Author Topic: Fishing and/or GPS Apps for Smartphones?  (Read 2052 times)

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing and/or GPS Apps for Smartphones?
« on: Aug 04, 2017, 10:07 PM »
Hey folks, anyone use any of the many GPS and fishing apps that are out there? Thinking of trying one out next season to track weather, log/find coordinates, etc....
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fishing and/or GPS Apps for Smartphones?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2017, 11:14 PM »
Navionics

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2017, 03:47 PM »
Which one? I see a bunch of "Navionics" ones....
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2017, 04:16 PM »
Downloaded "fishing points" in the Android play store.  Looks pretty good....

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2017, 04:17 PM »
Will reply back with thoughts once winter returns and I get the chance to try it.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2017, 08:56 AM »
You could also try the "Navionics Boating App" if your looking for lake contours, local weather, etc. Start with there Web app and view the lakes of intrest.
https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@4&key=%7B%7Dg%7DEbjrkT
You find the "Boating" or "BoatingHD" on Google Play for Android and App Store for ISO. HD version is recommended for Tablets but also works well on smart phone. You need 3g or wifi for local weather. If you decide on a tablet make sure the tablet has a GPS chip built in.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2017, 12:32 AM »
I bought my navionics for my g5 iphone ($10 for first year, $5 annually after that).  It sure is fun to play with in the house, especially zooming in and placing stick pins to mark the hot lake trout flats.  Can't wait to try it out on the ice next to my gps that has info from the past decade of fishing the same good spot.
Thread killer

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2017, 08:41 AM »
I have tried alot and Navionics is the only decent way to go , i will be honest i use it as a secondary record keeping when i am walking and scouting without the snowmobile... be aware its a HUGE battery eater running that GPS like that on your phone. 95% of the time i use my standalone Helix 5 GPS mounted on the snowmobile with a lake master chip. The lake master chip is far superior and i transfer my helix 5 back and fourth between the boat and snowmobile. I do however make points in my navionics app when walking and transfer them over to the helix 5 if i do use the app.

I have around ten years of data now, and i fish about 7 lakes pretty regularly and i can now see a consistent trend on time of year and conditions on those lakes that i can use that data to put myself on targeted species fish consistently out of the gate. 

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2017, 03:22 PM »
FYI....You can now get the Lakemaster maps for smartphones, and only buy the lakes you want.  Navionics isn't the only game in town for a smartphone anymore.
Most people consider the Lakemaster superior to Navionics....seeing many of the lakes they surveyed themselves, and many are available in 1' increments.

https://chartselect.humminbird.com/fishsmart

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2017, 04:02 PM »
I agree, lake master is superior, i just downloaded the app and it seems to only have large bodies of waters on it.  I cant find the smaller lakes which is a bug bummer.

I admit i have be known to be technology dense though so i could be missing something.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2017, 05:06 PM »

Google them both up and compare , I like the nav

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #11 on: Sep 25, 2017, 06:18 PM »
Navionics is WAY more affordable.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2017, 09:36 AM »
I already had chartselect maps purchased so fishsmart it is! Plus its way easier to manage my waypoints in fishsmart vs navionics - not to mention navionics doesn't have charts for 99% of the water I fish

Catchin' Fish

Offline OntarioRider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2017, 10:41 AM »
Hey folks, anyone use any of the many GPS and fishing apps that are out there? Thinking of trying one out next season to track weather, log/find coordinates, etc....

I use Navionics boat app for lake contours and I use Weather Underground for current conditions and Storm app (Weather underground as well) for wind direction.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.