Author Topic: Tip of the day for ice fishermen/women  (Read 640 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Tip of the day for ice fishermen/women
« on: Mar 24, 2017, 02:41 PM »
If you use an electric drill to run your ice auger that you put the auger shaft directly into the drill chuck (K-drill or NILS), then here is a tip for you.  If you are drilling thick enough ice such that your drill chuck is very near or in the water, then you for sure should remember to spray some WD40 into the chuck at the end of the day.  I found out the hard way on my last trip what will happen if you don’t – RUST.

My drill stopped working completely even with a full battery.  And I could NOT open the chuck of the drill to remove the auger.  When I got home and put a channel lock pliers to the chuck, it opened and when looking at it I could see the rust build up inside the chuck.  And as soon as I loosened the chuck, the drill started working again just like it should.

So, my tip for the day is to always spray the chuck with WD40 at the end of the day whenever you drill deep enough into the ice to get the chuck near or in some water.

Just thought you should know.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.