Author Topic: Clam conversion kit.  (Read 5188 times)

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
Clam conversion kit.
« on: Jun 01, 2017, 06:57 AM »
If you have one, what do you think of it for the money. Is clam the only one to make one?

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Clam conversion kit.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2017, 07:07 AM »
I have one.  Paired it with the Milwaukee M18.  I like the kit, works like it says.  Do you need it to pair to an auger - no. I like it because it allows me to operate and hold the auger like my old Jiffy augers.  Also, keeps the drill off the  ice when not in use.  Normally sells around $70, but I got mine on sale at Cabelas for $50.  I don't have the gearbox with mine, its paired with the K Drill.  Clam is not the only one who makes one.  There was a thread early last year here that mentioned that someone was selling one on E Bay.  This model may have had the gearbox. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2017, 07:23 AM »
Thought I saw somewhere you have to take the chuck off the drill?

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2017, 07:42 AM »
The chuck has to come off for the old model of the conversion kit.  New ones are great.

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2017, 08:17 AM »
mine has been great, outside of the gearbox issues that seem to now be resolved. i have yet to use mine with the updated gear-case but with a 6" auger a Milwaukee M18 and the 9.0AH battery i can drill all day long. been out several times with it and drilled 40-50 holes. 

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2017, 08:45 AM »
Thought I saw somewhere you have to take the chuck off the drill?

That was with the older models.  The new model has an extension stem that chucks up to your drill.  Pretty easy to setup now. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2017, 10:19 AM »
The chuck has to come off for the old model of the conversion kit.  New ones are great.

I have the older model which requires chuck removal ...paired with a DeWalt 995 hammer drill and a 6 in SM lazer . Love my plate ...lightweight ..no fumes .

Couple of things to know ...this set up requires a good drill ...no picture hanging drills ... with 4 plus AH batteries or better...also 6 inch (or less) auger drill unit is the recommended size ...also seems that the "Mora" style blades tend to work better than the lazer style .

Do you need the plate ?....in my opinion yes ...it stabilizes ...no twisted wrists ..can rest it on the ice with no worries .
I wish Clam had their act together with the Gear box adaptor this past season ...I would love to have the option to add an 8 in drill unit ...waiting on IS members reviews of the gear box .

If you are  a pan fisherman with a good drill/batteries and have a 6 in hand auger adding a Clam plate to the mix is a great option ..with the cost of the plate between $50-$70 bucks (sales and discounts) it will be one of your best purchases.

this is the video that sold me on the plate

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2017, 11:12 AM »
Haven't seen much on the gear box. Is that something coming out for next season?
Looking at clam site and it only shows gander mountain for sales and that ship has sailed. Guess if you want one you got to wait till October or so.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 2017, 11:36 AM »
Haven't seen much on the gear box. Is that something coming out for next season?

Was out this past 2016/2017 season ...but had issues

This is the complete set up

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/augers/8-drill-auger-conversion-kit-combo-w-hand-auger-geared-adapter.html

Clam also sold the gear box as an add on for existing plates

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/new-for-2016-2017/conversion-kit-gear-box.html

Clam had issues with the gears stripping ...they then recalled them and replace them ...but that didn't happen till season end ....so no real world reviews due to limited ice

good thread with pictures of the updated box ...believe all stamped gears and an aluminum housing .

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=336387.120

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2017, 11:48 AM »
thefishfeeder you should add your location to your profile ...helps with deals and discounts in your area . do you already have a good 1/2 drill with 4 amp hour batteries? Do you have a good 6 in hand auger ? Are you a pan fisherman ? Oh and before I forget if you decide to go with the Clam Plate get the extension ...it brings it up to a height of a gas auger ...your back will love you for it  @) :flex: ;)2

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jun 01, 2017, 02:13 PM »
Got strikemaster auger's. 6in and 8in. Panfisherman plus I like fishing for other fish. Have 1/2 drill. And i'm in Cincinnati ohio

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 2017, 12:49 AM »
Got strikemaster auger's. 6in and 8in. Panfisherman plus I like fishing for other fish. Have 1/2 drill. And i'm in Cincinnati ohio

You can pull a lot of fish through an 6 in hole....so with all you have adding a plate will enhance your outings .If you have any Gander Mtns in your area you may want to take a ride ...maybe a Clam Plate there for a deal ...otherwise you will have to wait till fall ...check with the major retailers.... BPS and Cabelas had some discounts on plates last season.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jun 02, 2017, 05:21 AM »
I have the original clam plate, I couldn't get my chuck off of my drill so I made a simple adapter so I wouldn't have to. The next year they changed the plate to axcept drills with the chuck still on. They work great but they aren't needed to make a drill powered auger but, they do make it a neat package that works very well. I have a beat up old 525 in/lb ridgid drill with 2 4ah batteries and a 6" HT auger. I've drilled holes for me and a couple buddies all day with it and only used up 2 bars on one battery. Didn't even try to keep the battery warm, just kept it out of the snow between holes.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #13 on: Jun 02, 2017, 10:15 AM »
here is a conversion kit with a chain drive gear box. the seller also was making earth auger for it, but said he was retiring from building those.
the cost of this (75$) is great being it has the gear case included for the price of just a handle bar from clam. clam wants that for handle bars and even more for a gear case they quit making.

i don't use any extra handles for my drills. you have to learn how to use them like you would cutting hard wood or steel over head w/o a conversion kit. so standing up and drilling straight down is super easy and all you need is the auxiliary handle that came with your drill. so for using a gear case to use bigger bits like an 8 inch that your drill might not be able to use, then it's a great option to have.

