The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: O/T Shoulder injury  (Read 4365 times)

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
O/T Shoulder injury
« on: Apr 05, 2017, 01:01 AM »
Settting up waiting for happy pill to kick in, Been a month since I had a 300 pound truck tire fall 3 feet onto my shoulder while I was laying flat on my back. Going to doctors Thursday , They have got to figure out something. Pain is getting the best of me, plus I cant work.  >:(
Is it ice time yet???

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
Re: O/T Shoulder injury
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2017, 02:55 AM »
Those pills wont help you they will get you hooked.
I tore all the tendons from the left shoulder bone and ripped my chest muscle wide open in January of 2014. I felt like a dog that had been run over. After the MRI they immediately scheduled my surgery at St Joes in Bangor. Dr Morse at Downeast Orthopedics did the surgery and he told me this summer during a visit that I was " worst case scenario ." They almost had to saw my old shoulder out and replace it.
This winter I just got so I can run an ice auger without ripping my shoulder apart. I am so full of pins and permanent sutures I look like a baseball inside. Slow going and easy does it for me now, no heavy lifting, no risky stuff for me.
Good luck man, see Dr Morse in Bangor and he will fix you up. Oh yeah it was a $36,000.00 surgery plus a year out of work for me. Good luck!
Those pills will kill you.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2017, 06:22 AM »
Shoulders are a bear.  Good luck, Ron!  I had a situation similar to Grub's in my right casting shoulder in 2007.  Major falls and grinding away over time did it in.  The surgery and recovery were long and really continue to this day. It will never be "right", but the pain is in check and I can still cast decently. And I always say....at least I didn't get it from someone shooting at me in a pile of sand somewhere overseas.

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2017, 06:33 AM »
Those pills wont help you they will get you hooked.
I tore all the tendons from the left shoulder bone and ripped my chest muscle wide open in January of 2014. I felt like a dog that had been run over. After the MRI they immediately scheduled my surgery at St Joes in Bangor. Dr Morse at Downeast Orthopedics did the surgery and he told me this summer during a visit that I was " worst case scenario ." They almost had to saw my old shoulder out and replace it.
This winter I just got so I can run an ice auger without ripping my shoulder apart. I am so full of pins and permanent sutures I look like a baseball inside. Slow going and easy does it for me now, no heavy lifting, no risky stuff for me.
Good luck man, see Dr Morse in Bangor and he will fix you up. Oh yeah it was a $36,000.00 surgery plus a year out of work for me. Good luck!
Those pills will kill you.
I can promise you one thing, those pills wont get me. I have been around a lot worse stuff and never got hooked. Hopefully I can get some answers tomorrow. I have no way to take 6 months or year off. It would bankrupt me. Today I'm on prescription strength naproxen. Helps during day.
Is it ice time yet???

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2017, 01:01 PM »
Sorry to hear that news Ron.  As much as you hate being down, if you don't get it corrected, you may lose the use of it permanently & that's a real long financial loss.  ::)
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2017, 10:05 PM »
Here's the deal,you may have did yourself more harm by not dealing with it sooner.I busted my left shoulder 5 years ago,I just recovered from a back injury ( missed 11 months of work),worked 6 weeks,when I injured the shoulder.Not wishing to miss more work,I did my best to hide my injury untill it finally became unbearable.
    7 weeks after the injury,I went to the doc,I had a global tear of the rotor cuff,the cuff had retracted and dried,making it unusable.By the time I found a doc who was willing to work on it,8 more weeks had passed.The doc and therapist could only get me back to 65% use of the shoulder ( motion ) and 40% strength.
   This injury plus back surgery retired me at 50, my point is,shoulders are very complicated with a lot of moving parts,they are also the most painful to deal with.If you have a severely torn rotor cuff,time is of the essence,if it is just a tear,it can be repaired with full recovery.If it is more toward a global tear,you are playing with a very serious injury,that only worsens with time,resulting in less than desirable results.

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2017, 08:39 AM »
Update , going to get mri in the next week or when ever they get me in. Then we will have a plan of attack. Hope its a partial tear.
Is it ice time yet???

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2017, 08:49 AM »
I hope they have the right gearing to get you back in one piece!  :flex: :thumbsup:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2017, 09:17 AM »
Sounds like a good plan. Get a picture and see what's damaged before trying to fix anything.

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2017, 02:15 PM »
If its a partial tear I will let nature take its course , full tear I will have to fix it and hope it don't bankrupt me. Seems to be better if I use it some. It has its limits .
Is it ice time yet???

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2017, 03:49 PM »
If you end up letting nature take it's course, expect 14 to 18 months before you are pain free again. Personal experience with 5 separate, minor, non-surgical, cuff tears. Of course, YMMV. Best of luck to you.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Apr 09, 2017, 02:58 PM »
Good luck Pal, I hope you  make a full and speedy recovery.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2017, 11:01 AM »
Bumped to the top for a Dr's report. How is that shoulder?
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2017, 01:44 PM »
Got to go tomorrow at 4:45 for mri. Then wait to see what they find. Have limited use of it now.
Is it ice time yet???

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Apr 14, 2017, 06:48 PM »
Got to go tomorrow at 4:45 for mri. Then wait to see what they find. Have limited use of it now.

