Author Topic: Electric auger which one?  (Read 3790 times)

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
Electric auger which one?
« on: Sep 10, 2017, 07:52 PM »
Was impressed with the Ion last year, my buddy has one.  Anyone buy those trophy strikes n what ya think which one in your guys opinions?

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Electric auger which one?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2017, 08:14 PM »
I've had my ION for two season now and love it. Never let me down like my gas ones did.

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2017, 08:41 PM »
How about the batteries? They hold up all day and do u have to keep them warm

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2017, 09:01 PM »
I wanted a Ion. I wanted a 10" bit as that is what my z71 has.  I was't going to buy a ion then drop another $170 on a 10" bit.   I also watched youtube videos with the 10" bit and they were pretty slow drilling the ice. 

I decided to go with a 8" Kdrill last year.  Got the Milwaukee M18 fuel hammer drill to go along with it.   This thing rips through the ice.  Was out on 26-28" of ice each 5ah battery lasted about a dozen holes.  Most of my ice fishing is done on 18" or less so they are fine. 

They have 9ah batteries now @ home depot for $200 with charger & 2 batteries.  Drill is about $100 more.  Pretty sure that will be my ice fishing purchase this year to have the extra capacity.
Don

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2017, 10:04 PM »
How about the batteries? They hold up all day and do u have to keep them warm

I have never needed to keep them warm, I did run out of juice after drilling 50+ holes in 20" of ice but that was a tough day of fishing. I love this auger and will never go back to gas. I do think the k-drill is also a good option but I'm very happy with my auger.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2017, 06:32 AM »
I wanted a Ion. I wanted a 10" bit as that is what my z71 has.  I was't going to buy a ion then drop another $170 on a 10" bit.   I also watched youtube videos with the 10" bit and they were pretty slow drilling the ice. 

I decided to go with a 8" Kdrill last year.  Got the Milwaukee M18 fuel hammer drill to go along with it.   This thing rips through the ice.  Was out on 26-28" of ice each 5ah battery lasted about a dozen holes.  Most of my ice fishing is done on 18" or less so they are fine. 

They have 9ah batteries now @ home depot for $200 with charger & 2 batteries.  Drill is about $100 more.  Pretty sure that will be my ice fishing purchase this year to have the extra capacity.

X2 on the Milwalkie and a good bit.  I use an 8" Nils on mine. The Milwalkie batteries are not suseptable to the cold - and with the new 9A battery out - would make an awesome drill platform.

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2017, 09:19 AM »
You can get a Milwaukee 2703 drill driver for $130, and Home Depot has 2 9amp batteries and the rapid charger on sale for $199.  330 for all of it plus a hand auger bit and you'll be drilling all day.

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2017, 09:44 AM »
Ion believer here, I run with two batteries and can get 80 or so holes with them, and lets be honest if i drill more then 80 holes, i need to go home since the fishing is bad. I do get less if i am forced to run the extension obviously. Its ran for 3 seasons now with very little issues, and the one issue i had, i called up to their customer service and it was awesome. I have my ion mounted to the front of my snowmobile with a home made mount and its always at the ready. I keep the battery's in my lunch pail, and hey who doesn't have their lunch handy?!?! haha...

I had a buddy get a k drill last season, and it worked well too, but its plastic and i tend to be hard on sh!t and i just cant see it holding up that long for a guy like me, but overall performance so far i cant say many bad things. If i only fished 10 or so times in the winter i would probably have a k drill setup, but the all metal auger flighting on the Ion is a must for me.

I will never go back to gas or propane, ever... Pull the trigger and go, hard to get past. 

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2017, 09:55 AM »
Love my M18 Mora setup.  Plus I use the heck out of the drill all year also.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2017, 04:39 PM »
I live in New England and love the Ion. It,s only 21 lbs and drilled 88 holes thru 12" and battery was still going. Nice and quiet, no gas issues, and I lay the Ion on the ice with battery attached to it with no problems.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2017, 04:48 PM »
For what Ice I have, here locally the K-Drill/Milwaukee is perfect for me.  Picked up an extra pair of 5AH when they were on sale 2 for 1. 

Slayer, looks like I will be able to go any day I want, when we get ice.  ;D
Bud

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2017, 04:54 PM »
Was impressed with the Ion last year, my buddy has one.  Anyone buy those trophy strikes n what ya think which one in your guys opinions?

I think the trophy strikes would be ok. However, it looks like a smaller company. With Ion you have a major company backing, which will be around for the long haul. IMO knowing a company is going to be around and having major box stores carrying things like blades, batteries, and battery chargers if a guy needs one in a pinch is worth a lot. I understand nobody buys an item thinking they will have any issues, but when they do it is nice to have stuff close by. I had a friend that forgot his ion battery at home when we went on a trip, but was able to pick one up at a bait store. Not sure if trophy strike will have many dealers carrying their product.

