Author Topic: 2017 clam drill plate adaptor  (Read 5972 times)

Offline Garrett

• IceShanty Rookie
2017 clam drill plate adaptor
« on: Aug 07, 2017, 04:02 PM »
Anybody hear when these will be back in stock anywhere and if there is any changes to the design vs last year? Last year I know they put out the gear box to add to the plate, I am tempted to buy the package with the auger but cant find anyplace that has them. If they change the design and up the price I will probably just get the plain plate for my 6" hand lazer. I am usually finding walkable ice by the time the sports shows start so I prefer to buy now and be ready as soon as the deer is hanging!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: 2017 clam drill plate adaptor
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2017, 04:43 PM »
Welcome to the site!! It's a little early for new ice fishing equipment to be out. All you can do is monitor Clam's website and keep checking back here. One of our members is a Clam rep. (Monticatgeek) and he gets on here once information starts becoming available. It would be helpful if you would update your profile with your location. Thanks in advance!!!!

click on this--- http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=347212.msg3696222#msg3696222

My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2017, 05:23 PM »
Still early but try clam Web site they have stuff for sale on there mfg web site..

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2017, 06:11 PM »
After the start of the Minnesota state fair August 24 th their new line up should be on line.

http://www.mnstatefair.org/interactive/maps/details/?v=694.1
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2017, 06:51 PM »
Anybody hear when these will be back in stock anywhere and if there is any changes to the design vs last year? Last year I know they put out the gear box to add to the plate, I am tempted to buy the package with the auger but cant find anyplace that has them. If they change the design and up the price I will probably just get the plain plate for my 6" hand lazer. I am usually finding walkable ice by the time the sports shows start so I prefer to buy now and be ready as soon as the deer is hanging!

What is you location?

I found one of the early version Clam plates on Craig's list with an older 6" mora auger on it. I got the guy down to $30 for it. The mora was the old screw on handle type and the guy cut the handle off and made an adaptor to the clam plate for it. I've had it bought for a month from the guy with the agreement that when I'm in the area I'd pick it up, and if someone else gets there first he sells it.

I've got the same plate with a 1200in lb Milwaukee and turn 8in lasers, nils, and other augers without the gear box. Taking off the chuck to put the adaptor on and putting on the plate kinda sucks, but a bare tool was $75 So I just bought and leave the drill on it.

If you have a brushless 700in/lb plus drill there is no need for a gear box if you are cutting 8in holes with a nils or mora.

Offline Garrett

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2017, 08:59 PM »
I'm just east of the twin cities in Wisconsin. I have the brushed m18 Milwaukee drill so I will stay 6" or get the gearbox. What I'm really the most anxious about is if they raised the price on their gearbox/8" combo, then I will not buy. If the price gets higher I'll carry around the gas auger when walleye and northern fishing and use my 6" with the standard plate ( if they  offer it again) for panfishing.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2017, 09:30 PM »
I'm just east of the twin cities in Wisconsin. I have the brushed m18 Milwaukee drill so I will stay 6" or get the gearbox. What I'm really the most anxious about is if they raised the price on their gearbox/8" combo, then I will not buy. If the price gets higher I'll carry around the gas auger when walleye and northern fishing and use my 6" with the standard plate ( if they  offer it again) for panfishing.

There is no question it will be higher to offset all the crap ones they replaced last year. What is sad is that clam has got the clam plat and auger setup to about $200 without a drill........At that price a light gas auger can be bought new.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2017, 06:34 AM »
You need to update your profile with your location. I'm getting ready for work, but someone will tell you how to do it!!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2017, 07:05 AM »
one thing I just don't get about the auger kit is that the plate on their website is priced at $69.99. The 6" hand auger is priced at $79.99. But the 2 together are priced at $169.99. Why is the kit $20 more? And who would pay $20 more for it?

Offline Garrett

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 08, 2017, 10:57 AM »
From what I can tell, the kit has the gearbox that cuts the RPMs to the auger in half and comes with the 8" auger. The gearbox increases the torque so you can use the larger auger without burning up your drill. Last year the kit was $169, hopefully it stays the same this year with the updated gearbox.

