Author Topic: Mille Lacs......what's wrong?  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Mille Lacs......what's wrong?
« on: Jul 22, 2017, 10:57 PM »
Can somebody fill me in on Mille lacs?

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mille Lacs......what's wrong?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2017, 07:07 AM »
Some good info here with current regulations, DNR communications, fishing reports, and some commentary.
http://www.lundeens.com/hot.html

Really seems like quite the messy situation.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2017, 08:44 PM »
Wow... Really sad what happens when treaties, politics and greed cross paths with an amazing fishery. I hope they can get some resolution on the situation soon and get back to reasonable limits by ALL while maintaining a sustainable fishery.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2017, 12:52 AM »
I've fished it once about 10yrs ago Ice fishing from fishermans wharf....caught one perch in 3 days......Go figure lol.

I was thinking about trying the lake once again with my wheel house..but it looks to be shut down. I had just talked to a guy from the Mille lacs area last winter at upper red, and he said the lake was great and it was the best he'd had for large fish ever on the lake. So I thought about trying it.

I did did some reading and seen quite a few different views on the issue with the lake. The one I found most compelling and seemed to make the most sense after reading and looking at data was the view of a walleye population being mismanaged with slots, allowing for way to many large fish that have basicly eaten themselves out of food with the baitfish they prey on. Which in turn turned them into predators of their own young walleye. Hence the collapse of the walleye is starting. I also read that the baitfish is extremely low & since the shortage of forage the walleye are skinny.  I've also read the limited forage caused the fishing to actually be pretty good since the walleye are all hunting for such limited food sources and feeding on what they can find.

It will be interesting to see what this next consultant comes up with from the data....sounds like he worked with Lake Erie on the walleye.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2017, 05:45 AM »
I have seen this over on "Walleye Central" site....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2017, 12:16 AM »
I have seen this over on "Walleye Central" site....h2l

really....I was a member there but haven't gon on it for over 9months or so.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.