The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: St albans  (Read 12315 times)

Offline Profish169

• IceShanty Rookie
St albans
« on: Mar 20, 2017, 11:27 AM »
Anybody know the ice conditions of St. Albans and if there getting any whites

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: St albans
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2017, 12:40 PM »
There hasn't been a soul out anywhere in the bay this weekend. It was scouted yesterday at 1230.

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2017, 04:39 PM »
There has been pictures from the Ice Fishing Shanty page on Facebook of people fishing off Hathaways. There were pictures of jet sleds full of whites, but they deleted them sometime last night. I think people are keeping quiet about it. 

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2017, 05:04 PM »
Don't waste your time they're all gone.................. .....

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2017, 05:07 PM »
There has been pictures from the Ice Fishing Shanty page on Facebook of people fishing off Hathaways. There were pictures of jet sleds full of whites, but they deleted them sometime last night. I think people are keeping quiet about it.
Ahh that makes sense, I thought I had just dreamt about a sled full of whites. You actually catch a lot more with a group of people when you can keep the school under your holes. If the ice holds I'll be out there on Sunday, and maybe Saturday. Always glad to meet up with others and find the fish.

Offline Profish169

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2017, 05:54 PM »
I'm also thinking about maybe going up Saturday

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2017, 05:58 PM »
Just be careful guys! This sun is going to take it's toll on the ice and it was open water around Hathaways not too long ago. Good luck if you do find some safe ice though.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2017, 06:18 PM »
I'm going to go up after work tomorrow until dark. I'll post an update on the ice conditions and bite. There's plenty of white perch to go around if they are there.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2017, 06:41 PM »
They are an invasive...catch as many as you can. I am sure the State would like to see them all caught. Not going to happen.....those things are expert at reproduction. Really an amazing pan fish
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2017, 10:45 AM »
I'm taking Friday off work to make a perch run up St A. Any other of you Shanty fellas be there Friday?
If so, stop over to the clam flipova. I agree with Joe, groups help keep the fish under you, as well as being able to tell which way the schools are moving if they get out from under you.
Chasing Ice

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2017, 11:13 AM »
I was the "test pilot" that ventured out Sunday, then had a few others come out after I was popping holes.
Got the smally 1st hole 1st jig drop, then bounced around trying to fond whites but was only getting a sunburn and loads of very aggressive small yellows.
Got the 30" pike about noontime, then moved closer to where the pressure crack was earlier in the year and finally found the whites.
Took home 5 large ones, sold the rest of the catch to Steve.
I did call the baitshop and Steve was trying to send folks out, but most people were just stopping and glassing me.
Ice is good, 5-8" black, depending on if it was close to shore.
20FOW has 8" black ice under about 10" of dense snowpack now.
My pics ARE all over FB now, IS I've not had time to get them into photobucket and over here yet.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2017, 11:28 AM »
I was the "test pilot" that ventured out Sunday, then had a few others come out after I was popping holes.
Got the smally 1st hole 1st jig drop, then bounced around trying to fond whites but was only getting a sunburn and loads of very aggressive small yellows.
Got the 30" pike about noontime, then moved closer to where the pressure crack was earlier in the year and finally found the whites.
Took home 5 large ones, sold the rest of the catch to Steve.
I did call the baitshop and Steve was trying to send folks out, but most people were just stopping and glassing me.
Ice is good, 5-8" black, depending on if it was close to shore.
20FOW has 8" black ice under about 10" of dense snowpack now.
My pics ARE all over FB now, IS I've not had time to get them into photobucket and over here yet.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2017, 11:30 AM »
Just be careful guys! This sun is going to take it's toll on the ice and it was open water around Hathaways not too long ago. Good luck if you do find some safe ice though.

I called you guys and left a voice message as soon as I got out there, the bite is on and the ice is good!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2017, 11:39 AM »
We were out there Sunday. 2 of us filled 6 7 gallon buckets throwing back the dinks keeping the bigger ones.
The larger ones are on top of the school.
Blood line jig.
Good luck DON'T CROSS THE PRESSURE CRACK!!!!!!!
Walk around it.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Yeti

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2017, 03:23 PM »
LOL!!!  Mudchuck quote “I was the test pilot that ventured out Sunday, then had a few others come out after popping holes.”  Mudchuck, you were the Shepard who leads first.  We are the sheep, that follows in the path of you, the Shepard.”   I'm usually a Shepard by nature and for work.  But when it comes to ICE, I'm a sheep and follow the Shepard!  Keep blazing new safe paths Shepard, for us sheep will follow.  Thank you.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2017, 04:37 PM »
What time was that? We were there from sunrise until 8/830. Didn't see anyone else out there?
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 21, 2017, 06:04 PM »
I went this afternoon. Didn't see any tracks at all so maybe I went I fished the wrong part of Hathaway. I went off to the right of the boat launch and walked out about 1,000 yards till I got straight off the point and moved South. Ice had a thin layer of crust than 5-6" of water for about 50 yards than it was easy walking in 4-5" of snow. There was 7-8" of good ice where I ended up and 11" of ice in some places. I only saw two guys out there North of the point that got on from the camps (didn't know you could do that). I didn't get a single white perch, but I did get a half a pale of big yellow perch in a couple of hours, so not completely disappointed. I'm guessing where the other two are was the spot since they didn't move the entire time.