Last year at Fleet Farm, the plate was ~$60, Gearbox was $69 (an had issues) and then the auger was another $60-100, depending on size, so it is a better deal than buying separate.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2017, 02:00 PM »
on the clam website they have last years kit for $169.99. Just the plate and auger. No gear box mentioned. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong one.

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/augers/drill-auger-conversion-kit-combo.html

They have the 8 in kit with the adapter, but they don't have a price on it.

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/augers/8-drill-auger-conversion-kit-combo-w-hand-auger-geared-adapter.html

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 09, 2017, 10:51 AM »
I would buy the Clam Plate for $70 and an 8" Lazer auger can be purchased for around $90. This way if anything does go wrong, you will have the option to drill the old fashioned way- by hand!
Clam is basically charging $100 for just the auger,

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 09, 2017, 06:38 PM »
I'm extremely happy with my 2nd generation metal gear box from Clam. So far so good.. Works great with an 8, and smokes it with a 6...

Like most, I haven't had a good chance to really test it in 2ft..

<°)))>{

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 10, 2017, 05:09 AM »
I would buy the Clam Plate for $70 and an 8" Lazer auger can be purchased for around $90. This way if anything does go wrong, you will have the option to drill the old fashioned way- by hand!

no, they include the handle for hand drilling if the battery fails. Says it right in the description.

Offline Cfilbert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Aug 10, 2017, 09:30 AM »
Last year I bought the K-Drill 8". I currently have it powered by a M18 Fuel Milwaukee 1/2" Drill.  That thing eats the ice.  I did notice with the extension bar on the drill right at break through of the bottom of ice it would slightly grab.  I wonder if a Clam plate would help this.  The down side is I would have to assemble the drill onto the plate after drilling in my anchors for the portable. 
Is the ice thick enough yet?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 10, 2017, 05:42 PM »

If it were me I would get the 7 inch mora auger for like $15.. then buy the mora to laser blade conversion kit $40.. have it fixed so screws don't strip out of adaptor plate..  I did this my self with a drill press  and a few drill bits along with some nylock nuts and lock washers and new gRade 8 bolts..   the auger I put it on had the offset handLe like a nils it cuts as fast and efortlessly as a nils but cheap to sharpen blades of a laser auger..  put that on the 7 and hook it to the clam plate ...  I like the screwed on handles cause you can find then at  garage sales for like $15 they also sell a adaptor for the screw on handle for the clam plate.. for around $20 last I looked but have seen it sell for as much as $40...  got to remember the 8 has those bars that jam up at bottom of hole and are a plan pain in the arse at the end of the hole to get threw the ice..  that's were the mora is a tad better..  if you ask me.. by the way all adaptors can be found on ebay..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 10, 2017, 09:52 PM »
Personally,

A clam plate/mora IMO is about the best setup. Find a used clam plate, and a used mora you got maybe $50 into the thing. This whole speed thing is just stupid. Your talking a difference of seconds punching holes. plus cheap blades and way to sharpen.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Aug 10, 2017, 11:17 PM »
Personally,

A clam plate/mora IMO is about the best setup. Find a used clam plate, and a used mora you got maybe $50 into the thing. This whole speed thing is just stupid. Your talking a difference of seconds punching holes. plus cheap blades and way to sharpen.

That's about it really, totally agree...

Make a hole, pretty quick, cheap, efficient.. Stops making holes, sharpen her up at the kitchen table with a beer... Done...

Continue, in your spare time read about how somehow, Lazer blades are better, with leftover time read about how nobody has really figured out how to sharpen Lazer blades, and how Nils are so picky to keep in tune also..

Next day, go fishing with your cheap ultra sharp mora, and ponder why anyone would choose different..

