The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: St albans  (Read 12333 times)

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
Re: St albans
« Reply #30 on: Mar 22, 2017, 11:47 AM »

It's no big secret, they show up late February and stack up good all thru the end of April and into May when the water temps get closer to 50F. They follow the other spawning species into the rivers and creeks and eat up the eggs...they do this ever year following crappie into the creek at Black Bridge, and on the Mississiqoui they follow the walleyes up to the dam in Swanton.
They also follow the sunnies into Mill River and salmon into the creek at Eagle Mountain.
I know because I've witnessed this firsthand at all these locations, so they must do this in others areas of the lake and it's tribs.

That said, Steve mentioned to me Sunday morning that the ice had scared so many people away with the warm spell (including me), and it took a big hit in February when we normally start gathering to chase them around near the point.
The whites stay in that bay year round and I've caught them 100 yards off the shoreline from the boat launch to the point trolling flathead lures or bottom bouncing walleye crawler harnesses. The larger breeders tend to spawn then move out to deeper water, which in the case of St. Albans bay, means out on the drop off at Ball Island into the Inland Sea and around Burton all the way to the Cowbanks...just ask the salmon trollers...
I was fortunate enough to head out there ealry enough in February to get on them just as they started schooling up and got into a big bunch to setup for my annual fish fry I do at work to honor my fellow co-workers that work outside in the harsh conditions all winter. I managed to get 20# of boneless-skinless fillets and hit my goal, then boom, the ice turned to open water for 3 weeks and no one really bothered because of the unsafe ice, yet the whites were still there all along.

As for access, park at the state park and walk onto the ice at the park anywhere in that general vicinity and head towards the green channel marker can (which by the way appears to have disappeared in the snowstorm).
Can also get on at the boat launch and head towards Lazy Lady island but this is a much further walk than I care to do. It is a good option when ice conditions are favorable to driving on or using ATV's/sleds.

I was out there Sunday from 8AM to 3PM 100 yards or so just off the rocky point at Hathaway's, the perch are in that general vicinity (as usual), and just need to pop a few holes, use live minnows, dead minnow heads, crawlers & spikes or whatever you fancy for a jighead or bibbet...these fish are by no means finicky!

TIGHT LINES EVERYONE.
I plan on being out there Saturday, hope to see you then!

...Well there ya go... knowledge sharing at its best  ;)2 Thanks MC! If you are out there Friday, look for the 2 big fellas (one grey suit, one red suit). same goes to all.

Cray & PB.... I was going to come out on Sunday with Joe, but I had "other" plans preset for me :) so I weaseled in a Friday off from work to get out while I still can.
I will post an ice report Friday
Chasing Ice

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Mar 22, 2017, 11:59 AM »
Many thanks, mudchuck!   One more 👍🏽 for this helpful forum.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 22, 2017, 03:33 PM »
I'll run a shuttle!

did you find a house? they are "auctioning" one in isle lamotte on friday.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
St albans
« Reply #33 on: Mar 22, 2017, 04:38 PM »
Good Luck on Friday Aaron and Tight Lines to you Mudchuck for Saturday! Based on the extended forecast through the weekend it's certainly not going to be loosing any ice. Be sure to keep us posted. I can't wait to hear all about your trips! Leave some fish for CF2 and I!  ;D Looking forward to the perfect way to close out the ice season. Last year I went Salmon fishing for my B-Day, but this year I'll be on ice (My favorite place to be!). TLTA, PB!  :tipup:
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 22, 2017, 07:54 PM »
A few questions, if I may...   Are white perch also been caught at other spots than Hathaway?
                                         How about from the State Park at the end of Hathaway Rd.
                                                 - Is the ice safe there?
                                                 - Can I park there and walk to the spot behind Mr. Hathaway's place?
During the short run earlier this season, I was at Bayside bait shop and the phone was ringing off the hook from guys from NJ/MA/CT (all of who've been up for the run before)    Just wondering where they all park when the run is in full swing?

