The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: North Snakeheads in Mass.  (Read 6436 times)

Offline KivverRivver

• IceShanty Rookie
North Snakeheads in Mass.
« on: Mar 22, 2017, 03:57 AM »
Has anyone caught one of these buggers? They were reported in 2001 and 2004 around Ma.(Hockomock Swamp) and that was the last time??? They are reported to spawn 3/4 times a yr. so if its was true there should be a boat load of them in Hockomock Swamp cause he threw it back into the swamp???Bowfin/burbot are reported to look the same as a snakehead..I have never caught either. Some guy in Va. caught a big one 17#??? They have been reported to be nasty/put up a good fight and are very good to eat.I guess we can't forget those "Flying Asian Carp" in the Miss. River system either of those wild feral hogs moving this way (reorted in N.Y. State). Boy, I LOVE THE OUTDOORS....I wish I could live 100 yrs. to see what happens....

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: North Snakeheads in Mass.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2017, 10:01 AM »
To the best of my knowledge there are no confirmed snakeheads here,not yet anyway.ive had guys show me picts.of bowfin claiming they are S.h.but theywereclearly bows.i guess if you dont catch bows often its an easy mistake.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2017, 11:21 AM »
Yeah, as far as I've seen and heard it also was a mistaken ID of a bowfin and NOT a snakehead.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2017, 02:54 PM »

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2017, 03:05 PM »
Don't need SH in Mass. Keep them out.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2017, 04:00 PM »
PATHWAYS/HISTORY: The northern snakehead is native to areas of China, Russia, and Korea. In the United States, the snakehead was first discovered in 1977 within Silverwood Lake, California. In 2002, this species was discovered in a pond in Crofton, Maryland. This population was eradicated by state biologists using chemical treatments. Despite these efforts, in 2004 it was confirmed that snakeheads had become established in the Potomac River. The northern snakehead has also been reported in Florida, where it may be established. Specimens have been collected from a lake within a New York park; two ponds outside Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; a pond in Massachusetts; and reservoirs in California and North Carolina. In 2008, the northern snakehead was found in drainage ditches in Arkansas, as a result of a commercial fish farming accident. It is feared that recent flooding allowed the species to spread into the nearby White River, which would allow for the eventual population of the fish in the Arkansas and Mississippi Rivers.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2017, 07:02 PM »
 I remember Jimmy Barry had one in his  Westboro shop. He would throw a few shiners in there and it was unbelievable how that fish would devouer them.

Offline rally

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2017, 07:39 PM »
I remember Jimmy Barry had one in his  Westboro shop. He would throw a few shiners in there and it was unbelievable how that fish would devouer them.

Wonder were Jim got it from? How long ago was that BJ. ?
Proudly A Member of G.O.D.S.   More Meds Please

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2017, 08:54 PM »
I thought they were confirmed in MA? I remember reading about it 10-15 years ago?
We have Bowfin here in Champlain but no snake heads.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2017, 10:02 PM »

They can be bought online - through tropical fish dealers - how legal that is...I don't know

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2017, 10:03 PM »
Papa slys post indicates they may have been found here - but not in any significant numbers

Offline KivverRivver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2017, 02:59 AM »
About 4 yrs. ago while fishing spring rainbows at  Loon Pd in Spfld.,Ma I notice on  the shore and in the water this very large crawfish. It was +3" long was a redish brown and the pincer were long and pointed. Since that time I've seen them in the water, they are not the little gray type crawfish I have caught here for bait (for smallies), There was a Chinese Rest. on the other side of the pond . I quess a few of them got loose. There the size of a mini-lobster some guy put one on a pole at the parking ramp..it was +4"
  Last yr. while fishing for bass, using a small floating lure in Ludlow I caught  a Light Blue fish, its lower section was pure white and the fins were tipped orange like a Brook Trout it was also broad/thick . It was about 12" long a gave me a good fight. I threw up on the bank. I went back home and looked it up on the computer....it was a S. American fish (aquarium). It looks like some aquarium person was moving dump there aquarium in the pond...(PETA type) could not kill a fish. I wonder what else was in that aquarium??? If I catch another Blue fish I'm calling the Masswildlife Ser.

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2017, 06:55 AM »
On the potomic the s.h. have had a detramental effect on local fish.especialy those that spawn shallow like bass.like Bj said they devour everything.hope they dont make it here.

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2017, 08:08 AM »
That was many years ago. Someone had it and gave it to Jimmy.

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2017, 11:23 AM »
On the water website had a picture of a guy with a big tilapia he caught out of a trout pond. This was last summer/fall. Never know what might be in the water!!

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2017, 04:02 PM »
On the water website had a picture of a guy with a big tilapia he caught out of a trout pond. This was last summer/fall. Never know what might be in the water!!
I believe that was Spy or Spot pond it was caught in

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2017, 04:30 PM »

Isnt that the truth.  Id like one of those red drum that have been showing up once amd a while at the charlestown breach...

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 23, 2017, 07:58 PM »
Isnt that the truth.  Id like one of those red drum that have been showing up once amd a while at the charlestown breach...

