The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: >> Off - Season Thread <<  (Read 36864 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: >> Off - Season Thread <<
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2017, 01:33 AM »
Ditto Missoulafish's comment . Nice photos  a question when you find antlers still attached to the skull is that from a mountain lion or bear killing the deer or elk.
Steve

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2017, 10:15 AM »
Could be... but Bear are a mainly scavengers and will prey more on elk calves than an adult. A big lion could take a bull elk down... better chance in later winter with more fatigued animals, they go after deer more than elk really. Wolves would more likely be the predator I could imagine killing this elk,... they are built specifically for it, do it more often, and are good at it! Where I found that guy was really thick with dead fall, could've been a tree! But ultimately it was more likely just a winter kill,... Winters can be brutal here. And these bull elk have a tough time of it, many of them remain in the high(er) country all year. Stick to some of the heavier timbered areas for cover and that snow will wear any beast down... Half of the fun of exploring the mountains and finding these things for me is trying to play detective afterward... This time I was about 3 years too late to have any solid evidence of how this 6x6 met his end.

Mfish- We all know you have some fish pics to share... Any shrooms yet?... Are you posting them all on MFF?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2017, 10:56 AM »
also, always the possibility that someone lost that bull. It sucks, but it happens. hopefully he just dies after a happy life of making lots of little elk loL!!!
Oh man, the mushrooms are rocking. There hasn't been a spring like this for 15 years-ish. Hopping to get out tomorrow and poke around, been too busy. I see a bit of warm weather coming that should make them jump out of the ground again:0) This is one of those years everyone is a mushroom picker, because the conditions are soo good!!

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2017, 02:32 PM »
also, always the possibility that someone lost that bull. It sucks, but it happens. hopefully he just dies after a happy life of making lots of little elk loL!!!
^^^
Exactly, a real good possibility actually... I like the optimism tho!

Nice shots, hope to get some nice weather here too and go on the shroom hunt... Spring doesn't get sprung around here until everyone else is halfway through it seems, but when it hits the shrooms grow quick! Its a great family activity. I let the 4yr old carry a toy gun while we are out... it keeps him interested. I teach small bits of gun safety, it helps make some noise to let those bears know we're coming, and he gets to set his sites on some squirrels, grouse, and the occasional curious deer! One of his life goals is to "boom" a deer with his dad... it's one of mine too! ;D

Good luck out there!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2017, 03:52 PM »
Looks like this thread was a great idea after all. I'm just loving what's being posted.

Excellent, excellent photos everyone.....Thanks a bunch for sharing & contributing to the thread !!

@ Kyle - Amazing pics sir.....Shed hunting has treated you well this year.....Nice work !!

@ mfish - Amazing pics to you as well sir.....I see you never stop catching fish lol.....Job well done !!

Unfortunately, I have no pics to share. I ended up with a 48 hour stomach bug last week on my days off, so the only thing I got a view of was that piece of porcelain in the bathroom - LOL. Just received a Winter Storm Watch alert on my phone for tonight thru Thursday morning. Looking like up to 5" of snow here, 6" - 12" for G'Town Lake/area passes & up to 2 feet for higher elevations. I do hope that when it finally starts warming up that it does so gradually. If not, western Montana will be in for some severe flooding from this years snowpack. Made my last post knee surgery visit to the doctor this morning. Meniscus has healed up well, so now I'm just dealing with the pain of a little arthritis & complete lack of cartilage on the inner leg side of the knee. Definitely doing better tho & getting around pretty darn good. Doctor says, "Just remember.....You're turning 50 this year, not 25 !!" Like I need to be reminded, I'm feeling it everyday - LOL. 

Keep the posts/pics coming & take care everyone !!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2017, 04:41 PM »
@kyle - looking forward to that pic of the deer:0)
@wayne - i dont think winter is ever going to end!!!! Get healed so we can fish next winter!!!!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2017, 10:44 PM »
@ Mike - True that on winter never ending. Looking forward to hitting the hardwater with ya next season.....It's been awhile !!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2017, 04:25 PM »

;D

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2017, 05:51 PM »
road shedfirst match set. fun weekend hiking and shed hunting lots of cool things going on in the wilderness.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2017, 06:35 PM »
Great pics Will!!!

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2017, 09:08 PM »
Nice Mike!- Those are some sweet bunches. Don't see em around here like that!

G- I like it! Nice haul. Checked em all off the list too!
Road shed- x
Matched set- x
Mossy shed- x
Broken tine- x
Year old white- x
Brown shed- x!

My wife loves hunting shrooms. I try to explain how cool sheds are!!,... she loves hunting shrooms...  Awesome way to spend family time!

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2017, 09:50 PM »
thanks Mike my dad used to put them fungus in my spaghetti  dinner and I  never new but still cant quite eat any type of them, no the taste and value of them so good find.
 Kyle love the egg find think I would of told them a dino egg just to get a rise, stump town is cool and also good structure  to remember for high water. right!!
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2017, 11:07 AM »
Tried some skull dipping again...