Yesterday afternoon I parked at the state park and walked all the way to Hathaway Point. The first 50 yards is a wet walk so bring some good boots, but after that its all black ice as long as you stay away from the wet spots (you'll see them very easily). The walk wasn't bad for me, but hiking the California mountains 15-20 miles a week in the Marine Corps will do that to you. The last time I fished for whites out there was in 2011 and this was the first year I went back. When they were in there Id only have to punch one hole in the same area just off the point and would find them. The yellow perch are in there right now though, I caught plenty of them and will be going back this weekend. 

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #35 on: Mar 22, 2017, 08:14 PM »
The big yellows are in there good right now. We Hammered them today. I spoke to a commercial guy I know today and that's the place to find them right now.
First few hours of the morning is busy after that most guys have moved on. I don't get too excited about white perch. 1 good day over those is all I want a year. There's no money in them, but good for the freezer.
Good luck out there. There are soft spots out there people have been getting wet.
Be safe.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Yeti

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Mar 23, 2017, 08:18 PM »
  I went to Bayside Bait & Tackle to buy some bait today, with hopes of fishing off Hathaway Point.  One of the guys from the store and his buddy were just heading out to fish Hathaway Point.  The owner told them to wait and lead me out to the point to fish.  These are the same two guys that were killing them earlier in the week (white perch).  There were maybe a dozen (+) plus people on the ice when we set up.  We were spread out 15 to 25 yards from each other.  The other people on the ice were as close to 50 yards away and more to us.  "VERY SLOW DAY" is putting it mildly.  When I called it quits after 4:30pm, not one us had a single white perch.  Even after many times of relocating.

The totals stood at under a dozen each from the guys at Bayside (YELLOW perch).  And for myself, ZERO.  A lot of action with people trying new locations. But that was the only action. By 4:00pm there were only six people still on the ice.

I'll write more in the morning.  I just wanted to let people know ahead of time. In case anyone was planing on taking "sick" day to fish.  Nobody was filling up jet sleds of white perch today.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 23, 2017, 08:28 PM »
same result at a different location for me too. seems like the perch took the day off.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #38 on: Mar 23, 2017, 08:32 PM »
The weather was too nice in this case I think. Warm with minimal wind, at least from what I can deduct from the St. A forecast for today. We've got a low pressure system rolling through tomorrow with winds, snow, and rain. Hopefully the bit resets for the weekend run. Keeping my fingers crossed for a good day of fishing.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 23, 2017, 08:39 PM »
We hit it early this morning out left straight from the boat launch. Got right into the big yellows same area as the other day.
They were catching whites closer to kilkare.
They're still there just need to move around.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #40 on: Mar 23, 2017, 08:42 PM »
We hit it early this morning out left straight from the boat launch. Got right into the big yellows same area as the other day.
They were catching whites closer to kilkare.
They're still there just need to move around.
How much ice were you working with Light Liner?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Mar 23, 2017, 09:22 PM »

It's no big secret, they show up late February and stack up good all thru the end of April and into May when the water temps get closer to 50F. They follow the other spawning species into the rivers and creeks and eat up the eggs...they do this ever year following crappie into the creek at Black Bridge, and on the Mississiqoui they follow the walleyes up to the dam in Swanton.
They also follow the sunnies into Mill River and salmon into the creek at Eagle Mountain.
I know because I've witnessed this firsthand at all these locations, so they must do this in others areas of the lake and it's tribs.

That said, Steve mentioned to me Sunday morning that the ice had scared so many people away with the warm spell (including me), and it took a big hit in February when we normally start gathering to chase them around near the point.
The whites stay in that bay year round and I've caught them 100 yards off the shoreline from the boat launch to the point trolling flathead lures or bottom bouncing walleye crawler harnesses. The larger breeders tend to spawn then move out to deeper water, which in the case of St. Albans bay, means out on the drop off at Ball Island into the Inland Sea and around Burton all the way to the Cowbanks...just ask the salmon trollers...
I was fortunate enough to head out there ealry enough in February to get on them just as they started schooling up and got into a big bunch to setup for my annual fish fry I do at work to honor my fellow co-workers that work outside in the harsh conditions all winter. I managed to get 20# of boneless-skinless fillets and hit my goal, then boom, the ice turned to open water for 3 weeks and no one really bothered because of the unsafe ice, yet the whites were still there all along.

