The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Missoula, Montana  (Read 5929 times)

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Missoula, Montana
« on: May 10, 2017, 11:53 PM »
My wife & I will be traveling to Montana next month. what is there to go see around Missoula besides Glacier National Park? thanks in advance for  your help.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
Re: Missoula, Montana
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 11:16 AM »
Lots of great trails! Some awesome breweries and great scenic by-ways. Is the plan to go to Glacier? and how long do you have? Montana has a lot of history and hidden gems, should be able to fill your schedule!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 04:20 PM »
I live here - what kinda of attractions are you looking for?

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 11:25 AM »
Lots of great trails! Some awesome breweries and great scenic by-ways. Is the plan to go to Glacier? and how long do you have? Montana has a lot of history and hidden gems, should be able to fill your schedule!

yes Glacier is the plans for one day. we are staying at NinePipes Lodge on Hwy. 93 north of Missoula in Post Creek, Mt. we have 3 days there.
I live here - what kinda of attractions are you looking for?

as far as what we want to see, give me all your ideas and we can sort thru them and check out a few or maybe all of them. thanks for the replies and keep the info coming. we are leaving 1 month fro today and plan to be at NinePipes Lodge from June 20th to the 23rd and then move south to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons.

HIMO

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 03:46 PM »
Kerr Dam
Buffalo Rapids
National Bison Range
Mission Mtns/Lakes
Here are some things too see and do in that area.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 09:16 AM »
Thanks for the info. Keep the ideas coming.

HIMO

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 01:42 PM »
Mcdonald lake is right behind Allentown (Ninepipes lodge). Farmers markets, St. Ignatius Mission is cool, lots of local breweries, Buddah Garden, drive over the Jocko and check out the Seeley area.....

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 10:10 PM »
are there any places I can get some dirt to take home for my grandkids to pan for gold in that area?

HIMO

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 09:33 AM »
On your way south to Yellowstone, you can stop in Virginia City and pick some up... Bunch of garnets mixed in there as well.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 04:52 PM »
Not gold, but several places that you can shake sapphires....

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 09:27 AM »
On your way south to Yellowstone, you can stop in Virginia City and pick some up... Bunch of garnets mixed in there as well.

thats great. we will be spending the nite of june 23 in Ennis. thanks for the info. keep it coming.

HIMO

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 09:28 AM »
Not gold, but several places that you can shake sapphires....

hopefully around the Ennis,MT. area???

HIMO

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 11:21 AM »
Phillipsburgh area, bout an hour from Missoula. Great place to spend a few hours....

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 12:19 AM »
Well you'll love Ennis. We play them in sports too often so I would rather sleep in the dirt!!! but Virginia City is just over the hill and has a bunch of historical significance. I love phillipsburg tho. Neat community awesome brewery (otter water or hay bag ;D my picks) and their kids play for Drummond so no hard feelings there... if I had to pick... the trace amounts of gold in VC plus the history vs historical P-burg and it sapphires... I'd go P-burg. Might be able to hit both tho... then to Yellowstone past quake and hebgen lakes which you can read about and see in my archived posts... watch out for bighorn sheep as you get to Quake. They like to hang right next to the road...

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jun 04, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Well, the countdown has begun. T-Minus 13 days and counting. we leave for Montana on June 17th. we will be staying in Billings on June 19th-20th. Then we will drive to Ninepipes Lodge in Post Creek, Mt and stay there June 20th-23rd. From there we drive to Ennis,Mt and stay one nite June 23rd-24th. I want to see Virginia, Mt & Nevada city,Mt. I have reserved some dirt to bring back home to pan for Garnets but I need a place to get dirt  for gold panning. Any info you guys can give me on stuff to see while at any of these locations will be appreciated. After our stay in Ennis, we head to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. Thanks in advance for any info. If you have phone #'s of any of the places you can suggest, I would appreciate it.

HIMO

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jun 05, 2017, 11:59 AM »
Himo- I'm excited for you to visit the state! Sounds like a good route. Garnets and gold can be found in the dirt you can purchase at three locations in Virginia and Nevada City... The Virginia City Depot, The Nevada City Museum, and The River of Gold Exhibit which is right between the 2. More Garnets than Gold but you can get a bag or two and you're sure to find some of both. I also recommend going to Norris Hot Springs for an afternoon or evening soak. It's about 15 minutes from Ennis. Most weekends now they have live music too, phone # (406) 685-3303. I'm sure you'll be busy when you get to Yellowstone and Teton Parks! But if you want any ideas there I can help. Where are you staying while visiting the parks? I live in West Yellowstone. Fun fact: I also lived on 27th and Layton - American Colony Apts- & my wife worked at the Chancery when we were in college. Take Care

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jun 12, 2017, 10:08 AM »
 Where are you staying while visiting the parks? I live in West Yellowstone.

We are staying at Sportsmans lodge in Ennis.we  arrive there June 23rd.