A little better results...  :)

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2017, 03:45 PM »
Looks good Kyle I keep meaning to try my hand at dipping

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2017, 06:06 PM »
fishing tell the cows come home.
the water was just the right temp they where hungry no size fun to catch good day.had a couple double to top it off. fishing the rain never will never hurt ya.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2017, 06:10 PM »
forgot the bullhead
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2017, 07:43 AM »
Thank you everyone for the new photos posted since my last visit to this thread.
Steve

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2017, 09:04 AM »
Kyle do you use warm or cold water

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2017, 10:31 AM »
Cold- I fill a Rubbermaid tote with cold water and that seems to work pretty good. The tote will forever have paint around the water level and some sinks after you brush the excess away, so don't use one that the Mrs. stores nice things in! Guess you could clean it off it you cared to. Other than that its pretty mess free. I hang mine after to help the water drain and give it a good shake every so often for the same reason. Don't freak out if it doesn't work the way you hoped either, you can always repaint and redip...

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2017, 11:46 AM »
Thanks seemed to get mixed answers on the little googling I did

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2017, 03:50 PM »
Wow.....Been working past few days.....pop in for a peek & all these great pics posted.

@ Mike - Looks like you found Shroomville !!

@ G fish - Nice mess of sheds & fish.....You & the family are definitely making use of your free time....."Fishing until the cows come home" LOL.....Love the bullhead pic !!

@ Kyle - Really digging the hydro-dipped skulls.....The silver/black one is my favorite.....Nice work !!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2017, 06:09 PM »
The daughter & I got out today for some fishing (had 1 bite is all), a little hike & generally just did a bit of exploring. What a beautiful day !! On the way home we spotted a black bear sow with two itty bitty cubs. They were about a 1/4 mile away in a ravine. Mom was feasting on grass & the little ones were just playing around. What a hoot.....very cool to see !! We watched them for roughly 40 minutes. We both tried taking some pics, but the smartphones just wouldn't pick them up that far away. Oh well, great day spent in the outdoors !!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2017, 08:36 PM »
Great pics Spitz!
We cleaned house on the shrooms today ;D

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2017, 02:55 AM »
Thanks Mike !!

Just curious.....What exactly do you do with all the shrooms you pick ??

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2017, 11:21 AM »
lots of them get just saute'd with butter, lots get dried for later and I think im going to stuff a bunch:)

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2017, 12:05 AM »
Sweet pics Spitz. Nice to get out in the sun and nature. Still no shrooms here Mike... if the sun would ever f-Ing shine that would help. Lots of moisture just no warmth! Don't care,... going bear/ shed hunting with the oldest tomorrow, f-Ing rain or shine... got my honey dos done enough! Please be nice out, please!!

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2017, 05:38 PM »
sad that I'm going to have to get a permit for the old sundolphin flathead sunrise weekend at the cabin nice to get away. from Zoo town.
Spitz think that I could have cooled down in one of those pools today too hot for me.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2017, 10:02 AM »
Mmmmm cocktails! Nice weekend retreat G! Now that's livin  @)....

Here's a rundown of this last weekend/week for my crew...

Bear Hunting went...

Shed hunting not as crappy...

... but no freshies that the tree rats hadn't found first!

At least we got out! and it didn't f-Ing rain!!

Still no Morels, but we did find...
another egg! (and maybe had a samsqwatch sighting)

and a real nice Matsutake mushroom...

Crazy taste to these shrooms... apparently worth a lot in Japan  :-\

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2017, 02:41 AM »
@ G fish - Great pics.....The Flathead sunrise is just beautiful.....Those pools would have cooled ya down for sure.....Daughter waded out in that lake past her waist & she was absolutely freezing after she got out.....She had to go warm up in the truck.

@ Kyle - Looks like the outdoors is treating you well.....Sheds & shrooms.....Can't beat that.....It sure is nice to just get out after the long winter.....Shake the cabin fever off & enjoy some nicer weather.....Bring on summer !!

I got off work & loaded up the 5th-wheel for the first camping trip of the year. Headed out bright n' early in the morning & plan on staying out for 6 nights. Looks like the weather is actually going to be favorable too. I'm feeling the need for speed & I'm so looking forward to racking up some miles in the Maverick as I haven't driven it in almost 8 months. I should have quite a few pics to share come next Thursday. Until then, everyone stay safe & enjoy the holiday weekend !!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2017, 07:44 AM »
G fish nice photos I especially like the one with clouds refelecting off of lake.
BackCountry Kyle since I'm not a hunter curious why your state and a few others have a spring bear hunting season does it not cause a few cubs to be orphaned when their mothers get killed. Also what do you do with all the shed antlers ? To you and all the other mushroom gatherers be careful as I'm sure you know some varieties are highly poisonous and look similar to nonpoisonous types.

Thank you for taking the time to post your photos gentlemen.  SpitzoMT have a good trip.
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.