MRI...isn't that the one where they put you in a tube with the whirlygigs revolving about you at a rapid pace?  If that's the one, I'm not sure you're going to make it.  My experiences in the machine have led me to believe that I'm claustrophobic, phonophobic, and technophobic.  When you combine that with your general dislike of people in general, I'm thinking that I may sell tickets to this.

Don't worry, Snopro.  You'll get a cut of the take. 

Or maybe you'll just get cut.

Before you go, though, I have a few things that I'd like for you to sign.

XOXO

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Apr 15, 2017, 07:40 AM »
MRI...isn't that the one where they put you in a tube with the whirlygigs revolving about you at a rapid pace?  If that's the one, I'm not sure you're going to make it.  My experiences in the machine have led me to believe that I'm claustrophobic, phonophobic, and technophobic.  When you combine that with your general dislike of people in general, I'm thinking that I may sell tickets to this.

Don't worry, Snopro.  You'll get a cut of the take. 

Or maybe you'll just get cut.

Before you go, though, I have a few things that I'd like for you to sign.

XOXO
Been in one of those things before, so no problem for me! As for my dislike of people, I just have a problem with idiots! I put up with you and Adam don't I??
Is it ice time yet???

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #16 on: Apr 15, 2017, 09:07 AM »
ouch!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #17 on: Apr 15, 2017, 11:47 AM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Been in one of those things before, so no problem for me! As for my dislike of people, I just have a problem with idiots! I put up with you and Adam don't I??

You must admit, he does... At lest to a degree.  ;D
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2017, 05:35 PM »
Well, had a less then stellar visit to the mri machine!! They had to hook a strap to a thing to roll my shoulder up. That in turn dislocated my shoulder. Pain was terrible. But this happens every once in awhile while I sleep on it. I made them take me out before it was done. They needed one more picture/ scan and I got shoulder back in place and mounted up again. She said I was the first to get back in after getting out! Now we wait and see what they find!
Is it ice time yet???

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #19 on: Apr 16, 2017, 09:29 AM »
Well, had a less then stellar visit to the mri machine!! They had to hook a strap to a thing to roll my shoulder up. That in turn dislocated my shoulder. Pain was terrible. But this happens every once in awhile while I sleep on it. I made them take me out before it was done. They needed one more picture/ scan and I got shoulder back in place and mounted up again. She said I was the first to get back in after getting out! Now we wait and see what they find!

My first time in a MRI machine I came out faster than I went in. The guy running it wasn't impressed at all. Dr rescheduled my appointment and gave me a couple of Valium. Next time was easy.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2017, 09:38 PM »
   Not to be the bearer of bad news,but you may have some serious shoulder problems.I feel your pain,laying in the Mir with my shoulder injuries had to be the most pain I've suffered through.My shoulder would fall out of socket if I layed down or leaned forward( a permenant loss of a rotor cuff will do that) I wish you the best.

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Apr 17, 2017, 06:50 AM »
   Not to be the bearer of bad news,but you may have some serious shoulder problems.I feel your pain,laying in the Mir with my shoulder injuries had to be the most pain I've suffered through.My shoulder would fall out of socket if I layed down or leaned forward( a permenant loss of a rotor cuff will do that) I wish you the best.
Oh, your not the bearer of bad news! I know already that its screwed! Just waiting for the doctor to tell me.
Is it ice time yet???

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #22 on: Apr 17, 2017, 10:42 AM »
Oh, your not the bearer of bad news! I know already that its screwed! Just waiting for the doctor to tell me.

Not to be the bearer or sarcasm and obtuse humor, but is that your bud light arm or Jiggin’ arm?  :unsure: :whistle:

Really though.... How’s your driving and loader operation gonna be? Can there be some kind of power assist added? I hope so! And I hope the pain level drops some or goes away. YOU are already ornery cuss enough! It doesn’t mean we don’t love ya though.  :thumbsup: ;)2 :icefish:

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Apr 17, 2017, 03:08 PM »
The key is to get it checked as soon as possible, so that it something can be done the healing can begin sooner.
Having any kind of joint repair work done years after the injury is more work than you would expect.

Remember that the body will "try" to heal itself even if it's not correctly healed.
Tendons, ligaments, muscles and bone will try to adjust to the injury, which would require fixing along with the injury itself.

Hopefully it's not going to be as drastic as you might think.

Also, keep this in mind...human nature has us thinking of "worst-case scenarios" as a way to prepare for what will actually be. It's just our way of validating what is wrong and what, if anything, can be done to fix it.

Good luck!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Apr 17, 2017, 07:45 PM »

Not to be the bearer or sarcasm and obtuse humor, but is that your bud light arm or Jiggin’ arm?  :unsure: :whistle:

Really though.... How’s your driving and loader operation gonna be? Can there be some kind of power assist added? I hope so! And I hope the pain level drops some or goes away. YOU are already ornery cuss enough! It doesn’t mean we don’t love ya though.  :thumbsup: ;)2 :icefish:
Pain is not bad today, Still waiting on doctor to look at MRI. Going to haul a couple loads of wood tomorrow. Hardest thing is climbing the ladder to get on loader. Kinda have to do it one handed.
Is it ice time yet???

Offline Mainah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Apr 25, 2017, 08:41 AM »
any updates?
I don't do drugs or bottles... fishing takes all my money!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.