HIMO

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #17 on: Jun 14, 2017, 03:57 AM »
HIMO may you and your wife have a great trip to Montana and Yellowstone National Park. I have never visited the "Big Sky" state so can not offer ideas for places to visit.
I do have relatives in Casper ,Wyoming and payed Yellowstone a visit back in 1997 . Watching old faithful go off is an exciting experience there also is a group of smaller geysers in the same area. Keep a watch for wild life and be prepared to stop .
Steve

Offline mtjigalo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jun 15, 2017, 02:21 PM »
HIMO. Sounds like a great trip you've got planned out. On your drive up 93 from Missoula to Nine Pipes as you crest the hill between Ravalli and St Ignatius, brace yourself for one of the most amazing views Montana has to offer. Also, since you'll have a few days in the area, I recommend you take a drive down 200 along the Flathead River and stop by Quinn's Hot Springs for a good burger (they've also got a pretty spendy restaurant as well but I stick to the bar side where the prices are lighter).

Offline mtjigalo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jun 15, 2017, 06:15 PM »
Another cool thing to check out in the area is Camas Prairie. Cool flood-features on a scale that sort of blows the mind. There are also some nice paydirt and panning areas in the mountains to the west of that area but you'd sort of need a guide to get to the right spots within your time frame (meaning you don't have a month to just poke around on your own). I'd volunteer my services but I'll be in Idaho while your in this neck of the woods. Anyways, have fun. Look forward to hearing about your trip.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #20 on: Jun 16, 2017, 12:13 AM »
HIMO. Sounds like a great trip you've got planned out. On your drive up 93 from Missoula to Nine Pipes as you crest the hill between Ravalli and St Ignatius, brace yourself for one of the most amazing views Montana has to offer. Also, since you'll have a few days in the area, I recommend you take a drive down 200 along the Flathead River and stop by Quinn's Hot Springs for a good burger (they've also got a pretty spendy restaurant as well but I stick to the bar side where the prices are lighter).

Please forgive my intrusion.     Quinn's Hot Springs is located on HWY 135 which leads north along the Clark Fork River, from St Regis on I-90, to HWY 200.
  HIMO, enjoy!

Tom

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jun 16, 2017, 04:56 AM »
Thanks Tom. We leave tomorrow morning at 6:00 am CST.

HIMO

Offline mtjigalo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jun 16, 2017, 01:27 PM »
Please forgive my intrusion.     Quinn's Hot Springs is located on HWY 135 which leads north along the Clark Fork River, from St Regis on I-90, to HWY 200.
  HIMO, enjoy!

Tom

Thanks Idahogator. It occured to me after I posted but figured 'ah, they'll figure it out'. Drive safe Himo.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #23 on: Jun 16, 2017, 09:24 PM »
HIMO, wishing you shinny side up and between the ditches.      :thumbsup:

Just tryin' to help, mtjigalo.   We must stomp some of the same dirt, in these parts.     ;)2

Offline mtjigalo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jun 17, 2017, 01:26 PM »
I imagine so Idagator. I live a few miles out of Plains the Flathead river, Clark Fork river and Noxon reservoir are my go to spots. Everything is still pretty blown out around here so I'm switching it up and heading over to the Lochsa for a couple days of kayaking. River gauge is showing between 6 and 7 feet which is a great level for whitewater. Have a great weekend.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #25 on: Jun 18, 2017, 12:24 AM »
I imagine so Idagator. I live a few miles out of Plains the Flathead river, Clark Fork river and Noxon reservoir are my go to spots. Everything is still pretty blown out around here so I'm switching it up and heading over to the Lochsa for a couple days of kayaking. River gauge is showing between 6 and 7 feet which is a great level for whitewater. Have a great weekend.

Wow !   Yakin' the Lochsa when it's full.     :clap: :thumbsup:

May the rocks be where you aren't.        :bow:

Offline mtjigalo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jun 19, 2017, 03:19 PM »
Wow !   Yakin' the Lochsa when it's full.     :clap: :thumbsup:

May the rocks be where you aren't.        :bow:

Wow. I'd sort of forgotten how downright awesome that river is. Still a lot of water left in Tom Beal basin as well so this is a big year for sure. Nice thing about the higher flows is that hitting a rock is almost hard to do. The down side to that is that if you miss your roll and have to swim, it's gonna suck.

Offline mtjigalo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jun 19, 2017, 07:17 PM »
Hey HIMO. I reckon your in this area now. If you happen to see this and have an afternoon to kill, I've got a buddy coming up with a raft from Missoula to run the Buffalo from the dam to the bridge. Room for a couple more folks. I'm following him down as a safety boater to pick up the folks who fall out and get them to shore/back to the raft. Last I checked the flow, it was well over 20000 cfs which means some of the biggest and funnest wave trains you'll ever see. Also, the float itself is awesome. PM me if you see this in time.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #28 on: Jun 20, 2017, 06:33 PM »
@mtjigalo pretty generous offer  :)

Offline mtjigalo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jun 21, 2017, 01:37 AM »
@missoulafish. Yeah, I wish they (Himo and his family) could have hooked up with us today. I thought about driving around the 93 side and stopping by the lodge to look for Wisco plates but was short on time so took the Hot Springs cutoff to buffalo bridge. Great day. I busted out my old wavesport x kayak and realized that it's still probably the best river runner/play boat ever made (in my opinion).

edit: Lol. I just scrolled back up and read my previous post. Sort of makes that stretch of river sound a little meaner than it is. It's just fun class 3 with a couple spots here and there that you don't want to be. The best parts of the float are the scenery, the truly impressive wave trains and the big pool at the bottom of the last rapid (buffalo). Anyone who hasn't run a boat down that stretch is missing out. Do it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.