velcro straps on the outside of my cuffs to hold the eye bolts. If i ever go threw i just rip off the eye bolts from the velcro and pull myself out. It doesn't add much weight and keeps the ice picks on me at all times and at the ready regardless.  I really hate the ones that ride around your neck, always gets tangled in my pliers and tools i wear, i do wear a fox 40 whistle too (works when it gets filled with water).

Also i have a striker suit that floats.

If its really spooky ice i always go with some one, just not worth it. My rule of thumb is 3 inches if its clear 4 inches cloudy, 5-8 inches snowmobile.

side note: up here trout is considered a trash fish... i dont get it, my wife and kids are tickled pink when i come home with trout.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2017, 08:47 AM »
Definately a float suit would be a good idea. Putiing in an achor and attching a rope not a bad idea either. Maybe an inflatable life vest or one of the ones that goes around the waist. Safety can never be overstressed or have to much of. I fish solo ocasionally but the ice is usually pretty thick. I do have a float jacket and will have the bibs eventaully. I do wear ice picks. I spud my way out when its early ice. Good post Osage i hope lots take a look at it and start preparing
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2017, 08:59 AM »
I'm also a solo ice fisherman. My best defense is a ice suit which is also designed to help you float. Also have a plan in your mind on how to jump into your sled in needed. Float till you get help. I carry 50ft of rope with a small weight on the end for throwing. I never venture out on less than 4in alone and on 4in I don't go far unless others are out. Watch falling through ice videos. As others stated, spud bar your way out.  Watch for cracks, heaves, wet spots. In Michigan and Wisconsin I learned from others to look for thin froze over places others have cut out for spear fishing. Good luck, stay safe.

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2017, 09:24 AM »
  Its traditional in the north to cut and carry a long slim dry spruce pole balanced in one hand when venturing out on sketchy ice. The pole will be automatically dropped in a fall through and land in a position to span the hole where it will be well placed to distribute your weight as you attempt to heave your torso back up onto the ice.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2017, 10:32 AM »
a good gps is a must. I have had too many times coming off the ice after dark and was not able to find my way back to where I needed to be because of fog. Often times got dis-orientated and ended up lost. one time it was downpouring so couldnt use my phone to help assist as it isnt water proof.

In hindsight because of that happening I was easily able to justify a new Helix unit with GPS to the wife just for that reason alone.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2017, 10:58 AM »
Early on I would use a small flat bottom aluminum boat, like riding a skate board one leg in one out.  Never had it break through.  ::)
Bud

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2017, 12:32 PM »
All great advice ...only thing I add ...change of  warm clothes and/or a warm blanket at your automobile/truck .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2017, 12:38 PM »
not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but always tell someone (wife/family member) where your going and when you plan on being back. Had one friend get stuck out on the ice for 2 days since he never told anyone where he was.  A snowmobiler found him by luck since he was out of cell range and about 25km away from the closest house.

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2017, 01:28 PM »
Yes, the last two very important. It's over an hours drive for me to get to ice and I print up a map and mark on it for my wife the area I will start and might move too. I even do that when I go out of state. Started that years ago when hunting and that nut job was going around shooting hunters.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2017, 02:31 PM »
Generally solo 98% of the time lately, by choice.  Stryker Suit with spud in hand always, seem to be travelling lighter with age which appears to be more effective as well, if we have a viable season and can go more than on occcaion

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2017, 07:56 PM »
Float suit.  I have tried one out the hard way, they work.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2017, 09:55 PM »
All great advice ...only thing I add ...change of  warm clothes and/or a warm blanket at your automobile/truck .

