The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Update On Foraging Bill, Sort Of!!!  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Update On Foraging Bill, Sort Of!!!
« on: Mar 27, 2017, 03:22 PM »
They had an article in today's Morning Sentinel about the Foraging Bill and where it's at. Basically, it was a repeat of things we already know about the bill except that the bill still needs to be rewritten. And they said it should be changed to target the commercial foragers. They also mention about setting limits on how much all foragers may harvest. I think that's because they want to prevent commercial foragers from claiming they are just foraging for their own personal use.
To some it up, the bill still hasn't been rewritten and will surely die if it is not rewritten so most people can live with it.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Update On Foraging Bill, Sort Of!!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2017, 03:55 PM »
There are dozens of edible plant parts and mushrooms that people forage. Does the legislature think they can set realistic numbers to determine what is a commercial amount of everything that grows wild in Maine?

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2017, 04:09 PM »
Another “solution looking for a problem”.

Standing by to stand by.

"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2017, 04:10 PM »
There are dozens of edible plant parts and mushrooms that people forage. Does the legislature think they can set realistic numbers to determine what is a commercial amount of everything that grows wild in Maine?

Totally agree with you.
But, I think, for example,  they're focusing more on stopping people from taking several trash bags full of fiddleheads so they don't completely wipe out an area.
I agree, who's to say what the reasonable limits will be.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2017, 04:30 PM »
Totally agree with you.
But, I think, for example,  they're focusing more on stopping people from taking several trash bags full of fiddleheads so they don't completely wipe out an area.
I agree, who's to say what the reasonable limits will be.

“The Fiddlehead Act”  ;D

A judge just sided with intertidal land owners giving them ownership of seaweed. Very similar idea.

"Reasonable limits” is a big part of this, BUT, the whole idea of “permission or bill of sale” sticks in my craw. The large land owners that spoke at the hearing we attended had issues with that idea as well. This is still the crux of the biscuit to me. I seem to be ok with “reasonable limits”. Certainly, a hundred or hundreds of pounds of something is not for personal use. Maybe licensing similar to shellfish rules that are enforced through commercial and recreational rules at a landing  or sales point would be appropriate. Just a commercial license and a recreational per day limit might be good and enough.

My comment here is just off the cuff. Thinking out loud....
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2017, 05:10 PM »
Joe, after hearing all opinions on bill, I've come to the conclusion that we do not need this legislation at all. If people / landowners are concerned about the lost of certain wild plants on their property, simply post their properties stating no foraging allowed or foraging allowed by permission only.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2017, 05:20 PM »
Joe, after hearing all opinions on bill, I've come to the conclusion that we do not need this legislation at all. If people / landowners are concerned about the lost of certain wild plants on their property, simply post their properties stating no foraging allowed or foraging allowed by permission only.

That is the real answer. I hope the legislature sees t that way. I will go to any further hearings on the matter.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2017, 05:40 PM »
That is the real answer. I hope the legislature sees t that way. I will go to any further hearings on the matter.

I'll post again when I hear something new about the foraging bill.
Hopefully, if they can't agree on the changes, then the bill will die.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2017, 04:36 AM »
There was a brief mention of this bill on Channel 5 this morning. Just said it didn’t get support at a hearing. I guess that’s the one we were at. Wonder where the mention came from today.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2017, 06:15 AM »

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2017, 07:39 AM »
I would imagine the hope of this kind of bill would be to keep the landowners happy and prevent them from posting their land.  If the signs go up to keep out the foragers they will probably stay up to keep out the hunters. 

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2017, 08:41 AM »
I would imagine the hope of this kind of bill would be to keep the landowners happy and prevent them from posting their land.  If the signs go up to keep out the foragers they will probably stay up to keep out the hunters.

That may be true MK, but there wasn't that many people for this legislation at the public hearing. And a lot of large land owners did testify that they don't want to post their land.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2017, 05:56 AM »
Just a thought.... (George Smith) says this bill is to protect us from loosing property access. This Sunday Hunting bill is more likely to see more property become off limits in our Southern and populated areas. I know a few people that don’t hunt and enjoy walking and hiking on their land on Sundays given the fact they feel they won’t be accidentally shot. Yeah, I know there is a level of paranoia here, but it is real to them. I doubt these people give a poop if you pick mushrooms or apples on their land. Personally, I’m fine with Sunday hunting, but if you are concerned with loosing access to private land, this Sunday hunting bill would be more problematic than wild foraging.

Offline GRGS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2017, 08:08 AM »
How about Sunday hunting only on Maine public reserve land?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.