Author Topic: What Rod?  (Read 923 times)

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
What Rod?
« on: Apr 02, 2017, 08:16 PM »
Does anyone use the Tickle stick? Looking for a new rod and not sure which way to go without spending a ton of money.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: What Rod?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2017, 09:27 PM »
i like short rods. the shorter the better. so far i use only 13 fishing wicked ice rods in 19" and ultra light for most of them.
i like the frabill titanium strike indicators on all of my rods so i can see them breath on the jigs.
also, i use 2# stroft line made in germany.

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2017, 12:22 PM »
 ;Dhave the 27 in. UL Tickle Stick. Very sensitive rod, absolutely love it. Got enough backbone to take on an occasional bass also, hauled in a 4-5 lb. largemouth with it last winter  :tipup:
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2017, 07:42 PM »
I prefer 13 wicked sticks.  I actually prefer the longer rods.  My son and I have 7 of them ranging from 28" to 38" from light to medium light to medium action.  Everyone has different preference in rods and actions.  To each his own.

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2017, 09:37 PM »
Like 3300, I prefer using rods 20" and shorter. I'm a line watcher and being close to the hole allows me to watch hi-vis line under water for the slightest of bites. Whether I'm kneeling or sitting, I also find that being closer to the hole makes it easier to block the wind and better control my jig cadence.
Regarding strike indicators, I predominantly use them when I'm fishing plastics. The Frabill Titanium spring bobber is convenient and sensitive, but in my honest opinion it does not compare to a correctly paired lavsan strike indicator loaded at a 45 degree angle on a palm rod. Palm rods really shine when the fish are negative and the bite is extremely finicky. In this situation, going small with a low diameter line is sometimes the only thing that will put fish on the ice.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2017, 08:20 AM »
I've gravitated more to the Fenwicks - both Elite Tech's and Aetos.  If you want a fast tip and a super stiff backend the Aetos has it, whereas the Elite Tech's are bit less on both ends.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2017, 08:56 AM »
St Croix Legend.

Offline Duck-Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2017, 11:26 PM »
Gander man advantage series are my go to rods for the past two seasons now. $9.99 and you they often go on sale for $7.49. I like the 20" UL it has bigger eye let's which are nice, less ice build.
REMOVED

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2017, 08:47 AM »
For fishing perch and panfish, I have 3 of the 13 fishing Tickle Sticks. I have a 23" UL, a 27" UL and a 27" L. I absolutely love all of them!
My #1 go to is the 27" UL with a Pflueger President reel with 3 lb PLine Floroice! I don't use a spring bobber!
For walleyes and bass, my dad uses a 27" ML action Tickle Stick, and he loves it. But for me, I use my 28" Medium action 13 fishing Whiteout rod paired with another President reel.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2017, 12:50 PM »
x2 on the legend. A buddy of mine gave me a few St.Croix rods this year. He's in his 70's and his meds wouldn't let him go out on the ice any more so he gave me his stuff. One was a Legend silver. It's now the first rod I grab and the last one I pack up at the end of the day. Thanks again Ron!

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2017, 07:56 PM »
The tickle sticks are great just take care of them so you don't break the tip. Best pan fishing rods ive used.
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.