<°)))>{

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Aug 11, 2017, 07:54 AM »
I just think some setups like the clam plate,gearbox and nils  auger head or other expensive auger bit,  plus expensive drill just doesn't make sense to me to drill  a hole in the ice.im running a 6 inch mora or 5 inch lazer that I got at a garage sale cheap,a icemaster drill adapter powered by a porter cable drill and get over 40 holes in 6 inches of ice.cheap setup..for the price of a Milwaukee drill,nils head and all the clam box and gear reducer I could get a light gas auger.i do understand the lightweight part tho.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Aug 11, 2017, 06:09 PM »

Make a hole, pretty quick, cheap, efficient.. Stops making holes, sharpen her up at the kitchen table with a beer... Done...

Continue, in your spare time read about how somehow, Lazer blades are better, with leftover time read about how nobody has really figured out how to sharpen Lazer blades, and how Nils are so picky to keep in tune also..

Next day, go fishing with your cheap ultra sharp mora, and ponder why anyone would choose different..

<°)))>{

With a drill and clam plate the mora is all you need but I am drilling buy hand that's why I got the blade adaptor...  argonomsit_at_ia  and ice scratcher  are correct its just a matter of a few secound for a drill... so why not just go garage sale shopping and find a cheap mora to use?? 

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Aug 11, 2017, 07:03 PM »

<°)))>{
Exactly Scratcher!!!! Its that easy!!!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Aug 12, 2017, 07:56 AM »
Well,

One reason is the cover for a mora blows, I had the cover come off my mora a couple times and it cut up a creel bag and some other gear. With the other augers a good solid cover can be bought that stays on.

Here is the reason behind my buys.

8"nils

It was a really good deal from cabelas. The auger flighting goes up higher on this auger then any other hand auger. It is the heaviest built light hand auger. The extension  parts have flighting. The blade head can be adjusted/corrected when sharpening if it gets out of align, where once most hand augers bladed mounts get bent they are junk. It can have a power point head. A good cold snap cover can be put on it to protect the blades. It turns really smooth with a Milwaukee drill. It doesn't bind/catch on the hole bottom like other augers.

Over all it's a great auger, especially for a wheel house. With the power point head the guide poinit will start and cut the hole exactly where a guy puts it. No other hand auger has a guide point that I know of. This is especially nice in a wheel house hole when you want it exactly in the middle, I've had it where a wheel house hole was ontop of some pretty uneven messed up ice and the power point helped you drill where you wanted. Due to the length and adding one extension you can drill holes with the wheel house in the up position through pretty thick ice without having to drop the wheel house. The flighting removes all the shavings so you aren't clearing shavings so you get one nice even steady hole drill. This allows a guy to scout fish out of your wheel house before you drop it down and setup.

6in lazer

Never had a lazer or a 6in. Got it for $20 is Sioux Falls, and it had the good sweeden blades. Works great for fishing in local gravel/barrow pits.

8in Thunder Bay blazer

Was $59 new, had the cutting head blade mount like the synthetic lazer. Due to it being shorter then my nils I would fit in the back of my voyager sled a whole lot nicer, and supplied the 8in hole my 6in strikemaster couldn't

8in Jiffy Jet

Guy gave it to me. It has a shaver blade that is curved. Can be sharpened on a stone or sand paper really easy. Has a good rubber cover that stays on. Over all nicely built.

8in Jiffy model 30.

Was fist power auger I bought, and was before hand augers and electric drill were the thing. Thing is a beast and solid.....,weight sucks balls.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #22 on: Aug 12, 2017, 10:51 PM »
I got notification from Home Depot that they were back in stock 3 months ago.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Aug 13, 2017, 08:12 PM »
Well,

One reason is the cover for a mora blows, I had the cover come off my mora a couple times and it cut up a creel bag and some other gear. With the other augers a good solid cover can be bought that stays on.

Here is the reason behind my buys.

8"nils

It was a really good deal from cabelas. The auger flighting goes up higher on this auger then any other hand auger. It is the heaviest built light hand auger. The extension  parts have flighting. The blade head can be adjusted/corrected when sharpening if it gets out of align, where once most hand augers bladed mounts get bent they are junk. It can have a power point head. A good cold snap cover can be put on it to protect the blades. It turns really smooth with a Milwaukee drill. It doesn't bind/catch on the hole bottom like other augers.

