Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel

Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | KTP | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird | AcmeTackle
Jul 21, 2017, 02:41 AM

Fly the Team Iceshanty Flag! Iceshanty Proshop

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?
The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Missoula, Montana  (Read 1382 times)

HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

• GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Missoula, Montana
« on: May 10, 2017, 10:53 PM »
My wife & I will be traveling to Montana next month. what is there to go see around Missoula besides Glacier National Park? thanks in advance for  your help.

HIMO
  MY TWO FAVORITE HATS. PACKERS & GOATBOYS !!!

BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict

• C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hpē FySh <]))}{
Re: Missoula, Montana
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 10:16 AM »
Lots of great trails! Some awesome breweries and great scenic by-ways. Is the plan to go to Glacier? and how long do you have? Montana has a lot of history and hidden gems, should be able to fill your schedule!

missoulafish

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• TēM HPē FSh
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 03:20 PM »
I live here - what kinda of attractions are you looking for?

HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 10:25 AM »
Lots of great trails! Some awesome breweries and great scenic by-ways. Is the plan to go to Glacier? and how long do you have? Montana has a lot of history and hidden gems, should be able to fill your schedule!

yes Glacier is the plans for one day. we are staying at NinePipes Lodge on Hwy. 93 north of Missoula in Post Creek, Mt. we have 3 days there.
I live here - what kinda of attractions are you looking for?

as far as what we want to see, give me all your ideas and we can sort thru them and check out a few or maybe all of them. thanks for the replies and keep the info coming. we are leaving 1 month fro today and plan to be at NinePipes Lodge from June 20th to the 23rd and then move south to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons.

HIMO

G fish

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 02:46 PM »
Kerr Dam
Buffalo Rapids
National Bison Range
Mission Mtns/Lakes
Here are some things too see and do in that area.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 08:16 AM »
Thanks for the info. Keep the ideas coming.

HIMO

missoulafish

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• TēM HPē FSh
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 12:42 PM »
Mcdonald lake is right behind Allentown (Ninepipes lodge). Farmers markets, St. Ignatius Mission is cool, lots of local breweries, Buddah Garden, drive over the Jocko and check out the Seeley area.....

HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 09:10 PM »
are there any places I can get some dirt to take home for my grandkids to pan for gold in that area?

HIMO

BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 08:33 AM »
On your way south to Yellowstone, you can stop in Virginia City and pick some up... Bunch of garnets mixed in there as well.

missoulafish

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• TēM HPē FSh
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 03:52 PM »
Not gold, but several places that you can shake sapphires....

HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 08:27 AM »
On your way south to Yellowstone, you can stop in Virginia City and pick some up... Bunch of garnets mixed in there as well.

thats great. we will be spending the nite of june 23 in Ennis. thanks for the info. keep it coming.

HIMO

HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 08:28 AM »
Not gold, but several places that you can shake sapphires....

hopefully around the Ennis,MT. area???

HIMO

missoulafish

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• TēM HPē FSh
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 10:21 AM »
Phillipsburgh area, bout an hour from Missoula. Great place to spend a few hours....

BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 11:19 PM »
Well you'll love Ennis. We play them in sports too often so I would rather sleep in the dirt!!! but Virginia City is just over the hill and has a bunch of historical significance. I love phillipsburg tho. Neat community awesome brewery (otter water or hay bag ;D my picks) and their kids play for Drummond so no hard feelings there... if I had to pick... the trace amounts of gold in VC plus the history vs historical P-burg and it sapphires... I'd go P-burg. Might be able to hit both tho... then to Yellowstone past quake and hebgen lakes which you can read about and see in my archived posts... watch out for bighorn sheep as you get to Quake. They like to hang right next to the road...

HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #14 on: Jun 04, 2017, 04:01 PM »
Well, the countdown has begun. T-Minus 13 days and counting. we leave for Montana on June 17th. we will be staying in Billings on June 19th-20th. Then we will drive to Ninepipes Lodge in Post Creek, Mt and stay there June 20th-23rd. From there we drive to Ennis,Mt and stay one nite June 23rd-24th. I want to see Virginia, Mt & Nevada city,Mt. I have reserved some dirt to bring back home to pan for Garnets but I need a place to get dirt  for gold panning. Any info you guys can give me on stuff to see while at any of these locations will be appreciated. After our stay in Ennis, we head to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. Thanks in advance for any info. If you have phone #'s of any of the places you can suggest, I would appreciate it.

HIMO

BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #15 on: Jun 05, 2017, 10:59 AM »
Himo- I'm excited for you to visit the state! Sounds like a good route. Garnets and gold can be found in the dirt you can purchase at three locations in Virginia and Nevada City... The Virginia City Depot, The Nevada City Museum, and The River of Gold Exhibit which is right between the 2. More Garnets than Gold but you can get a bag or two and you're sure to find some of both. I also recommend going to Norris Hot Springs for an afternoon or evening soak. It's about 15 minutes from Ennis. Most weekends now they have live music too, phone # (406) 685-3303. I'm sure you'll be busy when you get to Yellowstone and Teton Parks! But if you want any ideas there I can help. Where are you staying while visiting the parks? I live in West Yellowstone. Fun fact: I also lived on 27th and Layton - American Colony Apts- & my wife worked at the Chancery when we were in college. Take Care

HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #16 on: Jun 12, 2017, 09:08 AM »
 Where are you staying while visiting the parks? I live in West Yellowstone.

We are staying at Sportsmans lodge in Ennis.we  arrive there June 23rd.

HIMO

mr.clean

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• new windsor,ny.
« Reply #17 on: Jun 14, 2017, 02:57 AM »
HIMO may you and your wife have a great trip to Montana and Yellowstone National Park. I have never visited the "Big Sky" state so can not offer ideas for places to visit.
I do have relatives in Casper ,Wyoming and payed Yellowstone a visit back in 1997 . Watching old faithful go off is an exciting experience there also is a group of smaller geysers in the same area. Keep a watch for wild life and be prepared to stop .
Steve

mtjigalo

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #18 on: Jun 15, 2017, 01:21 PM »
HIMO. Sounds like a great trip you've got planned out. On your drive up 93 from Missoula to Nine Pipes as you crest the hill between Ravalli and St Ignatius, brace yourself for one of the most amazing views Montana has to offer. Also, since you'll have a few days in the area, I recommend you take a drive down 200 along the Flathead River and stop by Quinn's Hot Springs for a good burger (they've also got a pretty spendy restaurant as well but I stick to the bar side where the prices are lighter).

mtjigalo

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #19 on: Jun 15, 2017, 05:15 PM »
Another cool thing to check out in the area is Camas Prairie. Cool flood-features on a scale that sort of blows the mind. There are also some nice paydirt and panning areas in the mountains to the west of that area but you'd sort of need a guide to get to the right spots within your time frame (meaning you don't have a month to just poke around on your own). I'd volunteer my services but I'll be in Idaho while your in this neck of the woods. Anyways, have fun. Look forward to hearing about your trip.

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird AcmeTackle
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved