Author Topic: Milwaukee M18 Fuel Torque  (Read 7835 times)

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
Milwaukee M18 Fuel Torque
« on: May 28, 2017, 09:45 AM »
I've used an M18 Milwaukee Fuel (2604-20/725 lbs. torque) with a 6" k-drill and 5" lazer for the past 5 ice seasons with great results. I'm considering upgrading to newer version of M18 Fuel with 1,200 ponds of torque, but am hesitant to spend the extra money if I don't really need it for smaller (5", 6") bit sizes.
I'd like to hear if anyone has made the same upgrade and if you noticed a difference in drill performance and/or longevity.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: Milwaukee M18 Fuel Torque
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 11:03 AM »
I'm kind of confused! If you have been getting great results with what you have and you're happy, why upgrade when what you have is doing such a great job.  ???
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 12:37 PM »
I used the newer (higher torque) M18 this past season.  Loved it.  You want more longevity - get the bigger batteries.  I'm impressed with the cold weather battery performance - never seen anything like it in a lithium battery.  Left my drill, battery and 8" Nils in the back of my pickup for 6 days of weather below 10 F.  Some of it sub-zero.  That thing still drilled holes.  That kind of treatment usually kills a lithium battery.
Vey impressed.

Ols Sailor - it has more to do with want than need.  ;D

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 12:54 PM »
So true, it's more want than need at this point for me. I agree with Old Sailor in that if it ain't broke, why fix it? However, if upgrading to a more powerful drill means greater drill life and more holes, then I'll consider it. Thanks for the feedback, fishforpike!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 02:08 PM »
I have the same setup that u do, and use a 6" lazer and the 5ah batteries and have never had any problems.  I'll stay with what I have until it died, hopefully before I do !!  Lol

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 02:43 PM »
So true, it's more want than need at this point for me. I agree with Old Sailor in that if it ain't broke, why fix it? However, if upgrading to a more powerful drill means greater drill life and more holes, then I'll consider it. Thanks for the feedback, fishforpike!
I figured it was more want than need, but I began thinking that the drill is 5 years old and there have been advances in batteries and it would make sense to upgrade before your existing drill gives you problems! Those 9 ah batteries look to be awesome, but 2 - 5 ah batteries should do the trick!! Let us know what you decide!! Good luck!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2017, 05:36 PM »
Let's not forget that you could always sell the old model to help offset the cost of upgrading.

The upgrade will also allow you to drill larger holes for tip ups with the added benefit of knowing it will still handle the larger bits years later. I understand wanting the best and if you can afford it, go for it! The upgraded drill would be awesome with an 8" Lazer.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2017, 01:33 PM »
Talked me into it. Been looking around and just pulled the trigger on the Milwaukee fuel 18 with 5.0 amp. On sale at home depot and comes with a third battery. Can't wait for ice now.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2017, 01:50 PM »
Talked me into it. Been looking around and just pulled the trigger on the Milwaukee fuel 18 with 5.0 amp. On sale at home depot and comes with a third battery. Can't wait for ice now.
@)  They got a new 9A battery now too.  Don't have one, yet. ;)

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2017, 03:04 PM »
The Milwaukee 9.0 battery is sweet. And at $128.00 right now don't even think about not getting one. This thing drills dozens of holes even through 2+ feet of ice.

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2017, 06:11 PM »
For anyone interested in upgrading to either a M18 Fuel Hammer Drill (2704-20) or 9ah battery, there are really good deals to be had right now on EBay. Last week I got a a new drill for $75 and 9ah battery for $95. I decided to pull the trigger after considering the benefits of going with a higher torque drill and bigger battery.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2017, 06:39 PM »
You got a good deal and will be set for next season!! Be sure you give us a test report after you've had a chance to Swiss cheese some ice!!!  :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 2017, 09:20 PM »
For anyone interested in upgrading to either a M18 Fuel Hammer Drill (2704-20) or 9ah battery, there are really good deals to be had right now on EBay. Last week I got a a new drill for $75 and 9ah battery for $95. I decided to pull the trigger after considering the benefits of going with a higher torque drill and bigger battery.
.                 Is that a Milwaukee battery, or the generic ?   They both work but there is a difference

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jun 05, 2017, 10:56 PM »
It's the Milwaukee battery-came in original packaging.

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jun 06, 2017, 04:50 AM »
I upgraded from the old fuel to the new one. I stalled the old one out useing a 8in lazer. The new one I used a 7in lazer all season with no issues with the clam plate. I really like the plate. As it keeps the drill out of the snow, ice, water. The only thing I wish I had was a cover for it.

I got the newer gear box now I plan on running the 8in again this year.

Here is a video about the knockoff batteries vs the real ones. I posted this already but I'm sure not everyone seen it.
FYI there is cursing in the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E_UJeBoZ14Y

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #15 on: Jun 06, 2017, 07:41 AM »
I upgraded from the old fuel to the new one. I stalled the old one out useing a 8in lazer. The new one I used a 7in lazer all season with no issues with the clam plate. I really like the plate. As it keeps the drill out of the snow, ice, water. The only thing I wish I had was a cover for it.

I got the newer gear box now I plan on running the 8in again this year.

Here is a video about the knockoff batteries vs the real ones. I posted this already but I'm sure not everyone seen it.
FYI there is cursing in the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E_UJeBoZ14Y

Interesting - It's definitely the cold weather performance of my Milauki that impresses me. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jun 06, 2017, 09:17 AM »
It's the Milwaukee battery-came in original packaging.
.           That's a steal !!!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Jun 18, 2017, 12:20 AM »
I've used an M18 Milwaukee Fuel (2604-20/725 lbs. torque) with a 6" k-drill and 5" lazer for the past 5 ice seasons with great results. I'm considering upgrading to newer version of M18 Fuel with 1,200 ponds of torque, but am hesitant to spend the extra money if I don't really need it for smaller (5", 6") bit sizes.
I'd like to hear if anyone has made the same upgrade and if you noticed a difference in drill performance and/or longevity.

I've used that drill with a 6in,7in, & 8in lazer. Also used an 8in nils with it. All I can say is it will turn an 8in and never had a problem. I could tell with an 8in lazer it did work the drill. Moved up to the 1,200 in lb and have drilled through 2.5 foot of ice in my wheel house no problem with the nils. I also have seen a guy who drilled with a 10in nils bit and the 1,200 in lb that was impressive. Can't say you really would gain anything upgrading like I did.

Offline Flatrocker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jun 20, 2017, 10:05 AM »
I am going to go with the 18 Fuel, 2703 or 4.  Need to decide which bit to go with.
Thinking 7" or 8", maybe Lazer?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #19 on: Jun 20, 2017, 11:45 AM »
My M18 2704 drives my 8" Nils, no problem at all.  Very impressive setup.  And that from a guy that is/was an IceGator diehard!  ;)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jun 21, 2017, 10:07 AM »
I am going to go with the 18 Fuel, 2703 or 4.  Need to decide which bit to go with.
Thinking 7" or 8", maybe Lazer?

Lazers drill faster but it takes more torque.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #21 on: Jun 21, 2017, 10:51 AM »
remember you have to add an adapter to use a drill and that adapter could become the weakest link. so lazers are faster cutting and put more load on the moving parts.
the bigger the bit the bigger the issue becomes.

i'd look into what adapter can handle those specs next to help decide on bit size and adapter to buy and brand of bit.

there are photos here of clams plate failure in the shaft that goes into the drills chuck. the metal twisted under load.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jun 21, 2017, 10:53 AM »
i see just about everyone is upgrading. What is the problem with M-18 fuel #2703-22?
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Online ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jun 21, 2017, 02:37 PM »
i purchased the Milwaukee 2702-20 M18 ½" Compact Brushless Hammer last February to run a 6" auger under a clam plate. It was the apple of my eye due to the 1200 lbs of torque. I am hoping to be able to increase to 8" for the upcoming season.

Is there a difference between the 2702 and the 2704 that i didn't consider?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Jun 21, 2017, 03:22 PM »
Lord.......help us!
Another drill thread.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #25 on: Jun 21, 2017, 04:53 PM »
Lord.......help us!
Another drill thread.

Rg

:roflmao: :clap: :roflmao: :clap:

But for the OP I run the 1200lb torque version with my 7" lazer with the clam plate adapter and the thing cuts like butter! The first couple times using it had to get use to it catching at the bottom but a very very slight up lift at the end and it pops right through.... drilled about 50 holes thru a foot of ice this winter on one 5aph batter and it still had juice to get me through half of the next day!

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #26 on: Jun 21, 2017, 07:11 PM »
Lord.......help us!
Another drill thread.

Rg
What do you want?  It's a "boring" time of the year for us icefishers.   @) :P
It's a better topic than why Gander Mountain isn't "giving" their stuff away.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #27 on: Jun 22, 2017, 10:41 AM »
i see just about everyone is upgrading. What is the problem with M-18 fuel #2703-22?

Nothing at all.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #28 on: Jun 22, 2017, 11:37 AM »
Been using a craftsman 19.2v on my 6in nils convertible with no probs at first, but after 2 years it really wore it and the batteries out. So for the 8in Nils convertible I'm getting in October I bought the 2704-22 kit. Picked it up here from a guy on our local classifieds for $140 new, talked him down from $180, couldn't believe he went that low. Next is 9AH battery and I will be selling my 8in SM mag2000. I will be gas free in 2018 and yes RG it is really boring this time of year  ;D
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Jun 22, 2017, 12:29 PM »
I don't think its boring ...lil off season maybe ....maybe not ..as these cordless drill units make bigger and better inroads into our sport inquires will become more streamlined as to what cordless drills shine .I have the Dewalt 995/Clam plate/SM 6" lazer that I have used all last season with great results ...my SM 8" chipper never seen the ice last season. My buddy just picked up a Milwaukee 1200 ft/lbs drill so sure he will be using that paired with his SM 6" lazer ...not sure he will go with the Clam Plate ...but I have encouraged him to do so ... that last grab of ice can twist your wrist something fierce . 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.