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2017, 05:54 AM »
I went this afternoon. Didn't see any tracks at all so maybe I went I fished the wrong part of Hathaway. I went off to the right of the boat launch and walked out about 1,000 yards till I got straight off the point and moved South. Ice had a thin layer of crust than 5-6" of water for about 50 yards than it was easy walking in 4-5" of snow. There was 7-8" of good ice where I ended up and 11" of ice in some places. I only saw two guys out there North of the point that got on from the camps (didn't know you could do that). I didn't get a single white perch, but I did get a half a pale of big yellow perch in a couple of hours, so not completely disappointed. I'm guessing where the other two are was the spot since they didn't move the entire time.
Parking is by permission only, and only at a few camps. Please respect Mr  Hathaway's land and ask before you park there.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 22, 2017, 06:32 AM »
Surprising that the ice has recovered so well. Drove by there Friday and it looked too sketchy to try for me. This cold snap should hold the ice together into the weekend, so guess it's time for one last hurrah! I may head out there on Sat or Sunday if anyone wants to come say hello. Will have on a gray northface jacket and possibly a red shack if it's chilly enough.

Offline got1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 22, 2017, 08:15 AM »
If anyone is going solo and wants someone else to fish with let me know ( more for saftey reasons) my old lady is in dispose this weekend so I'm solo but not gonna go solo..

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 22, 2017, 08:43 AM »
A few questions, if I may...   Are white perch also been caught at other spots than Hathaway?
                                         How about from the State Park at the end of Hathaway Rd.
                                                 - Is the ice safe there?
                                                 - Can I park there and walk to the spot behind Mr. Hathaway's place?
During the short run earlier this season, I was at Bayside bait shop and the phone was ringing off the hook from guys from NJ/MA/CT (all of who've been up for the run before)    Just wondering where they all park when the run is in full swing?

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 22, 2017, 08:48 AM »
From what I've seen in the past, most drive all the way to the state park at the end and walk out to the point / green can from there (pretty much due East from state park).  Not sure where Mudchuck and others got on recently, though.  The green can is an awfully long walk from the boat launch half-way out Hathaway's point.

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 22, 2017, 08:51 AM »
Thank, Crayfish2 ! I'm still climbing the learning curve trying to figure this all out!
Best of luck to you & perch bait!

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2017, 10:02 AM »
my 15 passenger van is full of clients from nj, ma and ct for the weekend. where should we park for the perch-a-thon?

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2017, 10:19 AM »
Have 'em all chip in $50 each and I'll find you a primo parking spot 😆 🚐

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 22, 2017, 10:19 AM »
at your new home?

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 22, 2017, 10:21 AM »
I'll run a shuttle!

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #27 on: Mar 22, 2017, 10:54 AM »
I know it seems like the perch run is gaining widespread popularity (lots of it) and I have to believe this is a cause of the run being kept quiet this year.... But the parch are invasive, and its my understanding that folks want them eradicated from the lake... so with that said, Can anyone elaborate on why it seems to be kept quite this year? I know the bay was not safe to be on for a while, which could be another cause....
One of the things I appreciate most about the Vt board (and why I spend more of my time in the Vt board than the NH one) is that there is so Much more knowledge sharing here amongst one another. Most even generously share spots of success, lures, lakes, etc.... just my thoughts here, but I wouldn't think that keeping the run quiet woule be conducive to thinning them out?
Chasing Ice

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 22, 2017, 11:03 AM »
Aaron - I think you're right that it was the unsafe ice that has kept people off the whites this year.  Plus, they seem to be just starting to turn on, which is about the right timing based on the past couple of years.  Hopefully the ice holds up so we can get after them!  Sounds like PB and I are going to shoot for Sunday.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 22, 2017, 11:25 AM »
Aaron - I think you're right that it was the unsafe ice that has kept people off the whites this year.  Plus, they seem to be just starting to turn on, which is about the right timing based on the past couple of years.  Hopefully the ice holds up so we can get after them!  Sounds like PB and I are going to shoot for Sunday.

It's no big secret, they show up late February and stack up good all thru the end of April and into May when the water temps get closer to 50F. They follow the other spawning species into the rivers and creeks and eat up the eggs...they do this ever year following crappie into the creek at Black Bridge, and on the Mississiqoui they follow the walleyes up to the dam in Swanton.
They also follow the sunnies into Mill River and salmon into the creek at Eagle Mountain.
I know because I've witnessed this firsthand at all these locations, so they must do this in others areas of the lake and it's tribs.

That said, Steve mentioned to me Sunday morning that the ice had scared so many people away with the warm spell (including me), and it took a big hit in February when we normally start gathering to chase them around near the point.
The whites stay in that bay year round and I've caught them 100 yards off the shoreline from the boat launch to the point trolling flathead lures or bottom bouncing walleye crawler harnesses. The larger breeders tend to spawn then move out to deeper water, which in the case of St. Albans bay, means out on the drop off at Ball Island into the Inland Sea and around Burton all the way to the Cowbanks...just ask the salmon trollers...
I was fortunate enough to head out there ealry enough in February to get on them just as they started schooling up and got into a big bunch to setup for my annual fish fry I do at work to honor my fellow co-workers that work outside in the harsh conditions all winter. I managed to get 20# of boneless-skinless fillets and hit my goal, then boom, the ice turned to open water for 3 weeks and no one really bothered because of the unsafe ice, yet the whites were still there all along.

As for access, park at the state park and walk onto the ice at the park anywhere in that general vicinity and head towards the green channel marker can (which by the way appears to have disappeared in the snowstorm).
Can also get on at the boat launch and head towards Lazy Lady island but this is a much further walk than I care to do. It is a good option when ice conditions are favorable to driving on or using ATV's/sleds.

I was out there Sunday from 8AM to 3PM 100 yards or so just off the rocky point at Hathaway's, the perch are in that general vicinity (as usual), and just need to pop a few holes, use live minnows, dead minnow heads, crawlers & spikes or whatever you fancy for a jighead or bibbet...these fish are by no means finicky!

TIGHT LINES EVERYONE.
I plan on being out there Saturday, hope to see you then!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.