Author Topic: Please help finding a specialized jig  (Read 2141 times)

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
Please help finding a specialized jig
« on: Jun 26, 2017, 12:02 AM »
Something tells me I'm going to end up making these myself, but I'd really rather not.

I've been limping one jig along for 3 seasons with no spare and no idea where to get another.  It used to be white but now it's unpainted... It catches kokanee out of my local lake one after another, when everything else I've used is ok but just doesn't compare.

It's a 1/16oz gumball jig with a short hook.  The jig is 7/8" long overall, and the hook gap is 1/4".

I've found many 1/16oz's that are 1-1/8" overall - it seems 'standard', they're ok but not as good.

What would be even better, if it could be found, is a 1/8oz or 3/32oz with the same 7/8" length and 1/4" gap.

Thanks for reading!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Please help finding a specialized jig
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2017, 06:07 AM »
Does it look like these:

Of course those are unpainted. I have that particular mold and would keep you in mind next time I pour. Lots of color options too besides white (if you had a mind to). Could add a glitter top coat, glow, plus all the "usual" jig colors. Not sure when I'll be pouring next but for sure before the end of August. Let me know if you're interested...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2017, 12:50 PM »
thank you esox, yes, exactly like those in terms of the lead, although those particular photos look like they have a wider hook gap.

I would absolutely be interested.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2017, 04:40 PM »
Northland fireball jigs? sold at fishusa.com

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2017, 01:09 AM »
just get the do it live bait rig mold

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2017, 05:20 AM »
please post a pic of the jig. Thanks.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2017, 05:50 PM »
please post a pic of the jig. Thanks.

HIMO

Here's what he shared with me. I trimmed it down a bit. Looks to be a standard 1/6 oz ball head with a #4 (or maybe #6) hook.

The #4 hooks I've got are about 7/8" from the 90 degree to the bend. In a standard jig they'd be about an inch even. Even in a live bait mold you still have that nose out front. I'll see if I have any #6 around to see where that might land. The problem is if you go smaller you also lose gap. The hook in the pic also appears to be a very heavy hook, certainly not an Aberdeen/light wire deal.

Live bait mold hooks are only available in 2 sizes (1 and 1/0) but regular jig hooks fit if you're inclined to play. I cast a ton of 1/16 with #2 hooks for walleyes. I like the light weight with the bigger hook for better hookups.

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jul 15, 2017, 12:02 AM »
Thanks for posting the pic Esox, sorry all, I was away camping for a few days.

I've used the tungsten northland fireball to good effect in this same lake and application, but they're a little too light for the depth we find the fish in.  They absolutely hit em, but without my flasher I don't have good feel for the jig, which is vital b/c this is a dynamite destination for kids and rookies.  Funny story - I caught a 5" burbot on one of those once while trying for a whitefish, he was just barely hooked, and boy did he look remorseful!

Those livebait jig heads which filetandrelease posted look very similar to the ones which Esox initially posted, as you can see from the photo they're not really a match, but they would nonetheless be interesting to try.  Having a full 1/4oz to work with for sink rate and flexibility would be great.

The hook thickness/strength is a funny one to comment on.  The reason I'm asking for these is because they're so great at catching kokanee, and I've never seen one out of this lake over 1.5lbs, so really, there'd be no harm in a lighter hook - except - there are also rainbow trout over 10lbs cruising this lake, so that one time I hit on one I'd sure love to have some backbone...  Well - I'm no help...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2017, 10:33 AM »
Thanks for posting the pic Esox, sorry all, I was away camping for a few days.

I've used the tungsten northland fireball to good effect in this same lake and application, but they're a little too light for the depth we find the fish in.  They absolutely hit em, but without my flasher I don't have good feel for the jig, which is vital b/c this is a dynamite destination for kids and rookies.  Funny story - I caught a 5" burbot on one of those once while trying for a whitefish, he was just barely hooked, and boy did he look remorseful!

Those livebait jig heads which filetandrelease posted look very similar to the ones which Esox initially posted, as you can see from the photo they're not really a match, but they would nonetheless be interesting to try.  Having a full 1/4oz to work with for sink rate and flexibility would be great.

The hook thickness/strength is a funny one to comment on.  The reason I'm asking for these is because they're so great at catching kokanee, and I've never seen one out of this lake over 1.5lbs, so really, there'd be no harm in a lighter hook - except - there are also rainbow trout over 10lbs cruising this lake, so that one time I hit on one I'd sure love to have some backbone...  Well - I'm no help...

Look around some more..  I got lead fire ball jig as big as 1 ounce.. with a stinger hook attach point. I got at gander mtn. I think they make the lead version in 1/8 and 1/4 ounce which is a smaller hook.. then the one ounce..

Offline Flatrocker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2017, 12:14 PM »
Northland makes 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2 oz Fireball jigs.
They discontinued the 3/4 & 1 oz sizes.
I bought the larger sizes last year on closeout.
Still the larger sizes in some stores but becoming scarce. Bass Pro has begun selling a short shank in the heavy weights.
Your jig looks to me to have a longer shank than the Fireballs. Lots of talented fishermen out there with molds that I would think you could get a jig made with the hook length and gap you want, if you can't find a commercial jig to your specs. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 18, 2017, 02:11 PM »
OK, hooks showed up today. Looks like a size 4 comes closest to replicating size requirements: .25" gap and about 7/8 end to end in a 1/16 ball collar roundhead like you had. Come to think of it that is the standard size hook for that style jig.

The live bait jig would be size 1 (only two sizes available in those very short shank hooks 1 and 1/0) the regular 4's would fit that mold but only for 1/16 and 1/8. I also have a teardrop mold that calls for a size 1 hook in 1/16 and maybe 1/8 oz but, again, the 4s would work in that also. Once you bump up to 1/4 in any style there's more lead and the need for a bigger hook gap to insure good hookups.

As you can see PB caught up with me  :callcops: They won't even let me download my pics back off of their site.... Good thing I've got 'em in my own storage but I was hoping to keep 'em organized and drop them in someplace else. So no pics.  :%$#!:

Anyway, back OT.... I think it's doable to pour up to an 1/8 and keep your package at or just under an inch. I don't think a little extra hook gap hurts unless your are on very tiny fish with even tinier mouths. I'll pour a few samples and shoot you some pics (somehow  ::) ) and you can decide from there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.