Author Topic: k drill v lazer  (Read 3054 times)

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
k drill v lazer
« on: Aug 23, 2017, 08:47 AM »
Looking for advice from guys that have used both on a drill setup. I currently use and really like my lazer but tempted to try the kdrill. I like the fact the kdrill is a bit lighter but im not 100% sold on the chipper style blades that the kdrill has. Advice?

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: k drill v lazer
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2017, 09:08 AM »

This was a pretty cool video comparing the two. I've decided on the Nils but this is what convinced me to not get the lazer...
Da Pack!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2017, 09:38 AM »
there is some talk in the augers section about k-drill augers. they seem to be also aggressive as is the laser.

This was a pretty cool video comparing the two. I've decided on the Nils but this is what convinced me to not get the lazer...

clearly dull blades on the lazer or he wouldn't have his weight on it to cut.  he mentions he cut thousands of holes with it.
i have to lift mine with a drill on top some what and never have to push down.
as crooked as he cuts, he may have misaligned the blades too.

a nills is way better even if both were new, but the costs and hassle of the blades/head makes it not as diverse nor as inexpensive to operate.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2017, 10:20 AM »
there is some talk in the augers section about k-drill augers. they seem to be also aggressive as is the laser.

clearly dull blades on the lazer or he wouldn't have his weight on it to cut.  he mentions he cut thousands of holes with it.
i have to lift mine with a drill on top some what and never have to push down.
as crooked as he cuts, he may have misaligned the blades too.

a nills is way better even if both were new, but the costs and hassle of the blades/head makes it not as diverse nor as inexpensive to operate.

My mistake, I posted the wrong video initially. That video is what convinced me to go with the Nils rather than Lazer. This video is what made me decide against the k-drill.

From my experience with the Lazer, you need a descent amount of pressure to cut but both these videos seem to be a little excessive in how much pressure they're giving. I've only used it by hand and with a cheap drill though. It sounds like the k-drill is light and good for opening old holes but when it comes to speed, the nils has the clear advantage. Speed was the primary factor in my decision, but you can't really go wrong with any of the 3.
Da Pack!

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2017, 10:24 AM »
Looking for advice from guys that have used both on a drill setup. I currently use and really like my lazer but tempted to try the kdrill. I like the fact the kdrill is a bit lighter but im not 100% sold on the chipper style blades that the kdrill has. Advice?

I can attest that the K Drill chipper blades work just fine. I drilled hundreds of holes on one set of blades last winter and they still cut good at the end of the season. The K Drill chipper blades are nice for reopening frozen over holes, and connecting holes. Free lifetime blade sharpening always a plus.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2017, 10:25 AM »
If you're comparing cutting heads, its apples to oranges, one has a straight handle, one has an offset handle, the offset handle will be faster.
I have an 8" FinBore (uses Lazer blades) on a clam plate, Milwaukee Fuel drill, goes through the ice like butter.

I would like to see a hand FinBore go up against a hand Nils, they both have offset handles; I bet there would be little to no difference,

BUT if you are using a drill either will work, a Lazer will just cost you less and as mentioned, the replacement blades cost less to replace.

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2017, 10:29 AM »
I can't see how the price tag of the k drill makes it worth it. Lasers can be had for pretty cheap in the off season. Plus they are the size they say they are. Vs k drill 1/2 in short.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2017, 12:47 PM »
My Laser PULLS through the ice.  I pull up on the Milwaukee Fuel.

<{{{{{ °>
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2017, 01:12 PM »
my setup which is a cheap porta cable 18 volt drill/ice master  auger adapter and a 5 inch lazer auger will pull you right down to the ice with no assistance from me pushing on it.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2017, 02:49 PM »
So here’s the deal, the Lazer and Nils are going to be faster and you will probably get a few more holes from each.   Downside is once its dull, it’s dead.    The K-Drill will be slower, but here’s the upside.  You can burn it through dirty ice, it’s quite a bit lighter, you can easily reopen old holes and drill holes next to each other and if it happens to come detached it floats.  Oh, and it also comes with a lifetime sharpening policy on it.    I don’t think you will be disappointed in any of them, but think about how you fish and which auger matches your style best. 

