Author Topic: Wolfram Fiskas or Custom J & S Chekai Ice Jigs?  (Read 2400 times)

Offline fishyholes

• IceShanty Rookie
Wolfram Fiskas or Custom J & S Chekai Ice Jigs?
« on: Sep 13, 2017, 12:14 AM »
Which do you prefer and why? I am looking for opinions from those who have owned and fished both and have a preference in particular.

Thanks!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Wolfram Fiskas or Custom J & S Chekai Ice Jigs?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2017, 06:24 AM »
fiskas they have sharper hooks and are tungsten, just a better quality jig.3mm black/glow dots,red with glow dots and white/black dots and get some metallic colors to.4mm is good when panfish are aggressive but I keep my presentation small all year.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2017, 09:17 AM »
Ive only used the Fiskas. Gonna get some more for this season. Small, heavy, strong hooks.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2017, 09:27 AM »
I can't speak for fiskas as I have never used them but I have had god luck with Custom j &S.  I like the chekai jig as it tungsten and haven't had any problems, I also like their diamond jig for a compacted lead jig.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2017, 10:16 AM »
I like the fiska I have, sticky sharp hooks which means more fish on the ice

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2017, 12:06 PM »
Fiskas all day long. Durable finishes, strong sharp hooks, made in Michigan, affordable quality when compared to major brands in my opinion. I own about 50 Fiskas in sizes 3-5mm and I just placed another order this morning. Their longshank walleye jigs look nice along with their extended sizes in 6,7, and 9mm.

I believe Fiskas to be the best tungsten jigs available.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline 911panfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2017, 07:38 PM »
I gotta disagree ., never used the j&s but the dusk as hooks are very brittle .i have heard so many guys complain about the hooks breaking .

Offline 911panfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2017, 07:39 PM »
Sorry .. fiska not dusk .. fat fingered it

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2017, 08:26 PM »
Fiskas sticky sharp! Great jigs.
Dont forget bratners also real good.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2017, 04:59 AM »
I like Fiska's. That said i did have a issue with three brand new jigs of a certain color. There was no barb on the hook. I was catching and losing crappie. Those around me were catching. We all had the same jig going as it was on fire. After losing around 10 in quick succession. I looked at my jig to find no barb. I looked in my jig box and all other colors had a good barb. But the jigs i had of that certain color lacked one. So i walked over to one of the guys and asked him to see his jigs. His all had the barb. When home i reordered more of that color and they did have the barb. Must of just got a few bad ones.  ::)
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2017, 10:41 AM »
I gotta disagree ., never used the j&s but the dusk as hooks are very brittle .i have heard so many guys complain about the hooks breaking .

I use an old aluminum Perrine fly box with the metal clips for my Fiskas and have never had a hook break in the 4-5 years I've been using them. Those clips can be rough on hooks too. I even use them under a float in the soft water seasons. I honestly don't understand how people keep breaking them. I've caught several pike and bass on them too. Never had an issue with durability. My rods would break before the hook. I wouldn't own 50+ jigs that weren't durable.

It's weird how some things work better/worse for others. I see the same thing a lot when it comes to reel recommendations. Some people its the best reel, some people it's the worst.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2017, 11:17 AM »
ive had quite a few fiska hooks break.most were the gh190.cant just go ripping and tearing on them with the hemos or pliers that's for sure.dont know why that jig breaks its the one with no eye and you have to put the line thru the hole in it then snell it to the hook,hooks break clean off the jig while fighting fish.I still use fiskas tho the hooks really are sticky sharp.ive had 5 or so bust over a few years.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2017, 11:31 AM »
I've broken a few J & S Cheki jigs already. I need to remember these are 1lb perch so i don't have to set the hook hard. :P

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2017, 12:34 PM »
I use an old aluminum Perrine fly box with the metal clips for my Fiskas and have never had a hook break in the 4-5 years I've been using them. Those clips can be rough on hooks too. I even use them under a float in the soft water seasons. I honestly don't understand how people keep breaking them. I've caught several pike and bass on them too. Never had an issue with durability. My rods would break before the hook. I wouldn't own 50+ jigs that weren't durable.

It's weird how some things work better/worse for others. I see the same thing a lot when it comes to reel recommendations. Some people its the best reel, some people it's the worst.
.                   I have the same box u have , and they break right where hook meets tungsten taking fish off, even if very careful. Had about 3 break last year and I fish every day pretty much!  Cured the problem I think with the panfish toothpick !! Great product !!

Offline rangerbill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Sep 25, 2017, 08:42 PM »
I know it wasnt one of the options, but widowmaker jigs are AWESOME.  Found them at the ice show in Milwaukee two years ago and will not switch back. Great quality and price and made in the USA.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.