Would be nice to see some of them. I used to go down to Hatteras every fall fishing Red Drum. Great fight and the puppy drum are a lot of fun on lite tackle. Got do a trip down their again been awhile. Did it like 5 years in a row.

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline troutncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 25, 2017, 08:40 PM »
Has anyone else on here ever seen the coi in Cheshire , there massive. Typically hang out in he cove next to the ramp in shallow weeds. Biggest gold fish I have ever seen. Please tell me I'm not the only one who has seen these things.
Drill um and fill um........

Offline KivverRivver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2017, 02:55 AM »
Hey troutncrappie I think its Koi  you are talking about. How large was it? I've seen some around the Spfld. area (Van Horn,Watershop). Goldfish....I  hear those fish a smart, can reconize there owner, do tricks etc. Also, the Comet and the Common are the only ones that do well in the wild. I go after there big brother,,,Mr. Carp who is just as smart as Mr. Goldfish......The Carp record in Mass. is 46 lbs. 5 oz. 2012 out Shrewsbury way...That's the largest freshwater fish caught in Mass!!!!! WOW. The person who caught that one, I'd like to shake that persons hand.Take care Trout....

Offline fisherman2401

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2017, 07:18 AM »
Hey troutncrappie I think its Koi  you are talking about. How large was it? I've seen some around the Spfld. area (Van Horn,Watershop). Goldfish....I  hear those fish a smart, can reconize there owner, do tricks etc. Also, the Comet and the Common are the only ones that do well in the wild. I go after there big brother,,,Mr. Carp who is just as smart as Mr. Goldfish......The Carp record in Mass. is 46 lbs. 5 oz. 2012 out Shrewsbury way...That's the largest freshwater fish caught in Mass!!!!! WOW. The person who caught that one, I'd like to shake that persons hand.Take care Trout....

That carp was shot with an arrow not caught. Should not count as the same record as rod and reel. I have friends that fish that lake a lot and have pulled kois out of it as well as monster carp. One even through the ice

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2017, 01:15 PM »
That carp was shot with an arrow not caught. Should not count as the same record as rod and reel. I have friends that fish that lake a lot and have pulled kois out of it as well as monster carp. One even through the ice

That actually makes it more impressive in my humble opinion...

Offline KivverRivver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 27, 2017, 03:11 AM »
I've done both....shooting a sex crazy schooling carp at 5-10 ft. is easy but  having them take your offeringon rod/reel  is much harder...these fish are very smart and are hook shy( ask the Brits). How do you think he got to be 46 lbs. 5 oz.???? Has any one seen the new world record carp?? It was 222 lbs. caught some were in Thialand Jan. 2017...WOW!!!! 90 min battle on rod/reel. I hate to pull that one through the ice...I saw the Chinese version of a 2 hp Jiffy....its actually two small horses traveling in cicrle with a tool on a sled. they got a 4 hp version also....yes, 4 small horses....they use nets under the ice thank to these Chinese Jiffies and catch  100's of thousands gf a carp like fish. They pull the nets out on to the ice, looks like a mile or so and the people collect the fish( looks like a free for all).... I don't think Masswildlife would approve of that type of fishing.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 27, 2017, 09:56 PM »
Why would Mass care what happened in China?

Thy have a hard enough time patrolling our waters as it is already....

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2017, 10:12 PM »
That actually makes it more impressive in my humble opinion...

That's your opinion, but either way, shouldn't be considered a "fishing record" or be considered the biggest fish "caught"...

Biggest fish shot, sure...

I'll take ya one step further...

I'll be even more impressed if you catch a deer on a rod and reel lol, any pound test your heart desires... Lol

<°)))>{

Offline KivverRivver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 28, 2017, 02:40 AM »
Tim...You miss the point....I think there are no rules about that type of ice fishing around here.When I saw the pictures of that type of ice fishing I laughed, I'm surprise they have not tried that type of ice fishing out in Mich.,Wisc. way

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 28, 2017, 05:38 AM »
If it happens in WI someone will get a ticket. We have pretty restrictive regs regarding netting and spearing:

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/documents/regulations/SpearNet1718Press.pdf
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 28, 2017, 07:52 AM »
their just stinking carp, an invasive species get rid of them

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 28, 2017, 08:27 AM »
their just stinking carp, an invasive species get rid of them

That's exactly why they let you shoot them on a bow

Offline KivverRivver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 30, 2017, 03:51 AM »
I guess you got to get out an see the world, I spent 2 yrs. in the orient and fished there..in England the Brit's spent BIG POUNDS(bucks) on those stinking carp fishing for them also in Canada and all over the orient. I hate eels, those slimy snakes...but around the world they sell them live next to lobster,etc.The world is changing and + 7 billion people eating fish will change that. I think that in 50 yrs. from now they will be talking  in Mass. about who caught the largest North Snakehead, Asian Carp, Peacock Bass.I remember as a kid fishing for Brookies in streams around here....thats all gone...there are 2 Malls running over two great Brook trout streams now, where one night I caught a native 16 1/2 " Brookie   its all gone. I bet a lot of guys out there can talk about there hot spots that a gone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.