Over all it's a great auger, especially for a wheel house. With the power point head the guide poinit will start and cut the hole exactly where a guy puts it. No other hand auger has a guide point that I know of. This is especially nice in a wheel house hole when you want it exactly in the middle, I've had it where a wheel house hole was ontop of some pretty uneven messed up ice and the power point helped you drill where you wanted. Due to the length and adding one extension you can drill holes with the wheel house in the up position through pretty thick ice without having to drop the wheel house. The flighting removes all the shavings so you aren't clearing shavings so you get one nice even steady hole drill. This allows a guy to scout fish out of your wheel house before you drop it down and setup.

6in lazer

Never had a lazer or a 6in. Got it for $20 is Sioux Falls, and it had the good sweeden blades. Works great for fishing in local gravel/barrow pits.

8in Thunder Bay blazer

Was $59 new, had the cutting head blade mount like the synthetic lazer. Due to it being shorter then my nils I would fit in the back of my voyager sled a whole lot nicer, and supplied the 8in hole my 6in strikemaster couldn't

8in Jiffy Jet

Guy gave it to me. It has a shaver blade that is curved. Can be sharpened on a stone or sand paper really easy. Has a good rubber cover that stays on. Over all nicely built.

8in Jiffy model 30.

Was fist power auger I bought, and was before hand augers and electric drill were the thing. Thing is a beast and solid.....,weight sucks balls.
.  That Jiffy must be the same beast that is for sale on Craigslist:Sioux City. Right?

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Aug 14, 2017, 07:21 AM »
I found a Clam Plate Adapter at Cabelas for $20.  I didn't notice until I got home a part was missing.  I wondered what my options were with the part gone.  I have not toyed with it yet, I just threw it in my sled which is in summer storage buried in a garage.  It looked like my orange Nils 6" might slide up in to it, at least from a diameter stand point.    If not I will need an adapter.  The part missing is the shaft, I circled it in the photo.  I have friends who can mill and machine for me if needed, or if there is something I can buy.  Just the shaft is missing, the mount and bearing is there.

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Aug 14, 2017, 07:49 AM »
The part is circled in WHAT photo??

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Aug 14, 2017, 09:21 AM »
I found a Clam Plate Adapter at Cabelas for $20.  I didn't notice until I got home a part was missing.  I wondered what my options were with the part gone.  I have not toyed with it yet, I just threw it in my sled which is in summer storage buried in a garage.  It looked like my orange Nils 6" might slide up in to it, at least from a diameter stand point.    If not I will need an adapter.  The part missing is the shaft, I circled it in the photo.  I have friends who can mill and machine for me if needed, or if there is something I can buy.  Just the shaft is missing, the mount and bearing is there.

Your Photos missing!! imagur is the only option so far!!  so we don't get hijacked by puke bucket .. for $300 each to host are photos !!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Aug 14, 2017, 09:25 AM »
Royalwapiti does yours have four bolts on it ?like in photo or just two to hold the part you circled in?? If it has four bolts holding the bearing plate In. You can order the clam gear box and up grade it to using that make turning with a drill like as 6 inch much easier.. and same with a 8 inch..

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Aug 14, 2017, 09:36 AM »
I will need to go to my storage garage and look.  it's a couple miles down the road in a storage unit.  I took almost everything out of my garage to de-clutter it in anticipation of house going on on the market.  Moving to IGL or Sioux Falls area.  Hopefully be up there by December.

So basically I check the KLR650 website I go to, i have hundreds of pics shared on that site.  If they aren't hosted then i can dump my account...

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Aug 14, 2017, 03:09 PM »
Yes, there are 4 bolts.  So i can use the gearbox.   the shaft diameter is 5/8", I'll investigate my own adapter as well.  Don't really need the gearbox for a 6", but if i step up to a 8" I might want it.

Looks like my days on Photobucket are done.   Good thing i still have almost all of them on my PC.

Thanks Chilly

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.