Author Topic: Building a lightweight 4 person permanent ice shack?  (Read 13608 times)

Offline IceKingggg

• IceShanty Rookie
Building a lightweight 4 person permanent ice shack?
« on: Mar 23, 2017, 08:01 AM »
I am starting to plan out a new ice shack build for next season!! If you have any ideas, experience or information it'd be greatly appreciated!!

Here's what I'm looking for!!

- fit 4 people comfortably with a little excess room
- lightweight
- good skis (ideas would be great! "No wheels")
- best insulation for the price
- anything else you guys recommend!!

Any pictures etc would be great!! Thanks!!

Offline Cfilbert

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Building a lightweight 4 person permanent ice shack?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2017, 08:29 AM »
Welcome to the site.  First off update your location so we have an idea to where around you live. 

My last Skid house build I used Polystyrene from Home depot.  Granted the R value isn't as High as Rigid Styrofoam the cost savings are significant.  Just wrap in tyvek and you will be able to heat easily.  I went with a 6x10 and granted I could fish 4 it was tight.  I went with 2x4 floor with 3.5" of stryofoam. 5/8 plywood on the floor.  2x2 walls (do not buy 2x2's I cut mine from 2x4's for straightness).  Easiest roof is a slanted one side walls 3 inches taller than the other (just double the top plate).  2x4 rafters with 3.5 Styrofoam on between the studs.  I used Luan plywood (1/4") and painted both sides with a good oil based paint.
3/8" plywood roof deck and rubber roof.
The Skids I took a double 2x6 on each side.  Overall it was really light I could pick one side up by myself.  Just if your trailering it build it more and a 1/2 inch smaller than the trailer makes loading a lot easier.

Link to my build
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=291727.msg3051949#msg3051949
Is the ice thick enough yet?

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
Re: Building a lightweight 4 person permanent ice shack?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2017, 11:26 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.