Offline Cfilbert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2017, 03:19 PM »
So here’s the deal, the Lazer and Nils are going to be faster and you will probably get a few more holes from each.   Downside is once its dull, it’s dead.    The K-Drill will be slower, but here’s the upside.  You can burn it through dirty ice, it’s quite a bit lighter, you can easily reopen old holes and drill holes next to each other and if it happens to come detached it floats.  Oh, and it also comes with a lifetime sharpening policy on it.    I don’t think you will be disappointed in any of them, but think about how you fish and which auger matches your style best.

I believe the KDrill also has replaceable flighting
Is the ice thick enough yet?

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2017, 05:30 PM »

My mistake, I posted the wrong video initially. That video is what convinced me to go with the Nils rather than Lazer. This video is what made me decide against the k-drill.

From my experience with the Lazer, you need a descent amount of pressure to cut but both these videos seem to be a little excessive in how much pressure they're giving. I've only used it by hand and with a cheap drill though. It sounds like the k-drill is light and good for opening old holes but when it comes to speed, the nils has the clear advantage. Speed was the primary factor in my decision, but you can't really go wrong with any of the 3.

That video is really doesn't prove anything. If you want a fair contest then each auger needs to be using the same drill. Only 2 augers I have used a cordless drill with is a lazer and nils. The nils cuts fast and smooth. The lazer cuts fast but not as smooth. Even with that being said I will never buy a nils simply because I have seen way too many people needed them sharpened or having the cutting head bent. Just too expensive to maintain.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2017, 06:51 PM »
After reading dozens of review posts on here over the last couple years, the only thing I see that's different between the two is the kdrill doesn't "grab" at the bottom of the ice, wheras a mora will without letting up on the trigger a bit. I speak only of the mora but I've heard you don't have that sudden stop of the blades like you experience with mora blades. :)

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 23, 2017, 07:29 PM »
I believe the KDrill also has replaceable flighting

Quick question is the flighting plastic??  I always use the fighting to clean up the hole so that make that auger a bad idea for me if it is?? Cause I will drill down threw and  when it passes threw the ice I pull hard up threw straight with out turning the flighting this give me a clean hole on the sides so the line don't catch or break when fishing .. but if plastic I would be replacing the fighting like crazy..  I am sure the blades cut nice on it but if their replace able there is a reason I even pull the power auger threw same way so why  would they use plastic??

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Aug 23, 2017, 09:50 PM »
I have both 6" K-drill and 5" Lazer augers and find myself gravitating toward the K-drill for a number of reasons: 1) It's extremely light; 2) It opens old holes with ease; 3) It won't dull in dirty ice; 4) It cuts fast enough where the difference in speed compared to a Lazer is negligible; 5) It doesn't bite at the end of drilling a hole, which makes life easier on the wrists when using high-torque cordless drills; and 6) It leaves little to no slush in a hole.
I'm a run-and-gun type of fisherman and find that the K-Drill complements my style of fishing well. I plan on pairing my 5" Lazer with a Clam Drill Plate this upcoming ice season and will be interested to see if my opinion of the aforementioned changes by season's end.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 23, 2017, 10:40 PM »
I have both 6" K-drill and 5" Lazer augers and find myself gravitating toward the K-drill for a number of reasons: 1) It's extremely light;

Is it lighter than the Lazer?

K-drill says just under 5 pounds, a 6" Mora weighs just under four...

I would think a Mora and a Lazer would weigh the same, not sure though...

<°)))>{

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Aug 24, 2017, 08:20 PM »

Quick question is the flighting plastic??  I always use the fighting to clean up the hole so that make that auger a bad idea for me if it is?? Cause I will drill down threw and  when it passes threw the ice I pull hard up threw straight with out turning the flighting this give me a clean hole on the sides so the line don't catch or break when fishing .. but if plastic I would be replacing the fighting like crazy..  I am sure the blades cut nice on it but if their replace able there is a reason I even pull the power auger threw same way so why  would they use plastic??

The way its designed it cleans the hole out without using the flighting

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.