As for access, park at the state park and walk onto the ice at the park anywhere in that general vicinity and head towards the green channel marker can (which by the way appears to have disappeared in the snowstorm).
Can also get on at the boat launch and head towards Lazy Lady island but this is a much further walk than I care to do. It is a good option when ice conditions are favorable to driving on or using ATV's/sleds.

I was out there Sunday from 8AM to 3PM 100 yards or so just off the rocky point at Hathaway's, the perch are in that general vicinity (as usual), and just need to pop a few holes, use live minnows, dead minnow heads, crawlers & spikes or whatever you fancy for a jighead or bibbet...these fish are by no means finicky!

TIGHT LINES EVERYONE.
I plan on being out there Saturday, hope to see you then!

Awesome info and good luck!

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 23, 2017, 11:30 PM »
I fished off Hathaway Point today from 3-7pm, caught 17  smallish yellow perch and some really dinky ones. About 5 or 6 other fisherman, the white perch were a no show. The ice was 7-12". Gave it a go from near shore to nearly halfway to the island.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 24, 2017, 04:30 AM »
6-9" ice
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Mar 24, 2017, 06:46 AM »
I'm planning on being out there Saturday morning until 0 dark thirty...will report if I get on any.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 24, 2017, 06:52 AM »
I'm done for the year yesterday was my last day. Ice is getting unsafe imo.
Good luck hope you guys get into them.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Mar 24, 2017, 07:10 AM »
I'm planning on being out there Saturday morning until 0 dark thirty...will report if I get on any.
See you in the morning! There is a football field sized school of hungry fish somewhere in that bay...

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #47 on: Mar 24, 2017, 08:04 AM »
Checking in, I've been quiet this year only been out once with my niece. But it's on tomorrow!
Time to pound perch!
Hope I still got the touch
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 24, 2017, 08:15 AM »
Among all of us headed out tomorrow, someone will find that giant school; then the fun begins!

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #49 on: Mar 24, 2017, 08:21 AM »
Maybe you'll hook into another giant Whitefish Wes!  ;D  That was a beautiful fish.   Again, Tight Lines to All.

Offline Panfish_Chaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Mar 24, 2017, 07:17 PM »
Did anybody get into the whites and yellows today? Might be checking it out tomorrow.

Tight lines!!!

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 24, 2017, 07:28 PM »
x2 on a white perch report!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Mar 24, 2017, 08:01 PM »
Still cleaning fish probably.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 25, 2017, 06:54 AM »
They're here we are catching whites. Got right into them just after light.
Another hour that will be enough for my freezer.

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 25, 2017, 07:15 AM »
Were done off the lake 2 buckets each of whites. Threw the little ones back. There's a lot of bigger ones fill up a bucket quick.
Orange and red jigs seem to work well for us.
Good way to end the season.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Mar 25, 2017, 07:19 AM »
Were done off the lake 2 buckets each of whites. Threw the little ones back. There's a lot of bigger ones fill up a bucket quick.

Awesome! Heading there soon. Where'd you guys setup?

Offline stubborn1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Mar 25, 2017, 08:44 AM »
Pics, or it didn't happen.  (At least for the rest of us.)
I fish better Hungry.

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 25, 2017, 11:55 AM »
Anyone out on the bay feel like sending a lunctime report?

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Mar 25, 2017, 12:45 PM »
I'm sure they're getting into them I was texted earlier this morning from some buddies that fished out there early this morning and they did well.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Mar 25, 2017, 01:44 PM »
Pretty good bite for me today, but had a hard time keeping the school under my holes. Had better luck with smaller jigs. Gave a bunch of fish away and now I need to fillet a bucket of big ones. Lots of people out there including a group that drove up from Brooklyn this morning!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.