Author Topic: Plug for Seafoam  (Read 2382 times)

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
Plug for Seafoam
« on: Mar 20, 2017, 09:46 AM »
Generally I have always believed fuel additives to be snake oil. Nevertheless, I always dumped Sta-bil in my boat tank and some type of fuel injector cleaner in my vehicles every oil change. Lately, my older sedan was idling a little rough and Seafoam totally cleared the problem overnight. My friends have sworn by this stuff for years for use in everything from cars to boats, augers, and lawn mowers (not to mention a bunch of TV personality fisherman making similar claims). I am a believer now. Hopefully this might help somebody else fix or maintain an engine.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Plug for Seafoam
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2017, 10:25 AM »

Sea Foam 128-oz. Motor Treatment for Gas & Diesel Engines - $37.09 w/ In-Store Pickup at Advance Auto Parts (was $52.99)

Use coupon code SAVINGS during checkout to take 30% off!

Offline baogongmeo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2017, 10:55 AM »
Whenever my old chainsaw begins running sluggishly I'll put a little Seafoam in it's gastank and can hear and feel my saw running better and better before I'm halfway through that tank.
Tried it in my 8n but did not detect much improvement , the same with my '95 F150 but it helped my old '81 F150 run much smoother. For the '81, I was told to slowly pour about 1/3 of the can into the carb as it was running and flooding it out. Then letting it sit for 30-45 minutes before restarting. On starting I had to work the throttle for several minutes to keep it running and was alarmed to see copious volumes of white smoke coming from the exhaust. I'm talking a cloud of smoke I couldn't see through higher than the trees... reminiscent of the mosquito fogger truck the city would drive all around town in the 60s and 70s.  After 30-40 minutes the smoke eased up and the truck was idling smooth.
For the '95 I pulled a vacuum hose and put it into the can while letting the engine slurp Seafoam. When it had taken about 1/3 I flooded it out and let it sit for 30-40 minutes... had very little smoke and the idle smoothed right away.
For the 8n I poured about 1/2 of a can into about 1/2 a tank of gas... I've done it twice now.
I bought a gallon of Seafoam and refill the small cans as I use them but a gallon is going to last a long time.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2017, 07:13 PM »
I'm going to have to try flooding the carb on my '80 pickup. Carb has been rebuilt but the idle has not been consistent for years.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2017, 10:12 PM »
I run it all year long in outboards and ice auger. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2017, 12:03 AM »
I've used only Amsoil's many products since 1983.

It's complete and additives are NOT recommended, nor are they needed.

It's so simple when using the best.

The warranty is unbeatable.

Sorry ~ no hijack intended. Back to the cave and above stated topic.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2017, 04:40 AM »
I love the stuff. That, along with Startron for the ethanol, I can't remember the last time I had a fuel related problem with any of my gas engines.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2017, 08:13 PM »
Three years ago my auger started to run a little rough so I started checking it out and found that there was a blob of gook blocking the inlet to the carb which was caused by the Ethanol eating at the fuel line.  I changed the fuel line, cleaned out the gook and ran Seafoam and Startron in the gas ever since without any problems. 

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2017, 09:13 PM »
I use aimsoil saber for all my small 2 strokes. I did start to add 2 ounces of seafoam to 5 liters of gas. it did make a difference in my chainsaw. before especially when it was cold it would sputter and bog down and fuss a bit when you went from idle to full throttle. otherwise it fan perfect.  with the seafoam it almost instantly stopped doing that. I don't know if it cleaned something out or what but I will continue to use it.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2017, 09:47 PM »
We call it "Mechanic in a Can" at my parts store... I use it in everything thing that I own. (Less my Diesel p.u., That gets Howes year round).
Great stuff !       :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 03:35 PM »
 i use it as preventative medicine in all my small engines and i care for about 30 or so.  rarely have a carb issue.  also toss it in my truck and notice improved fuel economy.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 04:20 PM »

I put it in everything I own

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 12:24 AM »
I vouch for sea foam,two months ago my wife's escalade all of the sudden began running badly,had a scan run,it said I had a cylinder 4 problem.Changed the plugs,plug wires,even the ignition coil,but it still had a cylinder 4 problem,and was running even worse.
   Due to the mileage on it,we were faced with selling as is,or costly repair,that's when out of desperation I added a can of seafoam to the fuel.After  one tank of gas,we still had the same problem,so I dumped another can in a fresh tank of gas,about mid way through the second tank,like magic,the old caddie began running like a new one.
   My speculation is the  fuel ejector was plugged,and it took two cans to eat through the plug,I may never know,but I'm sold on sea foam,it also did wonders for one of my generators.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 09, 2017, 09:34 AM »
I have used seafoam in all my engines for years. When using in a 2 stroke do not put directly into tank. Mix it with gas and oil first. Putting it into tank changes mix rating. I also run amsoil saber. Run everything at 80:1. Even my old boat motors from the 60s. A guy at work put some in his chainsaw gas tank because it was groggy. I don't know how much he put in but saw did not run 10 minutes. I checked it out. It was blowing 43 or so pounds compression. Pulled jug and piston and rings were toast. Transfer to cylinder was minimal though. Cleaned her up and put new piston and ring in and ran great again. I am sure it leaned out mix adding direct to tank. Great stuff when used properly.  Steve

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jul 10, 2017, 07:41 PM »
I needed my chain saw to cutup a couple of wind downed limbs the other day. It had been around three years since it had been run. I always put 1 oz. of sea foam to a gallon of gas in all of my small engines. It took me less than a half dozen pulls to get the saw started with the old gas that had been in it all that time.

When I start up the outboard on my pontoon ever spring it starts up just as easy on last years gas.

I think that I owe it all to using Sea Foam.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.