Author Topic: How many people fish....  (Read 1538 times)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
How many people fish....
« on: Mar 20, 2017, 03:41 PM »
with tip-ups, jigging, or both?

I figured I'd ask, just out of curiosity.

I started out a tip-up angler, then added jigging to the mix, and now I primarily just jig.
I figure that I save a lot on bait, since I will use waxworms or dillies while jigging, instead of shiners or smelts.

I also have stopped using the power auger and just hand auger, which saves on the weight of what I'm hauling around.

...."discuss"...
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How many people fish....
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2017, 04:10 PM »
I also started just tip up fishing, now i usually have 3 tip ups out and 2 jigging rods. The first year i picked up a jigging rod i did great and usually out jig my tip ups now. We are allowed 5 units so i make the most of it. Also i always used a hand auger and now that i tried a cordless drill unit, that is the way to go. let the drill do the work.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2017, 05:05 PM »
We're allowed (3) lines in the water so most times I fish both ,,,, typically (2) jig rods and (1) tip-up.  There are times, though, that I will set all tip-ups and sit in my shanty and read/relax.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2017, 05:06 PM »
Jig, tip ups, spear, whatever it takes..

<°)))>{

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2017, 05:54 PM »
I usually jig and set out a bunch of tip-ups ; figuring that if perch & sunfish are around , so is a predator or two. I am very spoiled here on Lake Champlain, where 15 lines can be fished on the ice.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2017, 08:04 PM »
If fishing for perch, trout, bass, walleye I just jig will jig and set tipups for burbot and pike

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2017, 09:35 PM »
Usually just  jig for panfish but once in a while set tip ups out for perch ..... When after pike and walleye i jig and use tip ups both ....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2017, 09:26 AM »
I started out jigging, then after a couple years I started setting traps. I like tip ups and other types of traps but I found that if I'm setting up tip ups I either don't pay enough attention to them or I don't pay attention to my jigging. Jigging is great if you can relax and just sit back and watch that flasher and fish the hole and move around when I feel like it. Tip ups are great if you want to set up the traps and then hang out with the boys and watch for flags. I don't like to do both at the same time. Sometimes I'll set up just 1 trap while I jig though... I can usually handle that much, lol!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2017, 12:17 PM »
tipups weren't very popular in Idaho until pretty recently. folks pretty much just set rods out in rod holders, and that's how i fished for the longest time. caught plenty of fish too. when i really started getting into fishing i started doing more jigging, but i was still mostly just sitting in one spot waiting for fish (no electronics). then i bought a camera, and started actually looking for groups of fish. did that for a few years, but i would still set out the dead rods.

now i have a flasher, and a full spread of tipups. if the fishing is slow i'll set out the tipups to make a bit more of an opportunity at some action, but primarily i'm jigging and looking for active fish. more often than not, i outfish the traps 10 to 1, but the fish that come on tipups are consistently larger.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2017, 08:07 PM »
I gotta admit, even though in this modern day of ice fishing it makes one look lazy and inflexible, I am a hard-core tipup fisherman  ::) :tipup:

My nephews often fish without setting a single tipup, and they have great days getting perch limits just with rods, and that's great. I admit that I am too old and too lazy to do the hole hopping that some guys do to find and stay on a school of panfish. I commend them for their success, but I prefer to be stationary with the tipups in, and some days I kill it and other days I don't. Overall, like others have said here, the fish I put on the ice with tipups are larger than the typical fish caught while jigging, so it is becomes a quality vs. quantity argument in the end.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2017, 08:22 PM »
jigging and hand lining since 1970. Why change when it works?

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2017, 08:24 PM »
I usually jig and set out a bunch of tip-ups ; figuring that if perch & sunfish are around , so is a predator or two. I am very spoiled here on Lake Champlain, where 15 lines can be fished on the ice.

Dude, most of my ice fishing is on Champlain also. Love the 15 lines deal, we got it made with making choices for how we want to fish. Nowhere else in North America does the 15 line limit apply. Boo Yeah ! ;D :clap: :thumbsup: :flex: :flex:
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2017, 09:06 PM »
Nowhere else in North America does the 15 line limit apply. Boo Yeah ! ;D :clap: :thumbsup: :flex: :flex:

That's just crazy, we are allowed 3 total..

<°)))>{

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2017, 10:15 AM »
WOW! I thought WE had it good in PA with 5 lines!  :o

I probably fish more by just jigging. But I am starting to use JawJacker's more and more. Usually jig with one rod, deadstick one rod and use 3 JawJackers. If I don't have much time to fish, or I wanna stay mobile, I just jig.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2017, 10:27 AM »
Yeah, that (15) line allowance is quite something.   :o  Even though we can only fish (3) I believe I have enough equipment to cover that many lines, but don't tell my wife....

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2017, 02:05 PM »
Both, last 2-3 years more jigging because I enjoy moving around a lot.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2017, 02:37 PM »
 I'm a straight up jigger , I spend most of my time fishing eyes and perch , some pans and a little laker fishing , at 61 I still like to run and gun just a little slower These days , we are allowed 7 lines in any combination in the lakes I fish ,jigging out performs tip ups in the bodies of water i frequent

Offline L.A. fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2017, 05:50 PM »
I run just tip-ups but I'm slowly learning how to jig

Offline Duck-Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 23, 2017, 06:21 AM »
Tight-linning is my preferred method of jigging. I only run one rod. If I'm walleye fishing I will run a dead stick and jigging rod.

I have been known to chuck a spear from time to time.
REMOVED

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #19 on: Mar 23, 2017, 07:43 AM »
Mainly jigging for me. Occasionally a tipup gets set. I prefer to accumulate enough keeper panfish for two or three fish fry meals for my family and the majority want panfish for dinner. Bluegill and crappie are my main target for fish.
When I'm on the ice with my wife and friends we're there for fresh air, fun, and exercise, - TOP PRIORITY!

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 23, 2017, 01:09 PM »
We are allowed 5 lines in the water.  If I am fishing by myself or with someone who jigs a lot, if the walking conditions are good, we just jig and keep moving till we find them.  When the snow gets deep or I'm fishing with a group, I set 4 tip-up and alternate between jigging or just setting the jaw-jacker

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 23, 2017, 01:36 PM »
I fish both tipups and jigging. I usually start jigging. If I move to a new spot I often set a trap in the hole I'm leaving. If I'm on a pond that I know well I'll set three traps about 15 feet apart and jig from a spot where the traps are in easy view. When jigging I jig one hole with a flasher and I deadstick a second hole a few feet away. I think the moving jig draws them in. Once they're there it's anyone's guess which line they'll bite.

Offline IceMonsters

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team New York
« Reply #22 on: Mar 23, 2017, 04:21 PM »
I dont fish......I catch  ;D Jigging and tip-ups lol

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Mar 29, 2017, 06:50 PM »
I fish with both because we can use five devices so why not put them out to increase my odds. 

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 29, 2017, 07:18 PM »
I use both tip ups and jigging rod. :tipup: :tipup:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 30, 2017, 06:29 AM »
I jig most of the time, I use tip ups when fishing the walleye challenge if it has ice.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 30, 2017, 07:59 PM »
This past year was year 3 of ice fishing for me.  First two years I was primarily tip downs with a few tip-ups if I had the wife or daughter with me.  Tried jigging without much success.  Used a Helix 5 but struggled a bit with it.  Both a Vex FL-18 and was hooked on jigging this year.   If I go out by myself I'll jig, set one tip down and one tip-up.  I run blue tipz on the tip-up and tip-down because I'm concentrating on the flasher / jigging to much to see the flags on the tip-ups or the tip-down, well, tip-down.
Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.