Author Topic: URGENT - PLEASE READ IF YOU HAVE/USE REFILLABLE PROPANE CYLINDERS!  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Could one of the Moderators make this a sticky please?

YSN Imports (Flame King) Recalls Refillable Propane Cylinders Due to Fire, Explosion Hazards - https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/YSN-Imports-Recalls-Refillable-Propane-Cylinders

More here:  http://www.flameking.com/recall

This could be a matter of life and death to the others like me who switched to these tanks.  I receive a notice from Amazon because that's where I purchased mine, but many were purchased at brick and mortar stores and the owners will not be directly notified.

Thanks,

Mark

DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
i almost switched to those tanks because I thought they would be safer than refilling the throw away cylinders.guess I will  keep my little green ones still.ive refilled for over 10 years without much problems except some leaky valves.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
I almost bought these also last winter.  No injuries yet, just loose connections, according to the manufacturer. 

"The firm has received two reports of the connecting valve starting to unscrew from the cylinder. No injuries have been reported."

Offline KevC

• IceShanty Rookie
Many thanks for the update! I'll stick with my little greenies from WallMart!

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
I bought a 5 pound (1 gallon) tank to use on the ice.  I had a little coleman tank leak into my garage after I filled it myself.  Too scary to risk again.  I live in the country if my garage or any part of my house catches fire it is gone...Costs $4.20 to fill.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
I found a 11# pancake propane tank with a sunflower heater on it at  a garage sale.i saw it had  the outdated valve but I will make a hose to  refill it from my 20 pounder or just get a new style valve and have it recertified.i couldn't pass it up I only paid 5 bucks for tank and heater.lol

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I found a 11# pancake propane tank with a sunflower heater on it at  a garage sale.i saw it had  the outdated valve but I will make a hose to  refill it from my 20 pounder or just get a new style valve and have it recertified.i couldn't pass it up I only paid 5 bucks for tank and heater.lol

Around here it's $28, for the new style valve, installed, and filled... Well worth it when compared to the price of a new tank...

<°)))>{

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Around here it's $28, for the new style valve, installed, and filled... Well worth it when compared to the price of a new tank...

<°)))>{
that's what I was thinking for what I paid, I can afford a new valve and get it recertified.this tank is great being low profile and not like the tall small propane tanks.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!

Can't you just do an exchange?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Theres no 11 pound pancake tanks to exchange around here.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Theres no 11 pound pancake tanks to exchange around here.

Switch it to a 20lb and exchange the 20lb.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Most places that exchange cylinders, are far more expensive than having a 20# filled.. Here it's $12 to fill a 20#...

Same price to fill my two 5#, and a 10#...

So 20lbs= $12

20 green bottles X $4= $80

<°)))>{

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
think I can just unscrew and install a updated valve from a empty 20#tank to the 11# tank? ive got extra 20  lying around here.seems like a simple procedure..some pipe tape and screw the new valve in then have it leak checked and recertified?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
think I can just unscrew and install a updated valve from a empty 20#tank to the 11# tank?

If everything is the same, I don't see why not...

<°)))>{

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
If you do that, you have the likelihood of overfilling.   Maybe the 11 pound tank takes the same as a 20 pound one.   I put a 20 pound valve on a 5 pound tank and it would overfill then shoot raw fuel through my sunflower heater.  Talk about brown spots in your shorts.  Looked around and found a new valve for a 5 pound tank, all is happy now

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.