My uncle has an ion and loves it. Thing works great. I ended up going with the Milwaukee drill/clam plate/hand auger.  It works great. Either way you go I think you'll be fine.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2017, 08:23 AM »
I unfortunately wasn't impressed with the ion x last year. I have an old jiffy but my dad upgraded to the Ion X and after throwing his back out I was able to use it for the year. This year is my year to upgrade and I was glad to get the opportunity to try out the Ion X without having to buy it. Weight is nice, battery life was awesome but I hated how slow it drilled. Reverse is convenient for hole hopping but if you're going to sit and fish a hole for awhile, I still had to skim the hole or the leftover ice drove me crazy

I also was able to try out a friends Razr electric auger, a lot more bulky and I didn't really like the thumb control, but as far as drilling I liked it a lot better than the Ion. I've heard they are supposed to be coming out with a new design this year but haven't seen anything released. Price point is a lot more manageable too. Not saying I'd recommend it over the Ion or Trophy Strike but it is another option.

Personally, I'm going with the Milwaukee/Kdrill combo this year. Only downfall of it seems to be the battery life and when comparing the cost of the Milw/Kdrill combo to an Ion, I could get two 9ah and two 5 ah batteries for the same price. No way anyone would go through all 4 of those batteries in a day.

Can you really go wrong with any of the electric auger or drill options on the market right now? It's amazing how far augers and batteries have come in the last several years.
Da Pack!

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2017, 08:30 AM »
I've owned an Ion now for 4 years, works great.  I really don't understand the drill speed argument?  What is it like 30 seconds slower per hole?  Is that really a deal breaker? How?  Show up 5 minutes earlier to fish and you've made up the hole speed difference for the entire day...

The only other "complaint" I've heard is that you need to keep the battery warm, a $5 soft lunch box fixes this....

There's nothing better on the ice than pulling upto your spot and instantly drilling a hole, no priming, no multiple pulls, no warm up, just pull the trigger...

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2017, 08:50 AM »
I've owned an Ion now for 4 years, works great.  I really don't understand the drill speed argument?  What is it like 30 seconds slower per hole?  Is that really a deal breaker? How?  Show up 5 minutes earlier to fish and you've made up the hole speed difference for the entire day...

The only other "complaint" I've heard is that you need to keep the battery warm, a $5 soft lunch box fixes this....

There's nothing better on the ice than pulling upto your spot and instantly drilling a hole, no priming, no multiple pulls, no warm up, just pull the trigger...

If I'm going to spend $500-600 on an auger, 30 seconds makes a big difference. An average of 20 holes/day, 40 holes/week, 14+ weeks of fishing. That comes out to almost 3 hours of extra drilling a year (assuming 30 seconds, though it is significantly longer than this in 20" of ice compared to a nils or lazer). 3 hours of fishing could easily be a limit of fish. I'm not trying to make an argument of a drill vs electric auger. There are obviously other things to take into consideration in that regards. Just sharing my experience with the Ion. Is an extra 1-2 pounds a deal breaker? Or a little more bulky? Or a little cheaper replacement blades? To each his own. Like I said, I don't think you can go wrong with any electric auger or drill combo on the market.
Da Pack!

Offline Cfilbert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:12 AM »
I have the Milwaukee with a 8" K-Drill.  Didn't get to use it much last year.  The first time out I just drilled 12 holes through 30 inches of ice and the battery still had 1/2 charge left.  A lot of people seem to think since the flights are plastic that it is inferior.  Me on the other hand like the ability if something should happen to the flighting I can just reorder one of the pieces and replace it myself.   
Is the ice thick enough yet?

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:30 AM »
Had Zero issues with my X and it's NOWHERE near 30 seconds slower per hole:)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:46 AM »
Had Zero issues with my X and it's NOWHERE near 30 seconds slower per hole:)
I agree, no where that much difference especially if you deduct the starting time and such from gas augers and the drill setups are nice but many , many less holes per battery. I was going to pick one up but after watching Kdrill last year there is very little difference in time. If I drill 20 holes in a day, and there was 30 second difference, then that's 6 minutes but after the first 5 holes, all my type is in the water anyway so to move a couple doesn't lose any fishing time anyway. Most of the reviews that don't like the Ion are not Ion owners????

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:57 AM »
I'm glad you guys haven't had any issues, but how about the auger bit needing to be replaced on the ion X last season? Excellent customer service to get it replaced but it was still an issue to begin with and an inconvenience for the people who had to go through it. Everything has a flaw one way or another, it is a shame Ion owner's can't acknowledge that. It makes me wonder how inaccurate other product reviews are simply because people are too proud to admit something isn't perfect. I guess if I spent the $600 last season instead of just getting to use it for free, maybe I'd overlook the flaws too.

A slower auger is something you accept by buying an Ion. If that doesn't bother you then it is a just about the ideal auger. The popularity of Nils and Lazer augers proves that some people do care about speed though.
Da Pack!

