Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Rod help  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rod help
« on: May 29, 2017, 10:14 PM »
Next season I am wanting to do a lot of fishing in clear lake for Walleye and yellows. Anyone recommend a length of rod I should get?
What do you guys use? Any info would help!

Bryan

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Rod help
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2017, 06:50 AM »
Next season I am wanting to do a lot of fishing in clear lake for Walleye and yellows. Anyone recommend a length of rod I should get?
What do you guys use? Any info would help!

Bryan

You can find a lot of different lengths that can work. 28-30in is what I would use.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2017, 01:35 PM »
Are you fishing inside or outside? What baits are you considering using? What type of reel will you likely have on the rod?

Catchin' Fish

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2017, 06:03 AM »
I would go 28 if you fish in a house, 30 to 32 if you're outside.  I have 2 that are 34.5 and like them as well (putting them in my rod box is more difficult)

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2017, 11:20 PM »
I do mostly fish in a shack. I will look at 28".

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2017, 12:18 AM »

If your going for walleye and yellows. You can do one rod in like a ML type action that works ok for both.

My suggestion would be to check out Adam Bricker......Bricker Custom Rods. He not only makes some sweet looking rods but the attention to detail, quality, and function are above all else. Check it out on face book.

Rod I suggest. Would be  A Bricker micro liner (uses compression blanks to change the blanks out) with two differs blanks. A light blank for yellows and a medium for walleye both 28in. Also micro liner has a sweet hook remover that slips into the handle making it a split grip.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2017, 04:18 PM »

I am late to the party here, but if i am fishing for crappies and yellows on Clear Lake I prefer a Noodle.  I love the feel of the bite and bend in the rod when fighting.  My favorite store bought one is available at Mills much of the time, made by Beaver Dam, the Glass Noodle, available in like 23 and 32".  $20.  About $34 with a Beaver Dam spinning reel that works ok.   If you accidently hook a nice one when panfishing the glass noodle is capable of catching large fish, I pulled  a 4 lb largemouth and 4lb carp out of the ice with mine.  Two of the feistiest fish out there.  My brother and his friend use the 13 Fishing 19" WhiteOut I think it is called when fishing for the yellows up there. 

Obviously you want something heavier for walleyes,but most guys take a few rods with them on the ice.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2017, 09:03 PM »
Thank you for the responses on this guys.

Offline clharris

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2017, 09:49 AM »
No. 8 Tackle. Snitch 29" Quick Action Tip w/Hookset Backbone. I have 4..
C.L. Harris - Iowa

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.