Author Topic: Questions!  (Read 955 times)

Offline IceKingggg

• IceShanty Rookie
Questions!
« on: Mar 26, 2017, 05:27 PM »
I will be leaving a permanent ice shack on the ice... what do you do? Is there any pointers that you have from things that have went well or bad for you? I am used to carrying my portable around all of the time and have never left a permanent out... What are good things to do??

Anything helps thanks!!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: Questions!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2017, 05:51 PM »
It depends on where you live, but most states require the removal of shacks after a certain date. Then you can only put them on and remove them on a daily basis. You need to check your states regulations! You need to update your profile with your location so that members from your area can better answer your question! Welcome to the site, by the way!  :tipup:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2017, 06:28 PM »
I will be leaving a permanent ice shack on the ice... what do you do? Is there any pointers that you have from things that have went well or bad for you? I am used to carrying my portable around all of the time and have never left a permanent out... What are good things to do??

Anything helps thanks!!

Name and address legible on all four sides in 2" or larger letters on the shanty itself - can't be a separate board or tag.  I believe all permanent shanties have to be removed by March 15th in the northern lower and by March 31st in the majority of the upper peninsula.  Michigan - Wisconsin boundary waters are March 15th also, I believe.

Offline IceKingggg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2017, 07:40 PM »
Sweet thankful!! Is it smart idea to get an ice anchor and strap it to the shack so it doesn't blow around? And is smart to bring four cylinder blocks to set it on?? Or should I just leave it with the skis and break it free with a chisel?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2017, 08:04 PM »
thanks for joining us!

i never had one, but i have read some things and seem some things concerning them.
i have seen them freeze and get stuck into the ice numerous times. looks dangerous trying to free them.
some wait too long to get them off of rotting ice. some reported getting theirs vandalized. some reported they have had theirs caught on fire by unknowns.

if i were to set one out, i think ice anchors and moving it often and leave nothing in it would be important.

Offline IceKingggg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2017, 08:41 PM »
I'm tempted to make a smaller perm with skis on the side so I can just pull it off Everytime or leave it out Friday evening through Sunday evening.

Does anyone have a good setup with an easy portable that's great in wind... Has plenty of space and heats well and is easy to bring place to place? May just go this route instead... Ice wasn't excellent this year and don't want to mess with a perm if it's going to be dreadfull...

Also does anyone know of any universal auger snowmobile mount or a universal tow hitch that have worked well for them in the past?

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2017, 08:50 PM »
Blocks are a great idea, so is a high-lift jack. I leave extra blocks in the shack. The blocks are much easier to chisel than the ski's. If glare ice I would anchor it, if there is snow I bank it and use no anchor. Watch the weather, if it warms up for a couple days you'll have to jack it.
I understand a lot of area's have vandals and such, local fisherman need to cleanse the area. I leave everything in the shack including auger, heater, lures, jig pole, radio. Vandals and thieves have a short life expectancy here, that is usually enough of a deterrent, if not, my name is on the door... and that is.
Otter's hitch system is strong, I pull a 700# shack with it.
It must be something in the water.

Offline IceKingggg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2017, 09:35 PM »
Is the hit hooked directly to your shack for good? Or is it removable?

I've bared through using a hand auger this year and have built some great muscle but won't do another season of it!! Any recommendations on augers?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2017, 10:31 PM »
just add a decent drill to your auger and an adapter like the ice master. it has a bungee so you don't loose your auger if the chuck lets go of it.

Offline IceKingggg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2017, 10:37 PM »
Don't wanna worry about batteries especially when I'm gonna go on road trips.... Just keep a think of gas in the sled for it...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2017, 11:10 PM »
you can charge them on the road too (power inverter). charge them in the rental unit when your sleeping. one battery is all i use and i drill a lot of holes. two is more than enough for one day.

you shouldn't need a tank of gas in the sled either if you end up with a heavy gas auger.

i mentioned add a drill because you have a hand auger now. just add a drill works for many of us here. there are a few holding out and hanging onto the heavy gas augers tho, that already spent on one.

Offline IceKingggg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2017, 07:39 PM »
I'll give it a try!! Thanks!!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2017, 08:02 AM »
If you are using a permanent house, I would definitely go the cordless drill route! (no gas/exhaust fumes)

I bought the Milwaukee Fuel with the side handle this year and got three (3) 5.0ah batteries. I bought an adapter and put my hand auger on it(8" Strikemaster Mora) I tested it over several outings. Got 50+ holes in 10" of ice on 1 battery! This thing has more power and battery life than I will ever need! Best $300 I ever spent!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline IceKingggg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2017, 09:19 AM »
Thanks for the input!! I'm thinking of getting this setup over a gas auger... The drill doesn't choke up at all?

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2017, 11:58 AM »
If you go with the MKE Fuel 18 set-up and are using it in a shack, I'd get the Clam Plate for it. It will eliminate the MKE handle and allow you to get closer to the edges of your shack.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2017, 06:47 AM »
Thanks for the input!! I'm thinking of getting this setup over a gas auger... The drill doesn't choke up at all?

I haven't had a problem with it. I brace the (side)handle against my left thigh with the trigger handle out in front of me in my right hand(parallel to my body). Using it this way, if it does bind slightly it doesn't spin and the pressure against your thigh helps it to break thru.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline slabzilla73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2017, 03:24 PM »
The DNR are quite punctual to your doorstep once the last date has gone by to get shanty off ice here in Michigan. $110 later my shanty was home. Wasn't able to get to the Bay cuz 2 track was rutted up too bad, but they had no sympathy...Lol. Lesson learned!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.