Author Topic: Line spool holder  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Line spool holder
« on: Sep 04, 2017, 08:53 AM »
Super simple design to make re-spooling lines easier this fall. I didn't see it posted anywhere yet so I thought I'd share. Total cost was less than $5 and took me less than 20 minutes to put together. Easy to adjust the tension of the spool depending on what you're spooling. I use a clamp to attach it to my work bench because I don't want to drill into it but you could easily make it permanent by screwing it to something.

Da Pack!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: Line spool holder
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2017, 02:16 PM »
Enough room for a bulk spool, right??
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2017, 02:25 PM »
Enough room for a bulk spool, right??

You could use whatever length bolt that you want, I used a 6" bolt but I don't usually buy bulk line. I think I'd use an 8" bolt if you were using a bulk spool though, just to be safe.
Da Pack!

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2017, 02:28 PM »
Very nice!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2017, 03:03 PM »
Nice set up.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2017, 04:06 PM »
The only problem with that setup is line twist when you spool a spinning reel unless the spool from the spinning reel is off the reel and spun in some manner. To solve that problem I would suggest a screw eye in the frame for the line to pass through. Take the line off in the same direction on both spools. Place the screw eye under the line spool and take it off facing the 'flat' of the line spool in the proper direction. Good luck!!! I'll see if I can find a picture of what I mean and I'll post it! :) Something like this....

My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2017, 09:04 AM »
The only problem with that setup is line twist when you spool a spinning reel unless the spool from the spinning reel is off the reel and spun in some manner. To solve that problem I would suggest a screw eye in the frame for the line to pass through. Take the line off in the same direction on both spools. Place the screw eye under the line spool and take it off facing the 'flat' of the line spool in the proper direction. Good luck!!! I'll see if I can find a picture of what I mean and I'll post it! :) Something like this....

(Image removed from quote.)

Something I've never thought of and honestly didn't know! So would the same need to be done for straight line reels or does it not matter? My two main reels are the Frabill 371 and BB freefall so I'm not sure it would really matter since they aren't spinning reels? Thanks for the tip!!
Da Pack!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2017, 09:13 AM »
If you only use straight line reels, it shouldn't be a problem! Same with a baitcaster for the summer season. It will only cause problems with spinning reels!  :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.