Ice Kicker II New Model ice fishing auger adapter
Totally made in america
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ice-Kicker-II-New-Model-ice-fishing-auger-adapter-/162300652707?hash=item25c9df6ca3:g:INEAAOSw4GVYPOqE

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jun 02, 2017, 01:58 PM »
I bought the Clam plate this year and I love it. I paired it with a M18 hammer drill and an 8" Fin Bore auger. I have (2) 5A batteries, never went through the first battery. I drilled over 40 holes in 18" of ice and still had 3 of 5 bars remaining on the fuel gauge. I was really skeptical about using an 8' auger but it cut through the ice like butter, what a game changer.

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jun 07, 2017, 06:54 AM »
I've looked around and can not find one to purchase.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jun 07, 2017, 07:22 AM »
I bought the Clam plate this year and I love it. I paired it with a M18 hammer drill and an 8" Fin Bore auger. I have (2) 5A batteries, never went through the first battery. I drilled over 40 holes in 18" of ice and still had 3 of 5 bars remaining on the fuel gauge. I was really skeptical about using an 8' auger but it cut through the ice like butter, what a game changer.

I had the same experience with the 5AH batteries, although was only running a 6" auger. I just went to charge my batteries to use the M18 for a home remodel and i was amazed to learn that both batteries had a full charge, even though they were last charged and used mid-March.

Happy to hear that there were no issues running an 8" auger, that's on the upgrade list for the 2017 - 2018 ice season.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jun 08, 2017, 11:59 AM »

Yeah ...I believe they all get sold out during the ice season ...and if you find one in the off season its usually overpriced ..they tend to get sold pretty quick at regular price and quicker at any sale price/discount .

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jun 08, 2017, 12:37 PM »
anyone know the price of just the gear box I can't open the catalog on this computer

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jun 08, 2017, 01:02 PM »
anyone know the price of just the gear box I can't open the catalog on this computer

Clam website doesn't list a price anymore ...believe anywhere from $55 to $79 was the going rate last season .Not sure what price the "NEW and IMPROVED" box will go for this season .

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jun 08, 2017, 02:16 PM »
ok thanks hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jun 08, 2017, 03:05 PM »
ok thanks hardwater diehard

If you are able to locate a Box now its more than likely its the defective one that Clam has recalled and replaced(defective center gear) ...they did not offer the improved/replaced model for retail sale last season...note recall was toward the very end of last season  ...not certain if they are still replacing them ..I would imagine so.. but a quick Email to them would be the way to go .

Offline borg0196

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2018, 10:17 PM »
Anyone purchase the 8" combo? Wondering what the auger is? I have the 6" amd would like an 8" auger. Tried an 8" strikemaster from magnum iii, but is very loose when I thread a bolt through it.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2018, 04:17 AM »
Anyone purchase the 8" combo? Wondering what the auger is? I have the 6" amd would like an 8" auger. Tried an 8" strikemaster from magnum iii, but is very loose when I thread a bolt through it.

A gas auger drill unit will not work ...too heavy.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:47 AM »

I just bought two Clam Plates from Fish307 and they listed 31 in stock. They shipped them the same day I ordered them, $69 each. Not here yet but neither is my Millwakee 2704 drill kit.

I am so done with lugging around the SM Magnum gas auger for the 8-10 holes I drill for myself.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Flatrocker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:05 AM »
Made the switch this year. Mil 2704, plate & 8" K drill.
Like everything about it, all previously covered above.
For me, only test is how it holds up in the years to come. 

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:05 PM »
I love mine to death. I purchased the whole nine yards too. I've got the complete 6" Clam hand drill with an extension. I strongly advise purchasing the extension. Since picking mine up I have drilled through ice and top cover that was thicker than the auger piece itself is long. With the extension you won't be on your knees when drilling through ice over 20" or more thick either. :o :tipup: :tipup: :o
ttt

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:38 AM »
I bought a new Dewalt, Clam plate and K drill in December, 2017..... Really like it so far.,.. ;D

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:19 PM »
I bought the new style several years ago that does not require the chuck to come off.  The plate, while not necessary, is incredibly beneficial.  First it gives you the old school auger feel. Second you can place your setup down on the ice without your drill ever getting near the slush and water potentially ruining the drill you will also be using year round.  Lastly, it keeps your bit from coming out of your drill chuck and falling through the hole you just drilled.  If you go back through the forums on this subject, a few guys have done this.  I believe that is why there is a float at the top of the K-drill.
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:38 PM »
The only real benefit of the Clam plate is the gear reduction box add on they came out with. This takes alot of the strain off the drill.

Personally, i have been simply using the drill with the included side arm for my drilling needs. I have been using it this way for 4 season now and well over 3000 holes. No issues at all.

As for leaving the drill on the ice.. I just start a hole 4-6 in and let the drill stand there till i need it again. This hasnt caused any damage to the blades like it did on the old gas auger with the 30lb motors sitting at the top.

The foam in the pic is simply for transportation purposes,

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.