Author Topic: Electric auger which one?  (Read 3801 times)

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Electric auger which one?
« Reply #30 on: Sep 14, 2017, 11:10 AM »
Just curious , since my brother and I both have an Ion, I was thinking of selling mine and getting a drill set up. I saw several last year on the ice but it seemed like they had to bear down hard to get the hole drilled. Is this normal? What would the cost be for a good drill, extra battery, clam plate and oy K-drill auger bit?

I run an ion, and my buddy has a k drill, i dont think i have to put any more force on the k drill then i have on my ion, it cuts faster just because the rpms are higher but thats about it. after using both, and when my ion dies, i will go back to another ion. I really dont like that "unbreakable" plastic flighting, but I will be honest, i am a 6 foot 5 inch meat head, i break crap constantly just by my nature. But hey 10lbs for a full setup is pretty nice for those suckers that pull everything out on the ice by hand.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Sep 14, 2017, 11:16 AM »
Thanks guys, what would the total price for the set up be?
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Sep 14, 2017, 11:33 AM »
well if you go with Milwaukee, its around 280 for drill, (M18, 1/2 drive) and 200 or so for the k drill. So 480 or so give or take if you can find deals.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Sep 14, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Another option:
Milwaukee 2704-22, $245 on Amazon
Clam plate $70 (without gear box)
Clam plate extension $16
"8 Lazer, $100, keep the top part in your sled in case something goes wrong
Total: $431 before tax and shipping

I use a similar set up, the only difference is I have a 8" Fin Bore auger, uses Lazer blades. I really love the Clam Plate. Previously, I used the drill with an adapter directly to the auger. You have to be careful not hurt, twist or even break your wrist with the drill, you have to brace the drill against your body.
The Clam Plate is like using a regular auger with 2 foam handles, really comfortable.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #34 on: Sep 14, 2017, 06:52 PM »
Just curious , since my brother and I both have an Ion, I was thinking of selling mine and getting a drill set up. I saw several last year on the ice but it seemed like they had to bear down hard to get the hole drilled. Is this normal? What would the cost be for a good drill, extra battery, clam plate and oy K-drill auger bit?

It really depends on what you are looking for drill wise and setup wise.

With a 700in/lb brushless drill you can turn an 8in auger. I works the drill a bit in thick ice but handles the job. Anything lower is only good for a 6in unless you get a gear box.

With the 1200in/lb brushless drills they handle an 8in easy and will turn a 10in nils.

Milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt and Rigid brushless drills. Seem to be the most popular.

About any hand auger works great. The Nils and Kdrill work well for wheel house holes since they have Points to guide the bit when starting.

my 8in nils cuts a 8 1/2in hole with the power point cutting head. An 8in K drill cuts a 7 1/2in hole.

I'd say a drill setup can be really cheap to higher cost then a top of the line cost ice auger.

example of a cheap nice setup.

8in mora of craigslist. $20
1st gen clam plate off craigslist $30
Milwaukee 725  in/lb tool charger battery kit $170 (2-5ah batts)

$220

high cost

10in nils $360
latest clam plate $70
Milwaukee 1200in lb tool charger kit $240 (2-5ah batts)

$670

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Sep 14, 2017, 08:34 PM »

I only have to bear down when the blades are dull, no clam plate, dewalt brushless hammer drill, and it's the work drill, $100 plus batteries

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.