Author Topic: Restocking the finesse box  (Read 561 times)

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
Restocking the finesse box
« on: Jul 29, 2017, 10:47 AM »

Over the years I have developed a love/hate relationship with these jigs. Love the way they produce at times and hate how many slab crappies have wiggled off of them due to the extremely small hooks. Make and have made these for years after witnessing panfish on camera pay more attention to tiny split shot on line than my actual lure. Finally sunk in the size is what was appealing to them.

Use these when the bite gets tough or downright off altogether. When mid winter doldrums or heavy fishing pressure slows the bite these seem to produce. To give you idea of size that is a standard 1/16 oz jig in center of each group.The top group is make with caddis beads 1/100 jigs and 1/84 ozs single strand of rubber to give just a tad of movement. All sealed with clear cure goo to give a transparent effect and depth to lure. The bottom group is made with fly hooks, caddis beads and the cure stuff. Top group hangs horizontal bottom group vertical.

Most common way I use these is underneath a standard pinmin or weighted lure. Some days they show a preference for the horizontal other days the vertical. For reasons only known to the picky rascals. I have used in shallow water just the horizontal ones as jigheads they will sink. The vertical one have to have some weigh attached somewhere on line.

As far as colors go size seems to matter more than anything else. I can't think offhand of a color that has not worked. That and don't overwork these little killers. Most of the time the less movement the better. These can be frustrating to make due to the tiny size. Have to be patient and come up with a routine that works for you.
The effort will be well invested if you like catching panfish.

Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Restocking the finesse box
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2017, 08:41 AM »
When can I place an order? Lol. I have to get some of that uv cure goo stuff. I have seen some very nice flies made with it. Just not sure how well mine will turn out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.