The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Stupid panfish  (Read 1364 times)

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Stupid panfish
« on: Apr 01, 2017, 03:01 PM »
What's your preferred method for w.p and crappie? I seem to get them to look at it. But they won't touch it. Have that problem alot really, but back to the fish. Using small teardrop jig with just a tip of fish or worm. And they still just swarm up look and take off. Take it away? Chase and swarm. Drop back down to bottom. And repeat. Blows my mind but it must be trial and error. Also rattling spoons a gimmick or a must have?
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Stupid panfish
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2017, 03:08 PM »
I use a small jig head yellow, red, orange  8 or 10 size cover point with a small piece of Nite crawler. if I get a small one I cut it into small pieces 1/4x1/8 strips cover the point 6lb sea gar gatsu  mono it makes a different. small motion, with pauses 

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2017, 03:32 PM »
if I get a small one I cut it into small pieces 1/4x1/8 strips cover the point 6lb sea gar gatsu 

If it's not an approved bait fish you're breaking the law.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2017, 03:34 PM »
I use a small jig head yellow, red, orange  8 or 10 size cover point with a small piece of Nite crawler. if I get a small one I cut it into small pieces 1/4x1/8 strips cover the point 6lb sea gar gatsu  mono it makes a different. small motion, with pauses
I guess it's the small motion with pause. That's patience right? Ha I'm trying. Already have the 6lb seagar and the small different colored jigs. Presentation is king I guess
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2017, 03:55 PM »
I don't know what you are talking about?  When you have Night crawlers  some are small some are big, Cut them right and you will never go home empty handed..

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2017, 04:49 PM »
Some days, there are more "lookers" than there are "grabbers".  No doubt about it...and I've run into that quite a bit lately.  Going down to a smaller lure/bait and slowing down can help.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2017, 05:39 PM »
I’ll send you and Ruddy some doodads. I promised Ruddy some and have been slacking. I’ll get em packed up tomorrow. I still have two rods I’ll send ya. Om me your address so I can get them to ya before ice is gone. My favorite rods though are the 36” HT Ice Blues. They are very sensitive, indestructible and inexpensive. Kind of like a noodle rod for ice fishing.

Other than that though. If you have some meat the hook, crappy will usually commit, especially early and late in the day.

Glow and green stuff works best. The book says horizontal is best....for crappie. Seem generally true. Teasing action with a slow lift will often do the trick. Watch for suspended fish. They are hunting.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2017, 06:13 PM »
the suspended fish are the more aggressive fish when chasing crappie i have found.  start out on the bottom and then quickly come up to the mark and 9 times out of 10 will catch that mark higher up if you can get to it before it disappears.  also if you are in water over 20 feet remember what depth that fish came thru and and jig that area from time to time and you can bring in those more aggressive fish.

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2017, 06:29 PM »
Once you find them,it's a matter of trial and error as to what they want. I have 5 rods rigged with anything from a rattling spoon to a slab rap, jigging raps,and small tungsten with only a small plastics.
Keep experimenting. They'll let you know what they want. Almost always,when I find them on the bottom,if I can get them to rise,continue to slowly keep it above them,and vibrate the rod to get the bait to quiver,9 times out of ten they'll commit. But then there are those days when nothing no seems to work. Guess that's why it's called fishin. Keep at it and it will eventually pay off.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2017, 06:51 PM »
I’ll send you and Ruddy some doodads. I promised Ruddy some and have been slacking. I’ll get em packed up tomorrow. I still have two rods I’ll send ya. Om me your address so I can get them to ya before ice is gone. My favorite rods though are the 36” HT Ice Blues. They are very sensitive, indestructible and inexpensive. Kind of like a noodle rod for ice fishing.

Other than that though. If you have some meat the hook, crappy will usually commit, especially early and late in the day.

Glow and green stuff works best. The book says horizontal is best....for crappie. Seem generally true. Teasing action with a slow lift will often do the trick. Watch for suspended fish. They are hunting.
Appreciate that Joe.
Once you find them,it's a matter of trial and error as to what they want. I have 5 rods rigged with anything from a rattling spoon to a slab rap, jigging raps,and small tungsten with only a small plastics.
Keep experimenting. They'll let you know what they want. Almost always,when I find them on the bottom,if I can get them to rise,continue to slowly keep it above them,and vibrate the rod to get the bait to quiver,9 times out of ten they'll commit. But then there are those days when nothing no seems to work. Guess that's why it's called fishin. Keep at it and it will eventually pay off.
I'll have to try some different presentations I guess. I thought it was put it in front of them and wiggle it. Might try taking it away from them now I guess

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #10 on: Apr 01, 2017, 07:17 PM »
I thought it was put it in front of them and wiggle it.

How often has that worked for ya?  ::) :woot: :icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2017, 07:28 PM »
How often has that worked for ya?  ::) :woot: :icefish:
Alot more than one would beleive Haha. But not as much as it's been attempted that's for sure

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2017, 07:37 PM »
Alot more than one would beleive Haha. But not as much as it's been attempted that's for sure

Must have been a wee presentation with sympathy bite.  ::) :whistle:   Enough of  that!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Apr 01, 2017, 07:41 PM »
I used to have that issue until I switched to 1lb test...

Is your water really clear?

<°)))>{

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2017, 07:12 AM »
When they're not biting on a small jig and waxworm, I will add something like this to give the jig a bit of action.  It worked for me yesterday.  Guys fishing 20 feet from me were seeing marks on their screens, but not much biting.  I was able to get them to chase and bite.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2017, 07:59 AM »
Those look cool .Ron .  Like a little mini wacky rig .

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2017, 02:28 PM »
I'll have to see if I can find me some of them wiggly things

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2017, 04:01 PM »
I'll have to see if I can find me some of them wiggly things
I’m sending you some “atomic nuggies” in glow and a couple colors.  Same, but only 1 wiggly. Also a couple similar but pretty “domination fry” and some others too.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Apr 02, 2017, 09:11 PM »
I’m sending you some “atomic nuggies” in glow and a couple colors.  Same, but only 1 wiggly. Also a couple similar but pretty “domination fry” and some others too.
You keep it up I'm gonna feel obligated to send you a father's day card. Haha thanks again. Already compiling a list to pick away at over the summer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.