The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: 34 year old eagle  (Read 853 times)

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
34 year old eagle
« on: Apr 10, 2017, 06:07 PM »
Warden Rescues Oldest Eagle Ever Documented In Maine — Nearly 34 Years Old!
April 10, 2017 at 4:06 pm by Mark Latti

Game Warden Joe McBrine handles the oldest eagle ever documented in Maine, which is nearly 34 years old.
The resurgence of the bald eagle is one of the department’s more remarkable conservation success stories.
In the early 70’s, bald eagles were endangered and there were less than 30 nesting pairs in Maine. Eagles now are no longer endangered, and it is estimated there are over 900 nesting pairs in Maine.
Every once in a while, we are reminded of both the effort it took to restore the eagle population, as well as the resilience of the bald eagle.
Just last Friday, Maine Game Warden Joe McBrine, who covers a portion of the Downeast area, got a call concerning an injured bald eagle in Trescott TWP.
McBrine, who was at a career fair at the time, asked US Fish and Wildlife Service Officeer Amanda Hardaswick to assist him with the eagle. With a wing span of up to seven feet, bald eagles can be difficult to handle.
With the help of local lobsterman Wayne Jones, McBrine located the eagle along the harbor shore, and McBrine was able to walk right up to it and capture it without any struggle by the eagle.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 34 year old eagle
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2017, 09:35 PM »
She's a tough cookie. Surprised she let ol Joe take it. But an eagle that's older than me. Pretty cool. Always had them nesting on the side of Rt 1 just out of town. And a pair that set up shop right above the 7th green at the country club in calais.
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2017, 04:46 PM »
I saw that on the news, tough old bird. I'm glad that they are on the come back.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2017, 04:59 PM »
They are coming back strong. Cause some Ice fishermen feed them healthy Brain food.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2017, 09:50 AM »
That's really neat. Thanks for sharing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.