Author Topic: Old Farmers Almanac Winter 2017/2018  (Read 4837 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Old Farmers Almanac Winter 2017/2018
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2017, 09:00 AM »
well, that looks like a pretty bleak forecast for my area. wet and a mild. Translates to slushy snow with a lot of melt off. But one good thing. The Farmers Almanac is only 50% right, 50% of the time...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2017, 10:35 AM »
Is al gore calling the shots for the Farmer's Almanac? It's saying mild just about everywhere, even Canada! I smell a rat...   ::)
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2017, 11:38 AM »

time will tell

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2017, 09:33 AM »
Planning ice trips based on the weatherman never seems to workout unless there's a major storm. With the big stuff, at least here in WI, they're pretty good.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2017, 10:39 AM »
I feel they can't predict a weeks forecast right.
Never mind a whole winter.
I agree with Freddy,,,Time will tell.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2017, 02:02 PM »
I feel they can't predict a weeks forecast right.
Never mind a whole winter.
I agree with Freddy,,,Time will tell.

Most of these predictions go of of historic data and patterns. Depending on what the southern oscillation does (el Nino or el Nina) and what it's strength is will determine what kind of winter we have. Ice will come......

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2017, 02:35 PM »
Most of these predictions go of of historic data and patterns. Depending on what the southern oscillation does (el Nino or el Nina) and what it's strength is will determine what kind of winter we have. Ice will come......
It's just the quality and quantity that is in question!!! :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2017, 03:10 PM »
X2
Nobody here is saying we won't get ice Agro ,

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2017, 12:01 PM »
If the past 3 winters are any indication we are due for nasty one here in Iowa. I have to be optimistic because the last 3 have sucked for us. I realize that I'm in central Iowa and on the edge of the ice belt but we should get a 2 month season at least, not a 3 week season like we've had the past 3 years. We are due for a cold nasty winter. Mark my words!!!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2017, 09:29 AM »
The Farmer's Almanac is calling for a cold and snowy winter from Pennsylvania to Maine and for a good season for the rest of us.  I sure hope this one is the one that turns out to be right.

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-outlook/2018-winter-forecast/

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Sep 09, 2017, 09:48 AM »

Well let's hope for a decent ice season we always get the cold but our snow fall kills us sometimes

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #13 on: Sep 09, 2017, 11:05 AM »
I like the "Farmer's Almanac since 1818" forecast much better than the"Old Farmer's Almanac founded in 1792" ...   ::)
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Sep 09, 2017, 11:34 AM »
Me to.   ;)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 09, 2017, 08:21 PM »
X2
Nobody here is saying we won't get ice Agro ,

I understand. According to the southern oscillation we will be average on temps and snow if things don't change

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2017, 07:29 AM »
I understand. According to the southern oscillation we will be average on temps and snow if things don't change

I am on board with that ....a foot of ice and 3 inches of snow is my sweet spot .

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 11, 2017, 03:19 PM »

I will take that! We need a good solid average winter!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2017, 04:37 PM »
I am on board with that ....a foot of ice and 3 inches of snow is my sweet spot .

That is if the ocean temps stay average.......if they start to change then El Niņo or el Nina will go into effect....right now they are average and haven't been showing any signs of change.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2017, 09:31 PM »
   Right now they are average and haven't been showing any signs of change.
  Yup.  Just dandy and normal.

Ask anyone from Houston or Florida.      :sick: :nono:
                                                                                        :icefish:

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 14, 2017, 08:22 AM »
  Yup.  Just dandy and normal.

Ask anyone from Houston or Florida.      :sick: :nono:

Two different oceans, two different effects on the weather. 
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Sep 14, 2017, 09:03 AM »
Being a fairly simple man, please name the two different oceans.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Sep 14, 2017, 08:13 PM »
Being a fairly simple man, please name the two different oceans.

