The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ion Auger Battery  (Read 5733 times)

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ion Auger Battery
« on: Mar 19, 2017, 09:39 PM »
Hello,

I have an Ion auger and the battery seems to be almost dead.  This will be my second season using it and its close to the end of its life.  I sure would have thought the batteries would last longer than this.  I have been looking online for a new battery and have been seeing them go for around $100.  My question is would any of you know what type of battery the Ion runs of?  I cant seem to get the cover off and take a look for myself as its some odd screw pattern that I dont have the right fit for.  If I can find out what type of battery it is then I thought I could order the battery online somewhere and save myself a ton of money.  I really don't want to buy an extra battery for around $100 every 2 years so Im just trying to see what type it is. 

What are your thoughts? 

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ion Auger Battery
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2017, 10:15 PM »
Take it to Batteries plus, they can tell you.
FP1

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2017, 07:08 AM »
Bummer I was really looking at getting one of these but with a battery only lasting 2 years and it's 100$ too replace I'm gonna stick with gas or propane.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2017, 08:19 AM »
Bummer I was really looking at getting one of these but with a battery only lasting 2 years and it's 100$ too replace.

I have two two-year-old batteries and both are still going strong. GT might just have a bum unit.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2017, 10:58 AM »
not typical battery wear.
Overcharging possibly? Not supposed to leave these batteries on the charger once they are full.

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2017, 01:50 PM »
not typical battery wear.
Overcharging possibly? Not supposed to leave these batteries on the charger once they are full.

Well it is possible, I leave them in the charger over night.  Thats a good idea that I didnt think of.

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2017, 01:51 PM »
Take it to Batteries plus, they can tell you.
FP1

thanks

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2017, 03:46 PM »
yeah, Id be leery of leaving it on there over night too often. They make a special not in the directions not to overcharge once its full.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2017, 05:48 PM »

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2017, 06:16 PM »
From the Ion FAQs page: "The battery is expected to last about 600-800 full charge cycles before performance will be affected." If you exceeded that in two years, you must live pretty far north!  ;D

"As I mentioned above, I spoke with an engineer from the company who gave some good advice about getting the most of the battery. First and foremost, he recommended giving the battery a full charge before each use. The battery takes between 2-3 hours for a full charge, but can sit on the charger overnight if needed. He did recommend not keeping the battery on the charger for more than 24 hours, however."

Ion Electric Ice Auger Review and Battery Use Tips | http://mix108.com/8-ion-electric-battery-powered-ice-auger-product-review-tips-and-recommendations-for-use-and-battery-life/?trackback=tsmclip

If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend calling Ion.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2017, 09:43 PM »
Bummer I was really looking at getting one of these but with a battery only lasting 2 years and it's 100$ too replace I'm gonna stick with gas or propane.
not sure if i'd let that dissuade you...2 yrs on mine...perfect..i do go the extra..on covering the bases to keep the battery running as well as possible..never leave it in the rig overnite..charge it the recommended way..blah..blah..blah. .to bad this dude is having problems with his battery...we all know there are sometimes problems with quality in mass production...lets say the majority of these batteries last 5 yrs..hopefully longer..sadder..shorte r...worth the 100 bucks..hands down...the weight..the way they go thru the ice....not haven to worry bout crappy gas..the smell...and not that many on this site care...BUT THERE IS NO SOUND...so if you care about solitude and are considerate of others....its a no brainer...i'm guessing..9 outta 10 guys on this site who own an ion....would recommend this auger...occasional battery issue....aside...

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2017, 10:39 PM »
Sounds good guys, thanks for the thoughts and the help

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.