Author Topic: Ugly Weather Perch Fishing Jumbos  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ugly Weather Perch Fishing Jumbos
« on: Apr 11, 2017, 08:41 PM »

I was abandoned by my Alberta buddies the last day fishing for Jumbos.  The last day on the ice was some of the harshest conditions out there.  Wind, rain, sleet, snow, white out conditions and soaked to the bone.  Nothing was going to stop me from putting a few slob perch on the ice though.  Just goes to show what you can do on two feet and a whole lot of hole hopping on a slow day of fishing.  Perseverance always pays off even when the fish are not cooperating.  Sorry for the wind noise and periods of time where I'm almost completely muted by the wind.  Hope you enjoy the action on some great fish.

THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Ugly Weather Perch Fishing Jumbos
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2017, 09:52 AM »
Still ice fishing! Ran out of ice 2.5 months ago. Good Job!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2017, 07:56 PM »
Still ice fishing! Ran out of ice 2.5 months ago. Good Job!

This was back in February, just getting around to posting.  Up here in British Columbia guys are still ice fishing.  On the news there was a report of 2 ice fishermen missing... so probably getting close to the end.  I'm going to see if I can get out next week.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2017, 08:20 PM »
sweet! tried to do cascade this winter but storms caused me to wimp out. Gonna try again next year!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2017, 09:48 PM »
A true die hard ice fisherman in those brutal conditions. Always enjoy watching your videos.keep up the good work.
born to fish---forced to work

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2017, 12:37 AM »
sweet! tried to do cascade this winter but storms caused me to wimp out. Gonna try again next year!

Yeah it has some gnarly winter storms move through but then you get some really nice days in between!  Give it a shot.

A true die hard ice fisherman in those brutal conditions. Always enjoy watching your videos.keep up the good work.

Thanks... I don't drive 10 hours to sit on the shore though, haha!  Thanks for watching, glad you like them.

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2017, 01:54 PM »
nice slobs
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline Lastdollar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GOTTA LOVE IT
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2017, 02:52 PM »
Now there is a great meal.... nice jumbos.....
Brock

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 03:22 PM »
Brandon thank you for posting a video link to another one of your fishing trips. You are a true diehard to be fishing with out a shelter of some type in those conditions. How did you maintain function of your fingers/hands in that weather without wearing some type of gloves/mittens. I guess you Alberta Boys are used to colder temperature and low wind chills. Congratulations on sticking it out and catching those beautiful perch.
Steve

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 04:09 PM »
Brandon thank you for posting a video link to another one of your fishing trips. You are a true diehard to be fishing with out a shelter of some type in those conditions. How did you maintain function of your fingers/hands in that weather without wearing some type of gloves/mittens. I guess you Alberta Boys are used to colder temperature and low wind chills. Congratulations on sticking it out and catching those beautiful perch.
Steve

Thanks... yeah I think I'm conditioned after growing up in Alberta since I was walking.  I really don't like wearing gloves and I'll be out there fishing in -30C if I can without gloves.  The wind is what kills you though cause it drains the heat so fast.  On those days have to keep one hand in a pocket and switch back and forth.  But actually even though it was brutal conditions out there in the video the temp was probably right around freezing so a lot warmer than I'm used to.  I was actually soaked right through my jacket and ski pant through my jeans and long jons.  I was cold by the end of the day... but I've been colder haha.  I love the great outdoors, thanks for watching!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 04:45 PM »
Your welcome Brandon , just watched your Lesser Slave Lake walleye video nice shanty you got to use on that trip. Watching the fish on big screen could get addictive shanty needs more holes so you don't have to play musical chairs. They call it Lesser Slave still looks like a large body of water to me.
Steve

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 06:10 PM »
Your welcome Brandon , just watched your Lesser Slave Lake walleye video nice shanty you got to use on that trip. Watching the fish on big screen could get addictive shanty needs more holes so you don't have to play musical chairs. They call it Lesser Slave still looks like a large body of water to me.
Steve

That is a pretty sweet shack, my buddy builds them and rents them out there on the lake.  Lesser Slave Lake is the biggest lake completely in the province Alberta.  Probably 100 km long, its big.  They just call it Lesser Slave Lake because in Northern Canada there is a Great Slave Lake, and that's a huge lake.   

Yeah there are probably spots to drill 6 holes in the floor of that shack, but the ice was super thick and with extension was barely cutting it.  I was drilling outside and I told my buddy to open the shack holes up... while I was punching 30 holes outside he opened two in the shack.  One for the camera and one for a rod.  I guess he wanted to get fishing.  Oh well it was fun with the combat fishing element to it.

Thanks for watching.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 06:28 PM »
They're really nice fish, congratulations.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 10:01 PM »
Very scrumptious looking slobs !!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 08:00 AM »
Thank you for the geography lesson , if I remember 1 km is equal to 2.2 miles so 45.5 miles long. A member by screen name of Drifter 016 lives in Yellow Knife,NWT. he is currently building a cabin on one of Great Slave Lake's island (look for Energizer Bunny thread) thanks to his posts some with photos I have some knowledge of Great Slave.
Steve

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 08:20 AM »
Thank you for the geography lesson , if I remember 1 km is equal to 2.2 miles so 45.5 miles long. A member by screen name of Drifter 016 lives in Yellow Knife,NWT. he is currently building a cabin on one of Great Slave Lake's island (look for Energizer Bunny thread) thanks to his posts some with photos I have some knowledge of Great Slave.
Steve

I think you're thinking of the weight conversion Steve.  1 Kilogram equals 2.2046 pounds.  1 kilometer is .621 miles so the lake is ~ 62 miles long. 
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 08:31 AM »
Deal Ninja you are correct sir, I studied and learned about the Metric system back in 7TH or 8TH grade it was supposed to replace the U.S. system  for weight and length measurement. As you know that never happened just like how the U.S. uses different scale for measuring temperature then Canada. It is over forty years ago when I was studying this stuff guess my memory is slipping. ;D :whistle: At 62 miles long  Lesser Slave Lake is an enormous body of water.
Steve

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 12:01 PM »
Deal Ninja you are correct sir, I studied and learned about the Metric system back in 7TH or 8TH grade it was supposed to replace the U.S. system  for weight and length measurement. As you know that never happened just like how the U.S. uses different scale for measuring temperature then Canada. It is over forty ago when I was studying this stuff guess my memory is slipping. ;D :whistle: At 62 miles long  Lesser Slave Lake is an enormous body of water.
Steve

Yeah its big, many boat launches and campgrounds around it.  Great slave on the other hand just measured on google earth.  270 miles long and 147 miles across at widest and longest spots.  I'd love to fish up there some day.  It's got some big old lake trout in their. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.