Author Topic: Easy way to identify tungsten  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Easy way to identify tungsten
« on: Aug 14, 2017, 07:43 PM »
I know I have asked before but thought maybe something new has come out. All my jigs are mixed due to fishing in 2 states but only 1 requiring non lead. I asked warden and he said he has no way to tell.(last year)
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Easy way to identify tungsten
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2017, 09:13 PM »
I know I have asked before but thought maybe something new has come out. All my jigs are mixed due to fishing in 2 states but only 1 requiring non lead. I asked warden and he said he has no way to tell.(last year)

Hopefully someone found a trick.

If two lures are about the same size, tungsten is so much heavier it Should be possible to tell which one it is.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2017, 09:18 PM »
have you tried using a magnet? lead won't stick and not for sure if tungsten will, but it might.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2017, 10:12 PM »
have you tried using a magnet? lead won't stick and not for sure if tungsten will, but it might.

I have a tungsten ring, it's not magnetic..

The steel hook would throw that test off anyway..

Tungsten just feels heavier than it looks, I can tell the difference just by picking them up in hand..

Try it..

<°)))>{

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2017, 11:14 PM »
Lead is soft. Pick up a scale at Harbor Freight for cheap.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2017, 12:08 AM »
Lead is soft. Pick up a scale at Harbor Freight for cheap.
ok and then I weigh the jig and that tells me what???
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2017, 05:27 AM »
figure it this way. Tungsten is 1.74 times as heavy as lead. Take the same size lead jig as your tungsten jig and weigh them, the tungsten jig will be about 1.5 - 1.625 times as heavy ( because the hook and paint and stuff weighs the same for each jig) as the lead jig.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2017, 07:05 AM »
  try dropping them on a counter top lead  should sound like a denser thud  and tungsten sounds metallic.kind of like picking zinc wheel weights out of my lead ones.i can easily put marks in lead with cutters but cant even scratch zinc.i don't know how to tell the diff between lead and titanium tho.by feel I could I think.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2017, 09:42 AM »
figure it this way. Tungsten is 1.74 times as heavy as lead. Take the same size lead jig as your tungsten jig and weigh them, the tungsten jig will be about 1.5 - 1.625 times as heavy ( because the hook and paint and stuff weighs the same for each jig) as the lead jig.
Thank you.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2017, 11:43 AM »
  try dropping them on a counter top lead  should sound like a denser thud  and tungsten sounds metallic.kind of like picking zinc wheel weights out of my lead ones.i can easily put marks in lead with cutters but cant even scratch zinc.i don't know how to tell the diff between lead and titanium tho.by feel I could I think.

X2

dropping it on a plate works well too.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2017, 06:02 PM »
So is the OP worried about fishing lead in a state where it is outlawed? I mean if the DNR guy said he has no way to tell, and the OP can't figure it out what is the possibility of getting a ticket?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2017, 09:44 PM »
Hit it with a lighter it melts it lead ;D

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2017, 10:47 PM »

LOL.....let me guess when he's done testing the lures the ones left are tungsten.....😮

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 16, 2017, 12:13 AM »
I'm gonna hit a tungsten jig with a hammer. I know what happens to lead.... @)
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Aug 16, 2017, 11:35 AM »
Do the taste test........ I'm sorry. Lord forgive me but I couldn't help myself.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 16, 2017, 05:33 PM »
LOL.....let me guess when he's done testing the lures the ones left are tungsten.....😮

Bingo but it's just a joke don't do it lols

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Aug 16, 2017, 06:45 PM »
I'm gonna hit a tungsten jig with a hammer. I know what happens to lead.... @)
What if this became the procedure in conservation officer's tested jigs to see what they were made of? I woild be a little P.O'd having to fish with a bunch of smashed up tungsten and melted lead jigs!  :o :o :o ;D

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Aug 16, 2017, 08:55 PM »
I'm really perplexed by how you guys can't tell the difference....

In hand..

One feels like your average lead jig..

The other, feels like it has double gravity on it!

What's the problem?

<°)))>{

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Aug 16, 2017, 09:39 PM »

In hand..

What's the problem?

<°)))>{
You guys?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Aug 16, 2017, 10:25 PM »

In hand..

What's the problem?

<°)))>{

Don't forget some jigs are mixed powder tungsten. And epoxy to make a sluge that sinks and is shapeable with silicone forms and also rotating a gob on a hook..  after hardened up the sluge is paintable.. but because they mixed with epoxy and tungsten powder you could get jigs the weight the same as a lead jig.. .  And can melt that like lead .. this is  Why this is not suggested ..  best idea to keep all seprate and labeled.. you could get a archery scale that does small amounts like 1/100 ounce and 1/1000  of a ounce . And compare what ever is heavier then the other in similar  sizes .. best of luck figuring it out..

just remember some states lead is out lawed so I don't suggest keeping lead jigs unless they change the rule back.  Kinda like snag sinkers they use to be legal here in michigan on the rifle river was like one year they did it after that they out lawed it so why would you keep them??  they outlawed them can't use them! So what we had got tossed.. but remember you can possess the item at home but not on the the rod or side of the river here in michigan it's how the law is worded if they change the law back they could use them but the law has not changed in at least the last 25 years that I know of.. here in michigan so I don't see why people would need them here??

That why I would say throw away old  and start over! Or wright on old box lead and put them away so just encase the law changes..  so they don't get used.. and mark the new box tungsten jigs.. this is the best I can suggest.. all it basically is a  honor system till they catch you  and trust me they will find a way yo do so..

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #20 on: Aug 17, 2017, 06:27 PM »
I'd be willing to bet you could train your ear to know the difference. Gotta be pretty old to remember real coins. You know, made out of real silver and real copper. Used to be they made a great sound when they hit the counter. Sounded like money  ;D. Now all I can think is who's trying to scam off with a bunch of slugs. New money "sounds" horrible.  :(

Bet there's a discernible difference between lead and tungsten products. I'll be checking it out (just for grins).
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Aug 20, 2017, 11:13 AM »
I believe the op was answered sufficiently on page 1 but.......My Father told me a time or three, years ago, get the lead out of your ass! Believe me, I know the difference between lead and any other substance on this planet! And if ever a reminder is needed I just think back on the days of parental teaching.  P.S. Most of which will land you in jail these days.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Aug 20, 2017, 02:21 PM »
The lack of that old style of parental teaching is just why the counties young'uns have no respect. Add to the loss of parental discipline the teachers not being able to either did not help.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #23 on: Aug 20, 2017, 09:12 PM »
The lack of that old style of parental teaching is just why the counties young'uns have no respect. Add to the loss of parental discipline the teachers not being able to either did not help.

x100......that and everybody gets a trophy for trying. Then people wonder why the younger generations feel they deserve everything now without doing anything. Don't we all know they participated and should be treated the same when they fail as those who succeed.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Aug 20, 2017, 10:06 PM »
Thanks for participating in my "has nothing to do with ice fishing story" but the word "lead" triggered the old memory section of my older brain. Now if I could just get rid of the 50 year old pain that nun inflicted on my knuckles with a non-bending 12 inch wooden ruler!   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.