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Sep 12, 2017, 10:05 AM »
I bought a brand new 8" K Drill last winter. Neighbor bought a brand new 8" Ion X last winter. We went out fishing one Saturday and decided to see what was faster. 8" K Drill drills two holes to every one the Ion X could drill. Very happy I went with the K Drill. Had two 5.0 batteries and one 9.0 battery last winter. No problem drilling all the holes I wanted in a days outing. Having a cordless drill I can use year round instead of hanging $500+ on the wall for 7 months of the year not being able to use it ever is nice as well.

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #20 on: Sep 12, 2017, 10:09 AM »
Some bits needed to replace because they had the wrong paint. My solution was to call them, talk to them, have a great conversation where they were amazingly helpful and agreed to and did send out a new part, fish while I waited for said part to arive, receive and attach new part, put old part back in the box the new part came in and send it back to Ion on their dime. No pride here, just an owner of a tool that had a minor issue that was beyond easy to resolve.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Sep 12, 2017, 10:21 AM »
Some bits needed to replace because they had the wrong paint. My solution was to call them, talk to them, have a great conversation where they were amazingly helpful and agreed to and did send out a new part, fish while I waited for said part to arive, receive and attach new part, put old part back in the box the new part came in and send it back to Ion on their dime. No pride here, just an owner of a tool that had a minor issue that was beyond easy to resolve.

Well at least we're making progress here. You went from "Zero issues" to "Minor issues". I too went through that process and they have awesome customer service, no denying that. But so does my Chevrolet and I still get irritated when I get a notice in the mail for a recall. I'm not sure why everyone is so defensive on this topic. It is well known that the Ion is a excellent product ranks up there with the best of the best, but no set-up currently on the market ranks #1 in weight, speed, battery life, price, etc.
Da Pack!

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #22 on: Sep 12, 2017, 10:26 AM »
Ok man, I guess you just want to find issues. I'm not nearly as bothered by a minor inconvenience as you I guess?Not really sure where you see "defensive"?

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 12, 2017, 11:02 AM »
I have noticed over the years that some equipment that is great for one person may not be the best for another so what ever works best. I love using the Ion for the entire weekend on 1 battery, not having to charge it, and not having to carry 3 battery's with me. I also like the ability to re-open a hole which many don't have because I live on a lake and often fish the same holes if they were hot. Mine is 3 years old so I didn't have that problem. the only issues I've had is that you can't sharpen the blades and if they get bumped it throws the pitch off and won't drill. I may try the drill with the K-Drill for those days that I go out alone and go light without a sled.

Offline guthook1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Sep 12, 2017, 12:03 PM »
I have the ION X.  We have a wheelhouse - we don't move it around much,  and my gas Strikemaster Honda didn't like to re-drill the existing holes...another goodie is that the auger will operate in reverse, blowing a lot of the drillings down the hole. 

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:07 PM »
I love my Milwaukee Fuel - Clam plate - Mora auger. Super fast and Ultra light are the two biggest advantages to this drill auger setup. I usually can get one assembled the way I like it in the $325-$350 neighborhood depending on battery options. In my opinion these augers provide incredible performance with tremendous value and parts readily availability almost anywhere. It's been good enough to all but retire my Eskimo gas auger, which hasent made it out with me in several years now, and most of my ice fishing buddies have made the switch and are now owners.

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Sep 14, 2017, 01:19 AM »
Dewalt for me!  I run it on a 6" lazer, might jump up to an 8 this year

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 14, 2017, 10:32 AM »
Just curious , since my brother and I both have an Ion, I was thinking of selling mine and getting a drill set up. I saw several last year on the ice but it seemed like they had to bear down hard to get the hole drilled. Is this normal? What would the cost be for a good drill, extra battery, clam plate and oy K-drill auger bit?

Offline scottbreum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Sep 14, 2017, 10:59 AM »
I have 2 seasons on a 8 inch Nils and love it, bought a dewalt 20v drill and two four ah batteries and can drill as many holes as I can stand. The added bonus is I use the drill all summer and use the 4 ah batteries to run a electric weed eater.  The  nils drills faster than my old shark gas auger and I don't  have to worry about it starting.

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Sep 14, 2017, 11:04 AM »
Just curious , since my brother and I both have an Ion, I was thinking of selling mine and getting a drill set up. I saw several last year on the ice but it seemed like they had to bear down hard to get the hole drilled. Is this normal? What would the cost be for a good drill, extra battery, clam plate and oy K-drill auger bit?

I ran the 8" K Drill all last ice season. I drilled hundreds of holes with it. At no time did I ever have to put any downward pressure on the drill to get it to cut. Just the weight of the drill and battery was enough to make it go down, and cut smooth as butter. Having to push down while drilling isn't normal for a K Drill. The K Drill also drill two holes to every one the Ion X could drill so it is twice as fast, still has reverse, can reopen old froze over holes, can drill connecting holes, you have a tool you can use year round instead of a $500+ dollar bill collecting dust for 8+ months out of the year, and free lifetime blade sharpening.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.