We often think of safety on the ice but if we go in or have some other issue a warm set of clothing/sleeping bag in the vehicle can be a lifesaver.  I travel a lot for work and carry a small tote with sleeping bag, candles, matches, lighter, snacks, hat and gloves in it.  I take it out in the summer but this is my safety kit for the winter time.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 16, 2017, 10:35 PM »
 i also fish alone most of the time, but up here thin ice is rarely a concern.  we're usually driving trucks most places by christmas time but snow storms on the other hand are frequent, so i always go with enough stuff to spend the night in -30c.  none the less, the float suit is always on.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Sep 17, 2017, 11:55 AM »
I will probably be mostly fishing alone since at my age most of my friends are too old and beat up to go on the ice. I have a wheelhouse, side by side and three portables. Safety becomes something to think about more each trip. At least where I live we usually have thick ice. I can remember the days of taking friends along, furnishing most everything, doing all of the work and listening to comments about catching more fish if the guide was better. Lol, maybe fishing solo isn't such a bad idea when I think about it.  ;D ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Sep 17, 2017, 12:45 PM »
The thing that will help you the most to stay safe is to be smart when you go on the ice, namely spud you way out and back, don't go on thin ice, and don't go on bad ice.  The next things that'll help you is a floating ice suit and a set of ice picks that you wear around your neck will help you if you go through.  The ice picks are no good if they're sitting in your sled or somewhere that you can't get to them.  Also you can't go wrong with IFF's idea, you might get some silly looks but using the boat  will not only keep you safe and dry if the ice ever lets loose but it'll also haul all your gear and leave you room to spare.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #17 on: Sep 17, 2017, 04:43 PM »
learn a better way for self rescue. the float suit will keep you up higher in the water and makes it easier to get out of it. the suit will try to keep you on your back so don't fight it. use it to help you help yourself. use your feet to kick and your hands if you have to move back to the edge of ice. then get your neck and then your back and then an elbow and then another elbow on the ice. once you've done this, just try to swing one knee or both at the same time up onto the ice and then roll away from the hole. if you can't swing a knee up yet keep kicking as if your life depends on it and try to keep elbow walking too.
 it is easy after you have collected your thoughts enough. the shock of falling in can happen at any time, so try to get out asap. keep dry clothes and a blanket or two in your vehicle and a large beach towel and spare shoes. maybe a large garbage bag to put on your seat if you have to get into your vehicle wet. this will help keep your seat dry as you change clothes inside of it.
i keep a garbage bag with these things in it. your boots will keep filling with water after you get out.

if you can react to falling in, try to spread out your arms and legs to slow down the speed of entering the water. the main thing is to not get your face under water and have an accidental gasp of the water. it's hard to think of what to do as we fall because we fall so fast.

get a water/dry bag for your cell that floats (7$ on amazon). you might need to call 911 if you can't get out or find yourself in trouble after you get out. you won't like your phone being ruined if you don't need it for the self rescue. i use them kayaking too.

if you think your too cold afterwords, maybe go to a hospital and explain what happened so they can warm your core back up in hot water. the older we get the harder it is to regulate our core temp.

we use a magnetic chalk board (erasable markers) on our fridge and i will write when and where i am going on it. i am always home by 1am the next day.

watch for ice conditions to change while your out on it. i lost shore ice while on it one year. was solid getting on and with in one hour it was gone and i had to walk the bottom of the lake to get out and help a senior get out. the shore was missing at least 15 feet.

todays flash lights have built-in SOS and are very bright, so think about having a few of those and head lights offer them now too and i prefer to use them over a hand held. bring spare batteries.

if you go to ice that can break away from shore, get a personal locator beacon.

if your on ice that you can't see shore, use a gps app in your smart phone. if you don't have a smart phone get one (can be bought new for 20$ at best buy) and don't activate it. it will still dial 911 and you can still use all the apps on it except for the ones that need a cell service. but the gps modual will always work, so use off-line gps apps like navigon. put a way point where you park so you can always get back to it.

i use reflector rope to pull my gear. this can be handy if a snow machine is getting too close and your batteries are dead on your lights.
you can build or buy a charger for your batteries so you'll always be able to have charged batteries on ice. i built a battery box that power a COB light bar ($6 on amazon) that is always lit after dark while fishing and while walking off ice. you can hook up a usb battery charger to that too.

it is warm enough now to practice jumping into water with your float suit to see what it does when your not expecting to save your life. try a public boat launch and jump off of it. pay attention to if your face goes under or not and which way your body lays on top of the water. try to notice how fast you drop into the water. the only thing this won't help you with is getting to a layer of ice and elbow walking up and onto it.

it has been said that if you can not get out, let your arms freeze to the surface of the ice. this will buy you more time for others to try to find you alive or your body.

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2017, 06:28 PM »
Concur 100% on the float bib/jacket or both...they are getting pretty economical now if you watch for deals. I picked up my first set this off-season on amazon for almost 1/2 retail. In addition to the info regarding GPS already provided by others, i started sending a text home with my gps coordinates from my phone (when there's a signal which is most areas that I fish). That way, folks at home know my last location should I not show up at home when planned.

Tight lines...
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Sep 17, 2017, 07:59 PM »
You might consider getting a spot unit as well. Pretty cheap considering it may save your life. I've also invested in a nebulus air bag for my atv. I also carry two ice anchors to winch out my atv.. tying off isn't a bad idea. If you tie loops into your safety rope every 5 feet, that can give you a handhold to help pull yourself back out too.

Offline dukhnter8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 18, 2017, 09:30 AM »
Spud is number one must have item when fishing solo with that knowing how to use it. Different ice has different sounds, do not proceed if unsure.

Then float suit or even a regular life jacket.

I fish solo a lot as well but most areas have other people out. But if not I spud when moving around unless its been really cold for a while and I know the areas I fish do not have weird currents or other areas that would have unsafe ice.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 18, 2017, 10:34 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions,all are very helpful.I never thought of tying hand loops in a tie off rope,smart.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.