The southern oscillation deals with the Pacific Ocean and is how El Niņo or La Niņa strengths and occurrence are measured. The Pacific Ocean is to the west of us.

The Southern Oscillation Index (SOI) is a standardized index based on the observed sea level pressure differences between Tahiti and Darwin, Australia. The SOI is one measure of the large-scale fluctuations in air pressure occurring between the western and eastern tropical Pacific (i.e., the state of the Southern Oscillation) during El Niņo and La Niņa episodes. In general, smoothed time series of the SOI correspond very well with changes in ocean temperatures across the eastern tropical Pacific. The negative phase of the SOI represents below-normal air pressure at Tahiti and above-normal air pressure at Darwin. Prolonged periods of negative (positive) SOI values coincide with abnormally warm (cold) ocean waters across the eastern tropical Pacific typical of El Niņo (La Niņa) episodes. The methodology used to calculate SOI is available below. More information can be found at the Climate Prediction Center SOI page.

The Alantic Ocean is to the east of us which is the ocean hurricanes hit us from.

Generally global weather moves west to east. Hurricanes generally move east to west. (I can explain why, but if you really want to know just google it.)

That's two different oceans. Two different effects of the weather....Hence why the SO is used has a prediction model for a general seasonal weather trend in the USA.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #23 on: Sep 14, 2017, 08:33 PM »
Two different oceans, two different effects on the weather.

LOL DLB.

Do yourself a favor now and just block idahogator. He is an ignorant senile man. Once you try to educate or enlighten him on something it only enrages the man that he was wrong about something. While most people will believe facts and can be persuaded to the factual truth on things.  He he can't be and will try to defend a defenseless position with a number of fallacies he convinces himself of. It's at a level of denial like Hillary Clinton is at with losing to Trump. He will then become an individual trying to upset you with snide post, and will become a troll on everything you do.

Save yourself and use the block button! Blocking trolls makes the fourm that much more enjoyable!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #24 on: Sep 15, 2017, 01:32 AM »

Do yourself a favor now and just block idahogator. He is an ignorant senile man. Once you try to educate or enlighten him on something it only enrages the man that he was wrong about something. While most people will believe facts and can be persuaded to the factual truth on things.  He he can't be and will try to defend a defenseless position with a number of fallacies he convinces himself of. It's at a level of denial like Hillary Clinton is at with losing to Trump. He will then become an individual trying to upset you with snide post, and will become a troll on everything you do.

Save yourself and use the block button! Blocking trolls makes the fourm that much more enjoyable!

Most kind of you for the reminder ~ We have more favorable, if not similar traits than meets a hazard glance.  Though we may never share a table and chat at length, I respect your opinion and your exercising the first amendment right as granted.

"Teach the kids so we don't have to teach the adults."  Words from a rail splitter ~ Abraham Lincoln.

Have we failed?  Are more than a few unable to differentiate the gradient of humor?  Evidence is within the FORUM! ( Or fourm, per your use.)    ;)

Best of luck on the ice this coming season.

Tom

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Sep 15, 2017, 07:57 AM »
I suspect way more than a few are unable to differentiate. And evidence is in the printed fourm(past, present and future) on who has grammar skills and who does not. Yes, hurricane Harvey came from the Atlantic Ocean and yes, hurricane Irma came from the Atlantic Ocean and yes, that would be two different oceans. Jib Jab.

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Sep 15, 2017, 08:49 AM »
talking possible la nina now, up from 50 to 60% now.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #27 on: Sep 15, 2017, 12:21 PM »
I suspect way more than a few are unable to differentiate. And evidence is in the printed fourm(past, present and future) on who has grammar skills and who does not. Yes, hurricane Harvey came from the Atlantic Ocean and yes, hurricane Irma came from the Atlantic Ocean and yes, that would be two different oceans. Jib Jab.
Good one, Brownstick.     :thumbsup: :clap:

It appears we speak a similar language.    ;)2 :flex:

Thanks for the acknowledgement.    :bow:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.