Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Coming to DesMoines area  (Read 806 times)

Offline Mich-transplant

• IceShanty Rookie
Coming to DesMoines area
« on: Aug 16, 2017, 09:41 AM »
Hey guys.  I know this is a little early to be thinking about ice fishing, but I have been away from Michigan for the last 4 years and miss hard water fishing.  I will be coming to the Des Moines area in the fall/early winter and am looking for any info on where I can do some ice fishing.  I'm not looking for  GPS coordinates or anything, just a push in the right direction.  Any and all help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance and I can't wait for the cold weather!!

Offline Mich-transplant

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Coming to DesMoines area
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2017, 09:55 AM »
I guess I could have given a little more info...I will be in the area for work, and will be out every weekend possible.  Thanks again!

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2017, 11:22 AM »
Fall/early winter say you. 2-4 hrs. north.

Offline Mich-transplant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2017, 11:59 AM »
Thanks Brownstick!  I will relocate then and be in the area most likely for a couple years.  I have been in Western Kentucky the last 4 years and haven't made it to Michigan to do any hard water fishing.  I grew up on the west side of the state right on Lake Michigan so I grew up salmon fishing on the big lake in the summer/fall months and ice fishing in the winter.  i am hoping that get info on some local lakes that provide some good fishing, but will travel to get my fix if needed!!  Thanks again

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2017, 02:30 PM »
Last year I fished Hooper (south of Des Moines) on 12/21  6 inches of crystal clear ice.   We were on Badger on 12/16 (West of Des Moines).   
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2017, 02:42 PM »
There are plenty of places to fish for most of the winter around central Iowa with safe ice.  I will say that my benchmark for how careful I am is this:  Anything side of I-80 I will always bring a life jacket or floatation device with rope and all the gear.  Anything north of I-80 seems to be a little safer.  Seems like you will have perfectly fine ice at Big Creek (north of I-80) then you will go to badger and they will have some sketchy spots (south of I-80). 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.